iPad downloads

Robbieiscool

• 2 weeks later...

Doubtful, since the iOS file system is pretty locked down. Unless there's a compatible e-reader that can auto-associate the .ZIP, .RAR, or other archive or e-book format natively once installed on the iPad (or other iOS device), chances are you would have to download them to a PC or MAC first, install the app, then use iTunes to move those files into the app's own "container". I did find an app for iPad called "CoudReaders" which apparently can handle PDF, CBZ and CBR formats, and you can supposedly link up via BlueTooth, as well as reading titles "in the cloud", but I'm not quite sure how that functionality works yet because I only just got my iPad at the beginning of the week and haven't had a chance yet to really play around with the app.

Is Bookman a paid app? I don't have my iPad right here to look. I tried a couple apps with an issue or two of VG&CE I nabbed from here, but neither file opened in any of the apps I tried. I am considering re-converting them to PDF files, but what might I be doing wrong? I installed the apps and then used iTunes to import the .CBR files directly into the app. I also tried importing them as .ZIP files to see if I needed to do that, but that didn't work. Any thoughts? I'd love to just be able to bring the CBR files straight in because I have a few other things I'd like to bring in rather than convert from CBR to ZIP, unzip, then print back to PDF.

• Retromags Curator

Is Bookman a paid app? I don't have my iPad right here to look. I tried a couple apps with an issue or two of VG&CE I nabbed from here, but neither file opened in any of the apps I tried. I am considering re-converting them to PDF files, but what might I be doing wrong? I installed the apps and then used iTunes to import the .CBR files directly into the app. I also tried importing them as .ZIP files to see if I needed to do that, but that didn't work. Any thoughts? I'd love to just be able to bring the CBR files straight in because I have a few other things I'd like to bring in rather than convert from CBR to ZIP, unzip, then print back to PDF.

Converting CBR to ZIP is a matter of changing the file extension. Nothing more. Before you do anything, try changing the .cbr to .cbz. Some magazines were put into a ZIP and then had the file extension changed to .cbr instead of .cbz. This causes problems with some programs.

The file extension for CBR should be changed to .rar (and vice versa) and CBZ should be changed to .zip (and vice versa). You should be able to leave the .cbr/.cbz as is and decompress it in 7-Zip; no need to change the extension.

I tried the ComicFlow app that was suggested and it works perfectly. You don't have to convert the file types or anything. You just plug your I-pad into the computer, go to the ComicFlow app in i-tunes, and there's a place for you to add the files. I don't consider myself especially skilled with computers and I was able to do it easily.

Plus ComicFlow was free!

Thanks Jimminy, I sorta half-figured out what needed to be done, but I hadn't put the RAR-CBR and ZIP-CBZ connection together. Now that I know that, a surprising number of things I have downloaded that just need the files renamed from .CBR to .CBZ and they work! I am quite liking this SideBooks iPad app - it works pretty slick. The one thing that sucks about it is that if you put something on the device that is the wrong type (i.e. a CBR that should be renamed as a CBZ), the app crashes several times before it will let you open it up again and show you that the files are "broken". Once I figured that out, however, it's pretty easy to work around. Now I just need to rename the mag files I downloaded as CBR to CBZ's and they work fine :)