Is Invision Necessary?

The_Great_Beast

First of all I'd like to say thanks to everyone for all your hard work.

when I first read here http://www.retromags.com/forums/index.php?...subs&CODE=index that the forum software costs $70 a year I was shocked.

Is a paid forum really necessary to everyone? why not use something just as powerful such as SMF (www.simplemachines.org) which is free and also has many mods like the arcade and others.

my only concern is that the $70 could go towards more mags rather than forum software, but if it is necessary then I understand.

just as a side note: it is my understanding that you guys do not have your own tracker? if this is true you may feel free to use mine here http://www.bthaven.com if you do like it I would be willing to make it exclusive to your site and point all the visitors here.

well thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. and also thanks again for all the great scans. :D

• Retromags Curator

We used to use PHPbb ......and that site was hacked by some Turkish Group .......no harm was done .....just a tag stating that they had hacked the site

Invision Powerboard is a very nice forum software ......and it allows alot of different mods that i wasnt able to do with the PHPBB software ......It gives me greater flexibility in delegating powers .......On this forum i can give someone Moderating powers ......and see exactly how they use them .......If a moderator deletes your post and you feel its unfairly done .......the post really isnt deleted ......it goes to a recycle bin where only i can totally delete it or bring it back

The Software is $70 ......but at the same time .....when our licence runs out in February ......we only have to pay $70 again if we want access to the updates and security fixes

If each person on this forum only donated $1.50 at signup .......we would have $1000 and could basically buy MBJ , 420, MrSlayer , dstryr420 and Sav2880 all Automatic Scanners ......and still have about $400 left over for magazine purchases

As for the suggestion of having our own tracker, the one suggested (http://www.bthaven.com) appears to be a private tracker. All of the previous releases have been on public trackers. Was this done just for the sake of convenience or was it because the mags would be more widely accessible. There asre pros and cons to a private tracker and if we are to consider going private, I think that it would warrant a discussion first.

Maybe there's a thought in doing both ... setting things up to use a private tracker like Transexual-Underground where there is interest in the product, but having a public tracker like mininova to help bring in people to the site.

It's more work, but maybe people at a place like google will be more likely to cross over and come here too.

P.S. - I may have access to some more powerful scanners (read, copiers that can e-mail scans). Maybe when I tear a magazine up here I'll run some sample sheets.

We used to use PHPbb ......and that site was hacked by some Turkish Group .......no harm was done .....just a tag stating that they had hacked the site

Invision Powerboard is a very nice forum software ......and it allows alot of different mods that i wasnt able to do with the PHPBB software ......It gives me greater flexibility in delegating powers .......On this forum i can give someone Moderating powers ......and see exactly how they use them .......If a moderator deletes your post and you feel its unfairly done .......the post really isnt deleted ......it goes to a recycle bin where only i can totally delete it or bring it back

The Software is $70 ......but at the same time .....when our licence runs out in February ......we only have to pay $70 again if we want access to the updates and security fixes

If each person on this forum only donated $1.50 at signup .......we would have $1000 and could basically buy MBJ , 420, MrSlayer , dstryr420 and Sav2880 all Automatic Scanners ......and still have about $400 left over for magazine purchases

I agree with you that phpbb is a bit lacking. SMF does allow you the same powers with moderators as IPB such as the recycle bin you talk about.

Im very familar with it as i use it on 4 of my sites.

As for the suggestion of having our own tracker, the one suggested (http://www.bthaven.com) appears to be a private tracker. All of the previous releases have been on public trackers. Was this done just for the sake of convenience or was it because the mags would be more widely accessible. There asre pros and cons to a private tracker and if we are to consider going private, I think that it would warrant a discussion first.

there is an option i can turn off to make it a public tracker.

I'd even be willing to make you guys your own tracker rather than use one that I have already set up.

public or private, your choice.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...