Electronic Gaming Monthly... Is it DEAD?

spoonman

• Retromags Curator

The fine print still says it is a bi-monthly magazine, so that is good.

Anyhow, I see that a couple of you got the PS4 cover; I got the Xbone cover. Can someone who got the PS4 cover scan it (or at least take a very good picture of it) and send it to me? That way we can have both covers in the gallery (I assume they didn't do a third Wii U cover).

The fine print still says it is a bi-monthly magazine, so that is good.

Anyhow, I see that a couple of you got the PS4 cover; I got the Xbone cover. Can someone who got the PS4 cover scan it (or at least take a very good picture of it) and send it to me? That way we can have both covers in the gallery (I assume they didn't do a third Wii U cover).

They probably just forgot to change it. We are now seeing them every 4 months.

Summer 2013

Fall 2013

I'm guessing the next will be Winter 2013 (Mid December)

What's strange is that, according to EGM's customer service, I still have the same expiration date. Even though I am getting half as many issues now.

Here's my pic (2000x1500px)

EGM-261%28Fall2013%29-vgo.jpg

Can you take a picture that is straight on. I want it to look as close to a scan as possible if it can't be a scan :)

I have in the past, but the glare from the flash makes it so you can't see a large portion of the cover.

Here's the next best thing. I adjusted it in Photoshop. Not perfect, but it should do.

EGM-261-straightened-vgo.jpg

I found that if you take the picture from a very slight angle, the flash problem goes away. I'll use this one in the interim until I can procure a perfect one. Thanks!

No problem.

That was the angle where the flash disappeared.

It would have been better if the cover wasn't turned up a bit. It needs to be flattened for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone get this in the mail yet?

WIN_20131029_144218.jpg

It looks like a special issue ($9.99 price), but it seems to have been sent as part of my subscription.

Cool, thanks for sharing.

I haven't received it yet, but hopefully I will.

It reminds me of the old EGM Buyer's Guide editions

egm1989_buyers_guide.jpg

I think they should release a "Best Of" issue next year to commemorate 25 years of EGM.

With enough promotion I think they would sell quite a few of them, and in addition, they might even get more subbers.

I still want to know why I was sent this, if there is an XBone version, and if it counts against my subscription.

And in this day and age, these kinds of magazines are pretty pointless...

Cool, thanks for the update. I hope I get my copy soon. I wouldn't say pointless, since some folks would still rather have a physical guide, especially for holiday shopping. Future US recently published Xbox One and PS4 guides that I saw at the magazine racks. I think they're doing this to take advantage of the next-gen console launches that only happens once every 8-10 years these days. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Guide from EGM today. It's also the PS4 Guide to Next-Gen Video games. So if any of you got the Xbox One version, please let us know. Although in the editorial, EGM seems to be supporting the PS4 as explained that Sony is making a comeback this generation. And then at the end, they make a next-gen console comparison to make our choices easier. I don't think there is a Xbox One Guide. I even checked Ebay, and there is only the PS4 issue.

I stumbled on this thread while working on some stuff for EGM. As one of the two art directors who have been with the magazine since the re-launch I can assure you that EGM is not dead. We are working on a new print issue as I type this and it should be in your mailbox and on the newsstands in January.

There is also an XBOX magazine, similar to the PS4 one, coming in the mail soon for subscribers.

There will also be a new electronic version of EGM as well as some one-shot digital books and other magazines in 2014.

Hopefully, we will also start releasing back issues of "classic EGM" through our soon to be released electronic newsstand. As a long-time past (1993-2001) and current EGM employee (2008 - now) preserving the history of the magazine by making back issues available at a reasonable cost electronically is an important side project for me.

We update www.egmnow.com all day, every day and have a great staff of writers feeding content into that.

Also, our staff creates a print and digital magazine called Walmart GameCenter which can be found free of charge in the game section of your local Walmart. Here is the link to the digital version of the magazine:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/walmart-gamecenter-magazine/id484293781?mt=8

I generally never post stuff in public about EGM but I wanted to tell you that things are good, we have a great staff and hope to bring you lots of cool stuff next year.

But please, if you have any words of scorn or praise, speak up! It's always nice to know what readers are thinking about our magazines.

:arc:

• Retromags Curator

Well, that is good news. The erratic release schedule of the magazine had a lot of wondering if there were issues. I am glad to hear that thongs are going well despite the game magazine environment.

So, do these special next-gen console guides count towards a subscribers count? I need to check when my sub expires; I think it's soon.

If I have any scorn, it's the lack of Nintendo coverage and over coverage of shooter after shooter after shooter (and the abundance of coverage for generally violent games). But that is what the market wants, I suppose.

Keep on trucking! I look forward to the long promised electronic newsstand!

• Retromags Curator

Wow, well let me be the first to say .....Welcome to Retromags. I think I speak for all of us, when I say that we were heartbroken when EGM stopped publishing. To hear that all is well with the relaunch, is fantastic. The news about you releasing digital versions of classic EGM........is amazing! I grew up on EGM magazine, it shaped what systems and games I bought. Any chance we will ever see an issue that will beat EGM #65's page count?

I stumbled on this thread while working on some stuff for EGM. As one of the two art directors who have been with the magazine since the re-launch I can assure you that EGM is not dead. We are working on a new print issue as I type this and it should be in your mailbox and on the newsstands in January.

There is also an XBOX magazine, similar to the PS4 one, coming in the mail soon for subscribers.

There will also be a new electronic version of EGM as well as some one-shot digital books and other magazines in 2014.

Hopefully, we will also start releasing back issues of "classic EGM" through our soon to be released electronic newsstand. As a long-time past (1993-2001) and current EGM employee (2008 - now) preserving the history of the magazine by making back issues available at a reasonable cost electronically is an important side project for me.

We update www.egmnow.com all day, every day and have a great staff of writers feeding content into that.

Also, our staff creates a print and digital magazine called Walmart GameCenter which can be found free of charge in the game section of your local Walmart. Here is the link to the digital version of the magazine:

I generally never post stuff in public about EGM but I wanted to tell you that things are good, we have a great staff and hope to bring you lots of cool stuff next year.

But please, if you have any words of scorn or praise, speak up! It's always nice to know what readers are thinking about our magazines.

Well, thanks for an update on EGM, and I welcome you to Retromags as well! Yes, EGM and Nintendo Power were my favorite childhood magazines. I have 99% of all EGM print issues since the beginning (I'm only missing a few). So you can see that EGM has always been my top priority in reading about the video game world.

It would be nice if EGM would have at least have a section dedicated to retro, hardcore, and niche gaming from around the globe, similar to the way it was in the past. The internet and pretty much all magazines out there are focused on the latest trends on gaming, and believe me, it is getting quite boring. It would be nice to read about European, Japanese, and maybe Korean games that would probably never come over here, but still a slight chance it will make it to the states. You never know, publicity in EGM may make the Japanese think twice about releasing a rare JRPG over here.

Otherwise, best wishes to a healthy rebound of EGM in 2014! I look forward to the classic, digital release of EGM issues!

Welcome aboard Greylids! Always cool to talk to people in the gaming mag industry. Among the "old school" mags (EGM, Gamepro, NP), I can easily say that EGM was my favorite. Looking forward to seeing what you guys have in store for the new year. Best wishes with all that. Once I get into the new house, I may have to subscribe, finally. =)

As for out doing issue #65 Philly, I doubt that will ever happen, with ANY magazine. If it does, however, I may need to get a sturdier coffee table! =P