Holy cow, I thought I was the only person to do this

woahdude

I've got a big stack of old video game magazines that I've been very slowly scanning. My childhood was spent reading EGM, GamePro, and GameFan. Needless to say I'm very happy to have found this community!

I've been removing the spine from my magazines a bit differently than displayed in the guide, and I'm not sure if it's better or not. Basically I take two boards, slide a magazine between them, and then I bolt them together. It creates a sort of clamp, and then I use a hacksaw to cut the spine off. The cut is not super clean, but I'm so close to the edge it hasn't bothered me too terribly much. And it only takes a minute or two to cut. I'll post pictures when I get a chance to show what I mean.

My next step is to get an iPad to actually enjoy the fruits of the labor. ;)

• Retromags Curator

I've got a big stack of old video game magazines that I've been very slowly scanning. My childhood was spent reading EGM, GamePro, and GameFan. Needless to say I'm very happy to have found this community!

I've been removing the spine from my magazines a bit differently than displayed in the guide, and I'm not sure if it's better or not. Basically I take two boards, slide a magazine between them, and then I bolt them together. It creates a sort of clamp, and then I use a hacksaw to cut the spine off. The cut is not super clean, but I'm so close to the edge it hasn't bothered me too terribly much. And it only takes a minute or two to cut. I'll post pictures when I get a chance to show what I mean.

My next step is to get an iPad to actually enjoy the fruits of the labor. ;)

Wow, a hacksaw? You should try the way that is illustrated in the guide. Very clean cut, and it takes less than a minute for the average sized magazine. The 400-page EGMs might take two minutes :). But you would be surprised how close to the spine a lot of the layout goes to. Sometimes cutting it with an box cutter right at the edge isn't enough.

s for atablet, I am holding out for a Windows 8 tablet. I was looking at the Asus Eee Slate last year since it was 12.1" and had an Intel Core i5, but Windows 7 isn't great for touch screens. Hopefully someone will put out an Intel-based 12" tablet for me. If not, I will have to settle for a 10.1" one or whatever the standard size will be.