Electronic Gaming Monthly... Is it DEAD?

spoonman

Agreed E-Day, I doubt we'll ever see magazines that big as a common occurance, especially in the gaming side of things.

However, I do have to wonder, just how much of that Vogue issue was ads. I mean, I have most of that year where EGM went nuts with page counts (1994-1995 if I recall, they're stored at the moment), and I seem to recall at least half of those issues were ads... Not saying that it's a bad thing, ads were creative back in the day.

I'm interested in the XBone for everything but the games.

I was hoping you could connect the PS4 into the HDMI input on the Xbox One, but there is a bit of lag which would make it too hard to play most games.

I'm probably just going to hold off on the One for now.

The PS4 has some voice command stuff and we canceled our digital cable since Netflix, internet TV, and basic HD is a very cheap alternative.

I wouldn't really get much out of it right now. The video conferencing stuff is pretty cool on the One. I like how the camera follows you.

I think Microsoft should stop requiring customers to pay $60/year for Live just to use Netflix.

• Retromags Curator

I agree. Stuff like Netflix shouldn't be behind a paywall. Though if you shop around you can get a year of Live for $35. Had it once when they had 1 vs. 100.

Back on topic, it seems strange that this Xbone guide is coming out days before the Xbone itself. The PS4 one came out weeks ahead of time. Anyhow, I renewed my EGM sub for another 2 years.

I agree. Stuff like Netflix shouldn't be behind a paywall. Though if you shop around you can get a year of Live for $35. Had it once when they had 1 vs. 100.

Back on topic, it seems strange that this Xbone guide is coming out days before the Xbone itself. The PS4 one came out weeks ahead of time. Anyhow, I renewed my EGM sub for another 2 years.

Where can you subscribe for 2 years?

I only see the 1 year for $24.99 deal on egmnow.com

http://egmmag.com/subscribe/

I think they would get a lot more subscribers if they added free digital versions for each subscription.

The EGMi stuff is pretty cool and I would probably browse through it if it worked on the Kindle Fire HD.

I received a gift subscription of Entertainment Weekly and they also give you the digital versions for free. Each week you can download a new

issue to a virtual bookshelf on your Android/iOS device. It would be really neat to have this with EGM.

Maybe they could also release random classic issues from time to time to add to your virtual collection.

I have several PDF and CBR copies of old game mags on my 8.9" Kindle Fire HD and they are really fun to read this way.

• Retromags Curator

12 issues is two years. They publish every other month, remember?

And when you click to the next page where you fill out your billing info, the choice on the page is "12 print and digital issues for $24.99*". You get the digital version on PC and iPad with the print subscription.

A few months back I tried reading some of the GamePro scans from here on my Surface Pro, and later Mad Magazine. I don't know why, but I just didn't take to it. All I could think about was how I would be rather reading the actual magazine.

12 issues is two years. They publish every other month, remember?

And when you click to the next page where you fill out your billing info, the choice on the page is "12 print and digital issues for $24.99*". You get the digital version on PC and iPad with the print subscription.

A few months back I tried reading some of the GamePro scans from here on my Surface Pro, and later Mad Magazine. I don't know why, but I just didn't take to it. All I could think about was how I would be rather reading the actual magazine.

Ahh right, yeah I keep forgetting it's 6 issues per year. Maybe they should change it to Electronic Gaming Bi-Monthly. :P

I don't have an iPad. I'd probably check it out on the Kindle if they added it to the Android store.

I use Comicat to read my MAD and Retro Gamer mag collections. They look excellent on the 8.9" screen.

I don't think so. My address label had the January/February issue as my last issue, which i think is correct.

Yeah, mine also expires with the January/February 2014 issue. I contacted customer service to confirm this as well. Apparently, the Xbox One and PS4 guides were just extras for being subscribers. Looks like I will be renewing my subscription soon for another 2 years. :-)

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys! I hate to turn this into the "where's my EGM thread" but I was curious if anyone received a new issue that would be the equivalent for Spring, Jan/Feb, or whichever publishing schedule they are using. I think the last issue I received (besides the next gen buyers guides) was for Fall 2013 (#261) - i just thought there should have been another regular installment by now. Thanks!

Hey Guys! I hate to turn this into the "where's my EGM thread" but I was curious if anyone received a new issue that would be the equivalent for Spring, Jan/Feb, or whichever publishing schedule they are using. I think the last issue I received (besides the next gen buyers guides) was for Fall 2013 (#261) - i just thought there should have been another regular installment by now. Thanks!

I have not received anything since the Next Gen Buyer's guides (PS4 & Xbox One) back in November 2013. Customer service said last month that I would get a Jan/Feb 2014 issue at around December 22, 2013, but this never happened. I sent an e-mail to customer service a few minutes ago if we are getting a Jan/Feb 2014 issue or are we waiting for a Spring 2014 one. I'll update you all asap.

I have not received anything since the Next Gen Buyer's guides (PS4 & Xbox One) back in November 2013. Customer service said last month that I would get a Jan/Feb 2014 issue at around December 22, 2013, but this never happened. I sent an e-mail to customer service a few minutes ago if we are getting a Jan/Feb 2014 issue or are we waiting for a Spring 2014 one. I'll update you all asap.

Same here.

I figured those two buyer's guides were to hold us over for the impending delay.

EGM 262 is printed and in the mail. Everyone should be getting them soon!

Cool deal, thanks for the update. It seems customer service no longer answers me. :-( They have always sent me a reply within 24 hours or less. Even before then, I get an automated e-mail, but now I don't get that either. Hmm, anyways, I look forward to issue 262!

Cool deal, thanks for the update. It seems customer service no longer answers me. :-( They have always sent me a reply within 24 hours or less. Even before then, I get an automated e-mail, but now I don't get that either. Hmm, anyways, I look forward to issue 262!

I got an update from customer service today. They apologized that I didn't receive the Jan/Feb 2014 issue and are sending a replacement. Am I going to receive a duplicate? If the Jan/Feb 2014 issue is number 262, then why did they say I would get it back in December when Greylids said they just shipped it out? Well, I guess only time will tell. Hehe.

• Retromags Curator

I saw issue 262 on the news stand today. It's labeled as "Winter". There are also 4 covers for the magazines 25th anniversary. The cover art is the same, but they have used 4 different logos, including the horrid EGM pixelated one. The Walmart near my work had three copies, and I am guessing the cover that is 1 of 4 is the one with the original EGM logo on it. I need to find out if I am getting this issue in the mail.

There is also an interesting article inside about the magazine and gaming from the magazines inception to now, with bits written by formers employees, including one written by Ed Semrad about his one night in a Brazilian jail. I want to know what that's about!

EDIT: Checking my emails, I apparently renewed my subscription near the end of November for 2 years. I had completely forgotten.