Simple Bandwidth-saving Idea

jbbdude

I have a great idea... has anyone heard of Coral CDN? It is a massively expansive cache of pages that contains nearly every file, page and site on the web. To access the cache of a page, you just add ".nyud.net:8080" to the domain... while this would NOT work for things like attack system, boards, arcade, etc., we COULD simply put all image bandwidth onto that project, as well as adding more DOWNLOADABLE scans to the site and using that project and SEEDING the torrents on it... i donno. just an idea. any comments as to plausibility, if it will be done, etc, etc.

This way, Phillyman saves money and less premium subscriptions need to be bought... PLUS if ha wanted, he probably COULD store his flash FILES there and have them be loaded by the forum... w/e. JUST IDEAS!!!

Also, if this site added to it more than a forum, lilke adding a wiki to the site... that could be sweet... and pretty easily re-programmable w/php to work with the forum login system...

Basically, this is an idea thread. I start off w/these. I COULD put them in separate threads, but i figure it wouldn't be fair cuz i'd get more posat count and gil... which i do want, but that's besides the point, it might be unethical...

sry, again, didn't mean to post again, but had to clarify...

to get a site on coral...

for example, i have a (sucky) sonic site at (don't go here) http://www.geocities.com/jbbdude@sbcglobal...page/index.html. However, since my Yahoo! Geocities bandwidth runs away quick (I'm on free... i am ALWAYS on the cheap), I mirror it at (go HERE) http://www.geocities.com.NYUD.NET:8080...page/index.html.

(the link might be wrong, might actually be at .htm... w/e, u get the point)

i give the second link out so noone gets an error message saying that my bandwidth has been exceeded. Although it won't happen to the forum NOW... u could add more to the site if you could mirror using Coral servers, like another seeder on a torrent or DOWNLOADABLE content rather than torrents... that way, no software is needed on the user end other than decompress/view...

Philly, you using GoDaddy hosting too? :)

jbbdude: That site has limitations too. For example, it doesn't work with files over 50 megs, which a lot of the mags are. Not to mention, there are a few reasons why it would not be advantageous to necessarily have magazines just out there to get without either the need for a small donation (I hope Philly keeps this $2 a month thing, and I hope lots of people signed up, it's worth it), or the use of other services.

I plan to use some available file hosting services more shortly for parts of "the big torrent", to rekindle some of the fervor of it again.