Bill Kunkle (Game Doctor from Electronic Games) Passed Away Today

Joseph4587

I have learned to day that the Game Doctor, Bill Kunkel, passed away today. He as well as Arnie Katz and Joyce Worley are THE biggest reason I fell in love with videogames as a young child. His passion for the industry was as apparent back then as it was today and all video game journalists owe a debt of gratitude to pioneers such as him for laying the groundwork for them to follow. I was lucky enough to meet him on a few occasions and he simply could not have been nicer to me. I will forever cherish those moments.

While I hope in the coming days that those close to him celebrate his life and that he is fondly remembered by his peers in the industry, for just today, I am saddened to hear of his passing and my condolences go out to his family.

For more information, here is the source of the news:

http://www.j2games.com/new/forum/index.php?topic=6356.0

Wow, that's a shame.. What a huge loss! Didn't triverse or someone have contact with him occasionally?

Yes, I was in contact with on a regular basis, had many irons in the fire with him actually (now they won't come to fruition). He is going to be seriously missed. Hell, I cried when I found out about his passing. He was like a friend, and treated me like one from day one. I tear up a little bit every time I see his "Confessions of The Game Doctor" book that I won in a contest hosted by the gaming store he was co-owner of.

Anyone have any fond memories of Bill that they would like to share? Maybe a favorite Game Doctor reply/question or article he wrote (he wrote for over 30 years, surely there are fans of something he wrote out there).

For me, it is his book, Confessions of the Game Doctor. It really didn't pull any punches on his life, ups and downs, everything seemed to be written there with extremely very little omitted, maybe a non important persons name or something but nothing major.

He started something that has brought all of us here and at Out-of-Print and all of the gaming sites out there, together in one way or another because without Bill, there would probably not have been gaming magazines, gaming blogs and certainly no Retromags or Out-of-Print to archive those gaming mags.

• 6 months later...