Electronic Gaming Monthly... Is it DEAD?

spoonman

I notice something about that last EGM cover that Spoonman posted. It says, "Summer" beside the UPC, which brings me to an idea. Why can't game magazines be quarterly? I may be one of the few on here that reads Grassroots Motorsport, but they only put out something like 8 issues a year. But you know, they're always pretty good. I think it's a viable model for a low circulation magazine.

I say leave the "news" out of it, and leave it strictly editorial, features, etc.

Yay! I got my new EGM today too. I scanned through the issue, and it seems to be getting better. I have to give props to EGM for trying. The fact that they survived this long within the confines of such a weak economy shows they got some passion. The current issue (#260.0) brought back two old features, "After Thoughts" and "Grudge Match." Plus, the "EGM's Top 20, Our Favorite Game Systems of All Time," section is a cool feature as well. EGM is beginning to get a little old school again, both magazine-wise and retro gaming for the fan-service. I hope this is a sign of better things to come for the magazine.

Yeah, I suspect you guys are right on the quarterly thing. Better than nothing though... Almost hate to say it, but it seems like we've lived through the golden era of gaming magazines. Mostly speaking about the 90's, personally.

I notice something about that last EGM cover that Spoonman posted. It says, "Summer" beside the UPC, which brings me to an idea. Why can't game magazines be quarterly? I may be one of the few on here that reads Grassroots Motorsport, but they only put out something like 8 issues a year. But you know, they're always pretty good. I think it's a viable model for a low circulation magazine.

I say leave the "news" out of it, and leave it strictly editorial, features, etc.

I agree. I can get my news and previews and reviews online. But I think print is a good media to allow for deep editorials and thought-out features. Most of the content I read online is brief and matter of fact, it would be nice to read a deep editorial every now and then.

• Retromags Curator

Not sure how to edit my last post, but it does appear they've gone quartly. My subscription label says I'm good through 'J/A 14.'

What was it on the last issue?

Mine finally arrived today. Not bad so far, but most of the games are ones I have no interest in, which makes a difference. Their Top 20 consoles article was fun though.

I can't recall what mine said on the last issue. I'll have to pay attention on the next one. I was encouraged with the opening editorial where they talked about the changes made to the magazine, it sounds like they intend to continue publishing it and are putting a lot of work into the content. So far I'm happy with the additions they've made, it's nice they're incorporating some of the old sections. I think I'll like their top 20 feature - still one of my favorite features from the old mag was their 100 (or was it 150?) greatest games. I still wish the magazine had some more content in it, or *crosses fingers* would revert back to a monthly schedule.

Edited by kartracer3

• Retromags Curator

I think the 82 pages it currently has will be as big as it gets. Without more ads they won't add more pages, and I doubt they will get more ads. I feel like the ads they get aren't so much because the publishers think it's a good investment as much as it is a good will gesture.

I was just contemplating that the other day, the lack of advertising I mean. At first it I was thinking how unusual it was reading a magazine with only a few ads, but then I realized that probably isn't a good thing as the magazine probably needs as much revenue as possible from ads.

Edit: Heck, I remember the magazine from the early 2000's, it seemed like the left side pages were editorial content while the right side pages were ads.

Edited by kartracer3

Anyone notice a lot of glitching on the text in this issue?
I guess it must have been problems with their printing machine.
EGM_zps2d5ef89f.jpg
Not the best example, but the other pics came out even worse (cheap camera on iPod Touch)
You can see a bit of it here: "Do you think everyone has seen it".... Missing text....

I think it's just in your copy. Because the example you gave us is different in my issue. It reads: Do you think everyone has seen it?

It's just a question from the reader. I don't believe there are any more text afterwards. Your copy also ended with a quote and mine doesn't.

I think it's just in your copy. Because the example you gave us is different in my issue. It reads: Do you think everyone has seen it?

It's just a question from the reader. I don't believe there are any more text afterwards. Your copy also ended with a quote and mine doesn't.

Thanks for the info. I've emailed EGM about getting a replacement since more pages are like this.. fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Like Spoonman, I too fondly remember the early issues of EGM. With the exception of Video Games and Computer Entertainment, most game magazines were really bad and rehashed the same old stuff- Game Player, GamePro, Nintendo Power, etc. Electronic Gaming Monthly was the first magazine that really gave us a glimpse into what was happening in Japan and previews of mysterious foreign games and systems. They were also the first to have a decent "rumors" column, which was by far my favorite part of the magazine. The only other magazine that did similar coverage was Diehard Gamefan, but they were horrible reviewers- most games scored in the 90% range and almost nothing rated below a 70%.

Unfortunately, EGM lost most of it's magic in the mid-90's. Luckily for me, my all time favorite magazine, Next-Generation(sister mag to the U.K.'s EDGE), began publication and I was set until it's recent demise.

Edited by apw100

• 2 months later...

Heads up for Issue #261

Anyone receive it yet?

Issue #260 said "display until September 23rd, 2013" so I would assume we should be seeing #261 soon, otherwise we may not see it at all.

I got my latest EGM issue today! Check it out below. My digital camera is not the best. The caption at the bottom left reads, "EGM Number 261.0, Fall, Display Until 12/15/2013." So this is the Fall 2013 Issue. Looks like EGM is going quarterly now, which is the same route Gamepro took before it collapsed.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images§

I got my latest EGM issue today! Check it out below. My digital camera is not the best. The caption at the bottom left reads, "EGM Number 261.0, Fall, Display Until 12/15/2013." So this is the Fall 2013 Issue. Looks like EGM is going quarterly now, which is the same route Gamepro took before it collapsed.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images§

Wow, nice timing eh? :)

Thanks for letting us know.

I'm glad they lasted long enough to have a PS4 launch cover, and I hope they can keep it going.