Electronic Gaming Monthly... Is it DEAD?

spoonman

Before I saw this thread, I didn't even realize EGM was still around in any form.

I picked it up once in a while if they had a good strategy spread on something (I remember one on Real Bout Fatal Fury that had some cool artwork in it), but to be honest, they were never my favorite of the magazines. There were too many occasions where they reported incorrect information or unfounded rumors; they seemed to be the National Enquirer of video game magazines. Have they gotten better over the years?

Mine came as well this passed week. It was in a brown envelope with no return address.

What I find interesting is that it's "presented" by EGM [Now].

I finally got my copy of EGM Buyer's Guide today. It, indeed, is presented by EGM[Now], which is EGM's daily updated web site (http://www.egmnow.com). I guess because the web site is successful, it is now the real sponsor of the print publication.

Well, I hope we don't have to wait another 3-4 months to get the next EGM issue.

I wouldn't advocate anyone subscribing to this title. Better to see what turns up on shop shelves than put money down on a subscription where you might never receive anything.

Yeah, but with this last issue costing $10 at the store it would have nearly paid for the full year subscription.

If it shows up that is...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still nothing...

And I resubscribed over a month ago when promised I would receive this.

So spoonman, did you ever get your EGM Buyer's Guide? I guess it's pretty quiet as we wait for the next EGM issue. It'll probably won't be until March 2015 until we hear anything, either it be at the store or in our mailboxes.

I wish there would be better communication with the subscribers. Either send a letter or post an update on the website. Just acknowledge that there is a problem getting the magazine published in a timely fashion, the reasons, and what the future plans are for the magazine. Take Retro Magazine (the one that began on Kickstarter) for example, they had some type of problem that delayed publishing of an issue and they sent an email to subscribers warning them of the delay and detailed their plans for the next issue. Good communication is a must.

• 4 weeks later...

So spoonman, did you ever get your EGM Buyer's Guide? I guess it's pretty quiet as we wait for the next EGM issue. It'll probably won't be until March 2015 until we hear anything, either it be at the store or in our mailboxes.

Yeah, I finally did receive it.

Here's a pic.

EGM-265_2015BuyersGuide-vgo.jpg

Hopefully we will be receiving the Spring issue soon. Perhaps this month?

• 2 weeks later...

I wish there would be better communication with the subscribers. Either send a letter or post an update on the website. Just acknowledge that there is a problem getting the magazine published in a timely fashion, the reasons, and what the future plans are for the magazine. Take Retro Magazine (the one that began on Kickstarter) for example, they had some type of problem that delayed publishing of an issue and they sent an email to subscribers warning them of the delay and detailed their plans for the next issue. Good communication is a must.

Yeah, even with only 3-4 issues a year, there are still delays with every issue. I agree with kartracer3. There should be better communication to subscribers if there is going to be a delay. I believe at least an apology via e-mail would suffice for me, and I'm sure with the majority of EGM subscribers out there. RETRO and NF Magazine have been wonderful at sending updates. They keep it personal with their fanbase, sending e-mails once or twice a week, sometimes more if there are something important. I realize that RETRO and NF Magazine are crowd funding-based magazines. But good customer service is not biased to any single company or industry--it's a universal concept.

Let's hope our "Spring EGM Issue" will arrive before Summer.

i was at the store today, and while waiting for my wife, i was browsing the magazine section. there was not a single video game magazine on the racks. not one. i may have died a little inside.

Yeah, it's sad.

I hope this picture cheers you up a little. :)

MagazineRack_2015-January-vgo.jpg

These are the 3 mags I am subscribed to, Electronic Gaming "Monthly", Retro Gamer (UK Import), and Retro.

Retro Gamer is by far my favorite magazine. It always has interesting interviews and articles.

I think Game Informer is also still running, but I haven't read it in years.

• Like 1

It's still in publication at the current time even though the USA Official PlayStation edition was shuttered some time ago. Not sure how long it has though given Future PLC's recent moves to consolidate and run with just the UK versions. Mind you, look at the state of Nintendo oriented publishing now. Zilch!!. Zip!! Even if they drop back to UK versions it's still better than the black hole that is dedicated Nintendo mags ...