GamePro is No More

E-Day

• Retromags Curator

Today, it was announced that GamePro would cease to exist. On December 5th, GamePro's site will shut down as an independent site. PC World will be taking over the gaming duties with GamePro being a "channel" of the PC World site (http://www.pcworld.com/gamepro). The magazine is also finished. After ending the regular run of the magazine, they switched to quarterly. To me, that signaled the beginning of the end, but I didn't know it would only be one issue before they folded.

Even though the magazine was less than great the last couple of years, it still sucks to see them fold after 22 years. It was the first gaming magazine I ever read, so it's more special to me than any other gaming magazine.

With GamePro folding, it leaves Nintendo Power and Game Informer as the last of the old guard still remaining without any publishing interruptions. Funny that a magazine focused on one company's systems outlasted almost all the multi platform magazines out there. It's just too bad that GamePro couldn't adapt to the times.

• Retromags Curator

To be fair, even Nintendo Power ceased being a house organ back in 2007 when they contracted their publishing out to Future. Having the finances of the single most recognizable name in video games standing behind your magazine can't possibly hurt though. :)

I'm sorry to see GamePro go, though I stopped reading them religiously in the mid-90s. I haven't kept up with their ups and downs in recent years, but I had hopes that going quarterly might see them through to brighter days. It seems that isn't the case, and it's a shame. I dip my controller in their honour, and shed a tear that they have gone quietly into the night. It shouldn't have ended like this.

*huggles*

Areala

• Retromags Curator

I stopped reading it in at the end of 1995 or the beginning of 1996. The arrival of the 32-bit systems didn't interest me, plus I did not like some of the changes they made to the magazine. The biggest one was changing the ratings faces. They probably wanted to go for a more mature look (I think I remember reading that the ratings guy has grown up or something), but the drawings for them were just awful. And then they changed again to include a torso (even worse). Some other layout changes annoyed me as well. But I think it was mostly the shift to 32-bit, because I didn't read any game magazines at that point.

I subscribed almost three years ago, and kept it going until the start of this year. The magazine was decent at the start of 2009, but then they did the big redesign, and it got worse for me. A lot of wasted spaces with their huge margins, and a layout similar to all the other magazines (black text on a white background, nothing really original). I let my subscription die at the start of this year, but then wanted to subscribe again in the early fall because even though the magazine wasn't good, I knew their circulation was low, so I wanted to help them, even if I was only one person. But by that point I could not because the stopped subscriptions and eventually changed formats. Then eventually died.

I guess for me the magazine in the last few years was GamePro only in name. Nothing else about it resembled the magazine I used to read. If IDG is smart and does something with the legacy stuff they have, then maybe this was a good thing. But it still sucks.

It is fascinating to see Nintendo Power outlive such other giants of the industry. I don't feel that the magazine has been a truly enjoyable read for years, and that includes nearly all five of the years when I was actually subscribed to it. NP seems to be more a legacy magazine that only diehards subscribe to or those who enjoy the retrospectives.

Magazines come ... magazines go ... just look at the volume of UK mags that were cancelled or merged into other titles within only 1 - 3 years ... Personal Computing Today, Games Computing, Computer Gamer, Atari ST Review, SNES Force .. the list goes on.

So while it is disappointing that Gamepro has folded it might be better to actually celebrate how long it lasted instead? As 22 years sounds like a pretty darned good run in my eyes.

• Retromags Curator

It is. The only better run is Nintendo Power. But with both those magazines (and most others), they are so different now than they used to be that it's almost like they are completely different magazines. But there is a lot tied to the name of a magazine, and while they had a long run, it's still sad to see them go as they aren't merging with anybody. They are just disappearing. It sucks when any magazine folds.

Gaming magazines are in decline. Mostly all people now that travel have a phone which can access the internet and view such sites such as VG to get the info they want.

Magazines had their time & place for me, but I won't be spending £5 for some publication where I can pretty much view the same + plus more on the net.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

That doesn't count since it's not a print magazine. I don't have much interest in current magazines in digital format.

Well, unless people have been lying to me, it will be a print magazine, just also available in digital format. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

I liked Gamepro sometimes, though i remember them giving bad scores to some games that I and other magazines/websites thought were good.

Every magazine/site has done that though. But for the most part, when I read it in the early to mid 90s, their scores were in line with EGM's for the most part.