HP Touchpad & magazine scans

amagfanm

I'm new to posting but not I've been a member for awhile. I was wondering if anyone that has an HP touchpad, how does the scanned pictures look from magazines? Do they look fairly clear without zooming? Is the resolution of the pad enough for reading? I am considering buying one and a main reason was reading old mags on the tablet. I know they have ComicShelf HD and will plan on getting that too if I get a touchpad. Thanks for any info on this! Awesome site!!!

• Retromags Curator

I think clearness depends on the size of the screen. If the screen is small, like iPad size, it might not be clear enough to read comfortably. I haven't heard any bad reviews as far as the screen quality on the HP Touchpad, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I find just about all tablets have screens that are too small, especially if you want to use it to read magazine scans. The biggest screen I have seen on a tablet is 12.1" on the Asus Eee Slate, which is the one I want. It's also one of the most expensive tablets out there.

I think clearness depends on the size of the screen. If the screen is small, like iPad size, it might not be clear enough to read comfortably. I haven't heard any bad reviews as far as the screen quality on the HP Touchpad, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I find just about all tablets have screens that are too small, especially if you want to use it to read magazine scans. The biggest screen I have seen on a tablet is 12.1" on the Asus Eee Slate, which is the one I want. It's also one of the most expensive tablets out there.

Yeah well ... it might be 12.1" but it's widescreen so a waste of time as far as any books other than novels are concerned.

Not really. The screen looks more like it's 16:10 than 16:9. It looks like it would be good for magazines. I will stick to paper when it comes to books.

I have a TouchPad and it's nearly 10 inches diagonally, with 1024x768 screen, so 4x3. I have been reading photography magazines on it this week as a test (in PDF format using the built-in Adobe Reader) and I must say it's pretty good.

I am downloading the ComicShelf HD program and will test it with a GamePro CBR in an hour or so.

I downloaded and installed ComicShelf HD and am surprised how good it is. Granted, I didn't have high expectations, but the image quality is really good. This might also be due to the high quality of our scans. I loaded up a GamePro from the mid-90s and I had no problem reading all text, without needing to zoom in. The only downside I see so far is not being able to see 2 pages when rotating the screen into landscape mode. This doesn't both me too much as I like to just focus on a single page at a time when reading.

There is a fairly active thread here (http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-coding/287405-comicshelf-hd-now-app-catalog.html) about the development of the app and showing 2 screens was one thing that several users brought up to the developer. My guess is that it'll become a feature sometime this year.

All in all, I think $1.99 was a good price for the app.

• Retromags Curator

So did everyone but me know about the $99 fire sale on those HP Touchpads? I would have bought one at that price just for the hell of it even though I plan on getting an Asus Eee Slate. By the way, kbf, it was the Asus Eee Slate that I was referring to with the 16:10 comment. The Asus is still my darling and the one I intend on buying, but I would have loved a Touchpad as well.

I upgraded my 32GB wifi iPad to a 64GB 3G iPad2 the other day and I like the lighter weight and slimmer size etc. Both the Touchpad and iPad are better than any other Android tablet simply because the 4:3 screen is more suited to the magazine/book layout, and by book I mean non-fiction as opposed to fiction formats. The Android widescreens are fine for ebooks and more than likely comics look fine on them as well but 4:3 is better suited overall. My mate has a Xoom and I am not impressed with the page display on that thing at all.

If I need a 12" display I'll pull my Toshiba Portege Tablet laptop out of the cupboard.

So did everyone but me know about the $99 fire sale on those HP Touchpads? I would have bought one at that price just for the hell of it even though I plan on getting an Asus Eee Slate. By the way, kbf, it was the Asus Eee Slate that I was referring to with the 16:10 comment. The Asus is still my darling and the one I intend on buying, but I would have loved a Touchpad as well.

I actually got pretty lucky and was one of the 10% of OnSale orders that went through and wasn't cancelled. Funny thing is that I had no idea about it until my friend was tweeting about it on the Sunday after the price drop. I thought about it and asked him why get a TouchPad if he already had an Ipad 2. He replied with "Because they are only $100". At that point I immediately went on Amazon.com and placed an order. The first one didn't go through but the 2nd did and I received my TouchPad last week. I've been very happy with it and probably would have paid $200 for it. I also have an order with HP for 2 32GB models for friends that are now on back-order and won't be shipped out (according to HP) for at least 6-8 weeks.

I have a TouchPad and it's nearly 10 inches diagonally, with 1024x768 screen, so 4x3. I have been reading photography magazines on it this week as a test (in PDF format using the built-in Adobe Reader) and I must say it's pretty good.

Could you have a look at my site http://www.oldgamemags.com and tell me if the new page format of the Hyper mags looks okay on the Touchpad? Issues 122,127 have been formatted to make them display better on these devices so I'd been interested in your thoughts.

Cheers .... Kiwi