how many posts do i need to download a magazine?

cwdl1985

Seems kind of stupid I have to register and then post X amount of times for something is supposed to be non-profit and for gamers.

I've been browsing this site for an hour trying to answer this question myself. Shouldn't the error message tell you how many posts you need?

Same here. I have downloaded zoo many mags here in the past before megaupload went down. Now when i try to download anything it won't work...then i get a message saying I've reached my max downloads for the day. I only tried to download twice and it is already saying that. Someone help me here.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. It tops me off at 2 downloads per day. I found a list of things that happen when you reach 25 posts (the rest of you probably found the same thing), but it says nothing about downloads. I'm actually trying to use them for a research paper, so I'd like to be able to look at more of them quickly.

• Retromags Curator

Seems kind of stupid I have to register and then post X amount of times for something is supposed to be non-profit and for gamers.

Whether you are limited in the number downloads or not, it's still non-profit and for gamers. I don't see how it isn't. There is a limit so new members don't come on and then bog the system down by downloading 30 magazines at once. That is a sure-fire way to get the host suspicious and to shut the site down. So no, it's not kind of stupid. Things are in place for a reason.

New members are limited to two downloads a day for files contained on the server. Regular members are limited to 10 per day. You become a regular member when you have 25 posts.

I've been browsing this site for an hour trying to answer this question myself. Shouldn't the error message tell you how many posts you need?

After an hour you should have found this post: http://www.retromags.com/forums/topic/7041-magazines-coming-back-online-new-downloading-quota/. And no, the error message cannot be customized. I do not control what the error messages say. that is up to the software.

Same here. I have downloaded zoo many mags here in the past before megaupload went down. Now when i try to download anything it won't work...then i get a message saying I've reached my max downloads for the day. I only tried to download twice and it is already saying that. Someone help me here.

You, go here: http://www.retromags.com/forums/topic/6147-site-suggestions/page__st__40__p__34808#entry34808

Everything will be moving to Newsgroups soon anyhow, so none of this will be an issue. But for now, this is how things have to be set up. People don't seem to take into consideration the amount of time and work it takes to make these files available, to change all the links when we have to move stuff, and making sure that the site doesn't get shut down due to using too many resources. If I left the downloads as open season like some people in this thread seem to think it should be, chances are I would have had to remove everything already because of new members coming in, posting once, and then downloading everything at the same time. Just having the archive files containing the scans is a violation of the terms of service with Dreamhost. So instead of saying the way things are currently set up is stupid, maybe be thankful that there is even anything for you to download.

If you guys want to try your luck at downloading stuff from MediaFire, go ahead. Everything on MediaFire is listed here: http://www.retromags.com/forums/topic/7043-external-links-to-magazine-scans/. After an hour of browsing ascetic0990 should have found this post as well.

I don't have any control over the stuff posted on MediaFire. Terpsfan101 is the one who loaded everything on there. So any broken links or removed files can be directed at him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

Maybe you guys could just come enjoy the forums. Post when you have something to say. Be a member and not just put up one post asking how many post you need. I'm no vet at this site but I respect their rules and their resoning is obvious. People expect everything for nothing these days. It is true when they say that gamers feel entitled. Maybe it is because I'm a nhilist but I dont think anyone is entitled to anything, ever.

Thank you! A voice of reason at last!