OK, so how could I make a torrent for you guys?

Garg

Garg which files and magazines do you have? We'll have to figure out exactly what we have at this point, then get everything together according to which issues of what magazine we have and make sure it's as complete as possible, then we'll start the torrent up if this is the route we go.

The mods are still in talks to come to a conclusion but we can use anything you've got. Thank you!

• Retromags Curator

What I am thinking of doing is creating an FTP account so that when we figure what everyone has, people can upload what I don't have to the FTP account, and then I can download them. I should have had a copy of everything on the site to avoid the who-has-what issue, but I never counted on MegaUpload being shut down.

• Retromags Curator

I've removed the link because that torrent contains issues that go past the December 1999 cutoff rule for magazines still in publication that this site adheres to. Even though it's an offsite torrent, it's still being linked to from here, which is a no-no.

The newest issue in that torrent was from 9 years ago. I didn't think it would be a big deal since these 9+ year old issues are not being hosted on the site. I also didn't think it was an issue because you stated in another post that you would be willing to host some of KiwiArcader's uploads on the FTP, many of which go into the 2000's. content isn't being hosted here on the site. I don't want to be rude, but some of those post-1999 issues were originally hosted here on Retromags (like the June 2000 issue). And you haven't been exactly clear on how you are going to move forward. I offered to upload a bunch of issues to the FTP, and you ignored my postings.

• Retromags Curator

I have been clear. Everything that was in the Download Manager when MegaUpload went down are the issues I want to get back. The June 2000 issue of Nintendo Power was not one of them. It hasn't been in the Download Manager in three or so years. The site rules (see here), clearly spells out the rules. Anything post-2000 on the site are magazines that are no longer in print. And while some of KiwiArcader's go into the 2000's, I would only host the ones that abided by this site's rules.

And I sent you a private message about the FTP account, with the login credentials and how to do it. So no, I didn't ignore your posts.

I have lots, but mostly renamed (in the style "Super Play 36 Oct 1995").

I still don't know how to make a torrent (as in: how to share it - where to upload or whatever, I figured out how to make a file).

If you made a torrent file all you have to do is upload it to a torrent site like pirate bay, but make sure you seed the torrent for awhile or no one else will be able to download it.

Anything post-2000 on the site are magazines that are no longer in print. And while some of KiwiArcader's go into the 2000's, I would only host the ones that abided by this site's rules.

Yep ... I am taking a different approach to E-Day. I have a cut-off date of Dec 2004 for ALL mags but where the mag is defunct I make a judgement call on it. Generally, I am more relaxed if the magazine is for a console that is no longer produced or is a previous generation, eg, the PS2 is okay for releasing 2004/2005 mags dedicated to it while a combo mag with PS2/PS3 content is a total no-go. So is releasing mags that are currently able to be obtained via digital delivery. EG, Retro Gamer have every issue available through the Apple store so no scanning those while Edge only has 2011 content available so up to 2005 is okay UNLESS they start making earlier back issues available at which point they also become verboten.

I find taking a hard and fast date approach is rather ridiculous as everything we scan other than the ones we have permission to do is rather illegal and there are no shades of grey as far as the law is concerned. I think the reason some publishers turn a blind eye to us isn't so much the date/age of the content but that it actually is free publicity. I have signed up for a subscription to both Games Master and Edge as a result of obtaining old mags to scan.