Retromags Collection Moving to Newsgroups

E-Day

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

since all the mags are moving to a pay service I may be discontinuing my activities on this site as I don't have enough money to pay for a newsgroup access service like giganews. Sorry guys.

Its really sad that people are reading into this more than is needed. Let me start off by saying that we want everyone to share and enjoy these magazines. With that being said, its really hard to provide/distribute well over 1000 magazines (over 100GB) to the 6 billion people on this planet. While we are moving the collection to Newsgroups, think of that as a safety net or backbone. Its there as a concrete way to share the magazines WITHOUT causing financial burden to the people who run this site. It is also a way to provide these 1000 magazines without having someone seed them 24/7/365.

After the magazines have been put up on Newsgroups, Hopefully we can start looking into other ways to provide them. Now as for your statement about not having enough money to pay for newsgroups access. I think that is kind of BS, as UsenetServer has a $3 plan! So technically for less than the price of a Big Mac meal at McDonalds.....you could get 72 hours to download as many magazines as you wanted.

I'm serious. My parents wouldn't let me subscribe to newsgroups no matter the price, dude I'm not just making excuses, I'm stating a VALID reason why I can't do newsgroups. Thanks.

Its really sad that people are reading into this more than is needed. Let me start off by saying that we want everyone to share and enjoy these magazines. With that being said, its really hard to provide/distribute well over 1000 magazines (over 100GB) to the 6 billion people on this planet. While we are moving the collection to Newsgroups, think of that as a safety net or backbone. Its there as a concrete way to share the magazines WITHOUT causing financial burden to the people who run this site. It is also a way to provide these 1000 magazines without having someone seed them 24/7/365.

After the magazines have been put up on Newsgroups, Hopefully we can start looking into other ways to provide them. Now as for your statement about not having enough money to pay for newsgroups access. I think that is kind of BS, as UsenetServer has a $3 plan! So technically for less than the price of a Big Mac meal at McDonalds.....you could get 72 hours to download as many magazines as you wanted.

remember when this forum was on the brink of closing down? i, like many others chipped in for a new server or hard drive. in return we got lifetime premium membership with direct links. i think there should be direct links to download the mags for us.

• Retromags Curator

remember when this forum was on the brink of closing down? i, like many others chipped in for a new server or hard drive. in return we got lifetime premium membership with direct links. i think there should be direct links to download the mags for us.

When was that? I joined the site a month after you, and I don't remember anything like that happening. Unless you mean when Phillyman was looking to pass the site onto someone else two years ago. By then there were no lifetime memberships.

In a perfect world everything would be a direct download. But having direct downloads violates at least two terms in the hosting agreement with Dreamhost. So eventually they will catch on and delete the archive files, or shut the site down if we don't move everything off site. No one will be given special access to downloads or anything like that. That sort of set up ended years ago.

When was that? I joined the site a month after you, and I don't remember anything like that happening. Unless you mean when Phillyman was looking to pass the site onto someone else two years ago. By then there were no lifetime memberships.

In a perfect world everything would be a direct download. But having direct downloads violates at least two terms in the hosting agreement with Dreamhost. So eventually they will catch on and delete the archive files, or shut the site down if we don't move everything off site. No one will be given special access to downloads or anything like that. That sort of set up ended years ago.

you need to consult with phillyman on that. you were new so you probably didn't know everything that was going back then. my name is not highlighted in red for nothing. it was a christmas special and it was lifetime membership for donating so he could get a new hard drive.

• Retromags Curator

I'm serious. My parents wouldn't let me subscribe to newsgroups no matter the price, dude I'm not just making excuses, I'm stating a VALID reason why I can't do newsgroups. Thanks.

Sometimes I forget many of our users are on the young side. But as I stated above, this is ONE way we are trying to provide scans. Its not the ONLY way.

• Retromags Curator

you need to consult with phillyman on that. you were new so you probably didn't know everything that was going back then. my name is not highlighted in red for nothing. it was a christmas special and it was lifetime membership for donating so he could get a new hard drive.

Yes I remember, and I am still looking for a way to provide these scans in a cost effective, stable and easy way. Back when we were doing the "Premium Memberships", this site did not have 1000 magazines to provide. If we were to try and locally provide them at this point. E-day would need to rent a dedicated server, which is around $179 a month. That option would require many donations or advertisements on this site. Retromags is not big enough in terms of members to support such a cost, nor are we small enough to provide them locally on a shared hosting account.

Even torrents or a private FTP no longer works. I am not sure about E-day, but Cox restricts me to 250GB per month in terms of bandwidth. Thats maybe 200-250 magazines per month. I am watching the site right now and seeing 50-70 people a day hitting the Mediafire links. But E-day and I are looking into other options.

• Retromags Curator

I'm capped at 300 gigs a month a good chunk of it which I use, and it's not cheap if I go over that.

I have been seeding a Nintendo Power torrent on Demonoid since March 8, 2011. Over a year, and only 5 seeders. So torrents aren't a viable option even though it would be nice if they were.

Usenet would be fantastic. I got excited when I saw this news, but then I find out that it hasn't actually been implemented. Usenet allows people to download any files, any time, at maximum speed, simply by typing in a search and clicking the mouse a few times. There is no bullshit rapidshare waiting period or advertising. You can use whatever client you wish.

I use Supernews, at a rate of $9 per month (and I am probably overpaying). It has the maximum retention of any server (~4 years), it supports 30 simultaneous connections, no caps, and unlimited download speed. I download files with my cable connection at a rate of 3MB per second.

As it is now, and even before on Megaupload, downloading files took forever. I had to click through two or three web pages to get the link, then click download, wait 30 seconds on a page full of ads, then wait for the file to complete since they only allowed one download at a time. With usenet, I could theoretically locate and download the entire set of Nintendo Power in the time it took me to get one file the old way!

• Retromags Curator

Usenet would be fantastic. I got excited when I saw this news, but then I find out that it hasn't actually been implemented. Usenet allows people to download any files, any time, at maximum speed, simply by typing in a search and clicking the mouse a few times. There is no bullshit rapidshare waiting period or advertising. You can use whatever client you wish.

I use Supernews, at a rate of $9 per month (and I am probably overpaying). It has the maximum retention of any server (~4 years), it supports 30 simultaneous connections, no caps, and unlimited download speed. I download files with my cable connection at a rate of 3MB per second.

As it is now, and even before on Megaupload, downloading files took forever. I had to click through two or three web pages to get the link, then click download, wait 30 seconds on a page full of ads, then wait for the file to complete since they only allowed one download at a time. With usenet, I could theoretically locate and download the entire set of Nintendo Power in the time it took me to get one file the old way!

Ah finally someone who knows Newsgroups and see's how this will make things easier and faster! :)

• Retromags Curator

We're working on it. It's not easy moving over 1000 files of the size our scans are. Phillyman received the hard drive I sent him with all the scans I have, so getting stuff on the Newsgroups is actually happening now. It shouldn't be much longer for those who will take advantage of having everything on the Newsgroups.

Guest DJ Crimson

I recently discovered Newsgroups and the whole Usenet thing a couple of months ago. I was totally ignorant of the entire subject of it but came to loving everything about it. In the end, I hope this site migrates towards it due to the flexibility it allows.

Hi! :)

I too was one of those who got a Christmas-related "Lifetime Membership". Ah well, so much for that ;-)

I do have a question though:

Someone (Phillyman?) posted here somewhere (I just read a bunch of forum threads, so I forget exactly which one it was) that once you get the mags on the newsgroups that it would cost $3 for 3 days access to all the magazines.

I'm more the sort of person who would like to download a magazine or 2 or 3 every once in a while because I'm interested in reading about something specific in it at any given time (reading about specific systems or specific games).

Therefore, I was wondering, would the newsgroup with all the magazine scans have ANY OTHER PAYMENT PLANS, like, for example, paying a higher price, but for access that lasts longer periods of time?

(2 weeks, a month, 3 months, a year, etc. OR my personal favorite: Forever ;-)

Do we know this yet? Is it likely there will be other payment plans (besides $3 for 3 days) if we don't? :)

• Retromags Curator

Hi! :)

I too was one of those who got a Christmas-related "Lifetime Membership". Ah well, so much for that ;-)

I do have a question though:

Someone (Phillyman?) posted here somewhere (I just read a bunch of forum threads, so I forget exactly which one it was) that once you get the mags on the newsgroups that it would cost $3 for 3 days access to all the magazines.

I'm more the sort of person who would like to download a magazine or 2 or 3 every once in a while because I'm interested in reading about something specific in it at any given time (reading about specific systems or specific games).

Therefore, I was wondering, would the newsgroup with all the magazine scans have ANY OTHER PAYMENT PLANS, like, for example, paying a higher price, but for access that lasts longer periods of time?

(2 weeks, a month, 3 months, a year, etc. OR my personal favorite: Forever ;-)

Do we know this yet? Is it likely there will be other payment plans (besides $3 for 3 days) if we don't? :)

Oh sure, I am on NewsHosting and I pay $20 a month for unlimited access. If I paid up 12 months in advance, I think that price drops even further. The only reason I mentioned the $3 for 3 days plan, is for those people who know exactly what they want off this site, and want to go the cheapest route. But I would suggest the monthly plan for anyone else, as even when you get done with the magazines....there is always more stuff that you may want.

BTW, Nintendo Power Issue 1-127 are being posted right now. They should finish up in another hour or so

• 1 month later...

I'm kinda late to this party, but I thought I would add that if you want to download a magazine from Usenet every once in a while, purchasing a flat GB plan is the way to go. I currently have a 1TB plan which I purchased for $50 and should last me at least a year. I was using $11/month for unlimited but realized I wasn't downloading very much lately.

Astraweb currently has a 25GB (~250 magazines) for $10. If you download once or twice a month, that should last you forever :)

http://www.news.astraweb.com/plans.html

I will also add that this is the best decision by far for hosting the magazines.

• 1 year later...

Newsgroups won't be the only method we use, but it will be the main one. Hopefully it will let me get rid of the Download Manager

I remember when I suggested this in 2010 and was given crap about it. It really is the best method because I only got like 8 magazines today and I'm hit with a download limit that isn't even my side. That means I cannot change IPs or ISPs and continue downloading--I'm locked out because the rapidfire account has a limit per day.

So as you can see here, I uploaded a massive 310GB Phil Hendrie archive with no problem and it's still there.

http://binsearch.info/?q=phil+hendrie+collection&max=100&adv_age=1100&server=

Gamefan and everything deserves to be there. :D