Super Mario Bros. The Movie -- Amazon/IMDb Scores

Redstar

Would you like to help us in our goal to get the film re-released on DVD or even Blu-Ray? The best way to do this is by helping to raise awareness of the film while also showing that there's popular support and demand for it. If Disney, Nintendo and/or other distribution companies see that the film has interest they'll have to re-think the way they've been treating it.

Right now the film holds an average score of 3.7 stars out of 5 on Amazon and 3.8 out of 10 on IMDb. These scores were much lower in the past, but due to changing perceptions have slowly gone up over the last few years. It could certainly be much higher if we network and get as many people as possible to submit high scores.

This is where you -- the fans -- come in. We need your help to make this possible. We need you all to submit high scores to these sites and any others you come across. If you have an Amazon account, we implore you to submit a 5 or 4-star review to the site. All you have to say is why you enjoy the film and why you feel a re-release would be beneficial. That's all.

imdbrj.png

With IMDb, all you need is an account. From there you just click the full 10 stars. While the film may not deserve such a high rating it is necessary to counteract the many 1-star ratings it certainly doesn't deserve as well.

We all know that the film is much better than most people give it credit for. Demonstrating that it has fans through changing the way sites score it is only the first step in getting a re-release. We can do this with your help. I realize many of you may not especially enjoy the film, but at the very least I would hope that you can appreciate the work that was put into it as well as our desire as fans to see it finally respect for its role in the film industry.

Please consider this topic and feel free to post your thoughts or reviews here.

I haven't seen the whole movie, but I have seen parts of it. And from what I have seen, 3.8 out of 10 is a very generous score. This is one of those movies that is so bad it needs to be released again so it can be made fun of.

It's really not that bad at all. When it first came out generally everything but the pacing was praised for being revolutionary, creative or just plain fun. The special effects team literally had to invent new technology to create the digital effects seen in the film, much like Jurassic Park's team did.

Yes, the film has flaws. It's not a very faithful adaptation, the tone is all over the place and it doesn't seem to know who its audience is... But, despite all that, it's just a fun movie. In our interviews we've found that over 30 minutes of footage was deleted. This footage featured character arcs for Mario and Luigi, more dinosaurs, more special effects and a political subplot for Koopa.

Nearly all of the cast/crew we've interviewed has expressed the sentiment that a re-cut would bring the film closer to its original vision while also making it a much more enjoyable watch. They've also volunteered to return to the project to make this cut happen. This is what we're working for.

Honestly, I've watched this movie again about 6 months ago trying to give it a good run. But... the movie is horrid. I can't believe how bad the story is and it does not do the Mario Brothers justice at all. This move never should have been made. Goomba's were super retarded; the cast was not thought out, and the script lacks anything of value.

Honestly, I've watched this movie again about 6 months ago trying to give it a good run. But... the movie is horrid. I can't believe how bad the story is and it does not do the Mario Brothers justice at all. This move never should have been made. Goomba's were super retarded; the cast was not thought out, and the script lacks anything of value.

It's funny that you think the story is bad considering it's essentially exactly what happened in the original games:

* Two plumber brothers rescue a princess from a dinosaur-dragon tyrant in a strange, new world. (Super Mario Bros. 1, 3, World)

* Koopa transforms dissidents into objects (Super Mario Bros. 1) and the King into a creature (Super Mario Bros. 3)

* The gateway to the new world is activated through use of a metallic egg (Super Mario Bros. 2)

* Yoshi is kept prisoner by Koopa until saved by Mario (Super Mario World)

As for the Goombas: weren't they already 'super retarded' in the original games? It should also be pointed out that they were twice as tall as regular Mario and equal in height to Super Mario.

The movie is a lot more faithful than people give it credit for.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that i'm one of the very few people that actually likes this movie. Ok, it's not palm d'or material but c'mon, what else can you do with a story like Mario Bros... it's ok, it's not as horribly bad as many people think. I don't know... maybe the reason i like the movie is because i watched it when i was a kid or because my opinion is biased by my nostalgia glasses lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was 16 or 17 I think when this came out. Was a huge gamer and fan of mario. After about a week, i heard such bad things about it I never went to see it in the theatre. Still havn't gotten around to watching it after all these years. Not sure it's worth a blue ray, but I might slip the dvd into my queue now that you've reminded me of it.

It's funny that you think the story is bad considering it's essentially exactly what happened in the original games:

* Two plumber brothers rescue a princess from a dinosaur-dragon tyrant in a strange, new world. (Super Mario Bros. 1, 3, World)

* Koopa transforms dissidents into objects (Super Mario Bros. 1) and the King into a creature (Super Mario Bros. 3)

* The gateway to the new world is activated through use of a metallic egg (Super Mario Bros. 2)

* Yoshi is kept prisoner by Koopa until saved by Mario (Super Mario World)

As for the Goombas: weren't they already 'super retarded' in the original games? It should also be pointed out that they were twice as tall as regular Mario and equal in height to Super Mario.

The movie is a lot more faithful than people give it credit for.

But for every point brought up that pays lip service to the surface of SMB, it just crashes and burns on everything else. A human Koopa? Tiny wind up Bobombs? Goombas with tiny dino heads and huge bodies (instead of the huge, angry faced mushrooms?)? An underground city? The whole dinosaur-returning-to-Earth angle?

If you see it as a non-SMB, though, I'll grant that it's not as horrid. But to fans of the games, that's like saying if you play Ninja Gaiden III and not think of it as Ninja Gaiden, that it's a good game. Or watch Spirits Within and not expect it to be a Final Fantasy film, even though it has Final Fantasy in the title.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm honestly surprised to see just how many responses to this topic were made since I last visited. It's even more surprising how many of those responses are from people defending the film, or at least its ability to be enjoyed. I appreciate that.

Whether you enjoy the film or not, everything should be preserved. The DVD release just does not cut it. It's not even widescreen. They could easily put out an updated release that fixes all the problems of the DVD.

• 1 month later...

I think the crowd has spoken as far as the movie's ranking. I do have a soft spot for the movie myself, though I'll admit it disappointed me when it first came out. I enjoyed many of the references to the games and Nintendo peripherals, and the feel of a dark alternate dinosaur-descended New York... but it just wasn't what I was looking for in a Mario movie I suppose. I still collected the Seven-eleven cups and toys and such that summer, got 3 of the main action figures that I wanted. Looked around everywhere for a goomba action figure too but never did find one. Nowadays ebay makes tracking one down easy, but whoops-a-Daisy! I kind of don't care anymore.

I'd like it if Nintendo put this, both the Mario & Donkey Kong cartoon series, and the old Mario anime OVA onto a collector's edition bluray. Nostaligia fiends would swarm.

I agree. The score is sitting at 3.9 as opposed to the 3.7 we started at, which may not seem like much of a difference but is actually quite an accomplishment. Before we started this push there were only 209 reviews while there are now 265.

We went from 87 5-star reviews to 133 and 46 4-star reviews to 55. I think we're making a difference, even if it takes awhile for the system to average out a discernable higher score.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's worth a few extra points for Bob Hoskins... that's about it. I remember Bob revealing in an interview that he had major problems with the directors; husband and wife co-directors. He said that they had caused all of the movies problems. It isnt without its goofy charm, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Fact.

Sorry OP, if IMDB registration process was not so annoying, the only thing this movie would get from me would be a bad score. A really really bad score. So... luck you?