Electronic Gaming Monthly... Is it DEAD?

spoonman

I saw issue 262 on the news stand today. It's labeled as "Winter". There are also 4 covers for the magazines 25th anniversary. The cover art is the same, but they have used 4 different logos, including the horrid EGM pixelated one. The Walmart near my work had three copies, and I am guessing the cover that is 1 of 4 is the one with the original EGM logo on it. I need to find out if I am getting this issue in the mail.

There is also an interesting article inside about the magazine and gaming from the magazines inception to now, with bits written by formers employees, including one written by Ed Semrad about his one night in a Brazilian jail. I want to know what that's about!

EDIT: Checking my emails, I apparently renewed my subscription near the end of November for 2 years. I had completely forgotten.

Cool, I still like the original logo style best.

This... EGM_logo-900px_yellow-vgo.png

I miss the EGM covers where they would just use a close-up of a kick ass game..

egm04.jpg

Grabbed a copy this morning at the store since they had one with the original logo. Here is what it looks like:ank

Thanks, E-day. Sounds pretty cool, I can't wait for my copy to arrive then! I renewed my subscription as well in November. You were talking about renewing for another 2 years; so I was wondering why you would want to know when your sub will expire. I was like, "Did he change his mind about renewing?" :-)

I do like the original EGM logo as well. I hope EGM is paying attention to this thread about our ideas, rants, and so forth. Hehe.

• Retromags Curator

Apparently they are going back to using EGM as the magazine title since it's not a monthly magazine and the name EGM has more online recognition. I was disappointed when I read that on their Facebook page. That logo just reminds me of how terrible I thought the magazine was before it ended in 2009. I like this original logo as well.

I say they should stick with "Electronic Gaming Monthly", even if the physical issue isn't a monthly thing these days. Stick with the roots. Not like they're taking a break for two months after each issue, after all...

Brings a question to my mind though. Would it be possible to return to the mega issues of the mid-90's, seeing as how they are doing a quarterly publishing now? Personally, I much prefer a physical issue to a digital one, and it would be perfectly fine with me to get 3 months of gaming news and updates at once, even at the expense of being "up to date", you know?

I say they should stick with "Electronic Gaming Monthly", even if the physical issue isn't a monthly thing these days. Stick with the roots. Not like they're taking a break for two months after each issue, after all...

Brings a question to my mind though. Would it be possible to return to the mega issues of the mid-90's, seeing as how they are doing a quarterly publishing now? Personally, I much prefer a physical issue to a digital one, and it would be perfectly fine with me to get 3 months of gaming news and updates at once, even at the expense of being "up to date", you know?

I'd rather have this than EGM... :rolleyes:

EGMWhenever-vgo.png

I ended up getting the modern logo version... The only thing that sucks is that it didn't survive the mail and has a bunch of torn pages towards the back.

Well, that stinks. Didn't it come in a plastic bag, or did the mail tear that up too? When I was kid, my only subscription was Nintendo Power. And when an issue arrived late with torn pages everywhere, it was a horrible feeling to see holes and tears of my Nintendo Power in the mail. You better believe I was mad. I was such a collector, even at 13 years old.

Well, that stinks. Didn't it come in a plastic bag, or did the mail tear that up too? When I was kid, my only subscription was Nintendo Power. And when an issue arrived late with torn pages everywhere, it was a horrible feeling to see holes and tears of my Nintendo Power in the mail. You better believe I was mad. I was such a collector, even at 13 years old.

Yeah, the baggy was barely on. Not a big deal...they are sending a replacement.

My other 260+ EGM's are in mint and about 90% are unopened. I am OCD when it comes to the condition.

I used to buy 2 subscriptions so I could read one and save the other.

I need to take a new picture, but here's my collection from 2004

panoramic_mags_04.jpg

• Retromags Curator

My copy came in the mail today. I got stuck with the crappy pixelated EGM logo version, so I am glad I found a copy with the original logo on the newsstand.

The magazines need to stop with these multiple covers. It was okay 20 years ago, because the magazines were in every store and there would be at least 10 of them. Now it's hard to find them and when you do, there are only three copies.

Anyhow, if the member who get covers 2 and 3 of 4 can scan them (or take an exceptional photo of them) for the cover gallery, that would be great.

Yeah, the baggy was barely on. Not a big deal...they are sending a replacement.

My other 260+ EGM's are in mint and about 90% are unopened. I am OCD when it comes to the condition.

I used to buy 2 subscriptions so I could read one and save the other.

I need to take a new picture, but here's my collection from 2004

Very nice, spoonman! I don't have the shelving to put all my EGMs, Nintendo Powers, and Gamefans in one place. But they are all mint as well. In fact, the first few years of Nintendo Power, I put them back into protective plastic bags over a decade ago. So they look just as good as when they first arrived in the mailbox.

My copy came in the mail today. I got stuck with the crappy pixelated EGM logo version, so I am glad I found a copy with the original logo on the newsstand.

The magazines need to stop with these multiple covers. It was okay 20 years ago, because the magazines were in every store and there would be at least 10 of them. Now it's hard to find them and when you do, there are only three copies.

Anyhow, is member who get covers 2 and 3 of 4 can scan them (or take an exceptional photo of them) for the cover gallery, that would be great.

I finally got my new issue of EGM. It's cover 4 of 4 (the same ugly EGM logo you got), so sorry I don't have the cover you are looking for. I also got a renewal notice for being the last issue of my subscription from last time. I want to quote an interesting fine print at the bottom of the renewal card: "Electronic Gaming Monthly is published monthly with certain exceptions. A special issue may count as a subscription issue, a combined issue may count as two subscription issues, and there may sometimes be an extra issue."

So according to this, we never know what we will get next! But EGM has not been published monthly since August 2011! That makes it 2 1/2 years ago since the last issue that was published monthly. Maybe they should use the Nintendo Force Magazine model and try Kickstarter to bring back the original EGM with more pages and go back to monthly? EGM already has a great name and history. So getting a larger Kickstarter support than NF Magazine is not out of the question. Just a thought.

When I called in to renew my subscription earlier last month the representative insisted they were sticking to a bi-monthly publishing schedule, I don't know how much weight to put in that though. I wonder what is prohibiting them from keeping a monthly or bi-monthly publishig schedule? Do they not have enough staff to support the magazine and the website? Do they not earn enough ad and subscriber revenue to make a profit on each issue? Are the circulation numbers that poor? The Nintendo Force kickstarter idea is really interesting, but I haven't kept up with it, does it seem like it's going to pan out successfully?

When I called in to renew my subscription earlier last month the representative insisted they were sticking to a bi-monthly publishing schedule, I don't know how much weight to put in that though. I wonder what is prohibiting them from keeping a monthly or bi-monthly publishig schedule? Do they not have enough staff to support the magazine and the website? Do they not earn enough ad and subscriber revenue to make a profit on each issue? Are the circulation numbers that poor? The Nintendo Force kickstarter idea is really interesting, but I haven't kept up with it, does it seem like it's going to pan out successfully?

The Nintendo Force Magazine Kickstarter was quite successful last year. They launched the magazine and continued the Nintendo Power legacy with much fanfare. However, the initial Kickstarter funding was only enough for a year's worth of issues (7 issues, bi-monthly with the additional Jan/Feb 2014 issue). They have a new Kickstarter this year: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/910078610/nf-magazine-year-2-subscriptions for the second year of issues. In a week's time, they have nearly reached the goal already. They are soon working on stretch goals (beyond the initial funding requirement), which will allow nice foldout posters in coming issues similar to Nintendo Power and a free print copy of Nintendo Force Issue # 1 to everybody who helped with this Kickstarter!

This is expected due to Nintendo Force being a brand new venture rather than an existing one like EGM. I see Kickstarter for EGM as a boost in funding so they can catch up on renovating and bring it back to the EGM we all know and love. I have supported a few ventures on Kickstarter and Indiegogo related to video games and movies, and they were all successful in the end. People are willing to support ventures as long as there is passion, nice presentation, and a cool package to go along with the money.

Grabbed a copy this morning at the store since they had one with the original logo. Here is what it looks like:

Remember when customer service said they are going to send me another copy, since I didn't get one in December? Well, I got it today. And it's basically Issue # 262 with the original logo! It's so cool that the duplicate is what I wanted. Hehe. Well, thanks EGM for sending the replacement. I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My EGM Issue 263 has arrived! Check it out below. Because of my low resolution camera, the issue reads, "Spring 2014, Display Until 6/23/2014." From the way it looks, we are probably not going to get another issue until June, which will most likely be the "Summer 2014 Issue." Unless they do a midterm one like a buyer's guide or something in between, similar to back in November 2013.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images§

I received my issue today, although I didn't get to read through it completely, I thought it was interesting that they now hand out the "game of the issue" award in the review section, so at least they acknowledge the non-monthly format. The content of the issue is very solid (if a little light, considering the quarterly schedule) and I like the features that they have created - they've had some memorable top 20 lists, interviews, and op-eds lately. One thing I miss about the old mag is the upcoming release calendar, but that might be difficult to to with their quarterly schedule. I wonder if they won't be publishing their GOTY awards from 2013, even though it was already online so I guess it would be a little redundant.

• 2 months later...