Does Anybody Clean Their Keyboard?

Blazer

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once spilled malt liquor in my keyboard. I took it apart, rinsed it out, let it dry, and put it back together and it works just fine. If you want a keyboard that's easy to keep clean you could get one of these:

flx-2000FLEX.gif

Haha is that real? What kind of base is that made out of?

• 2 weeks later...
Keyboards can get pretty dirty, you can't really get them clean without popping off the keys, vacuums and compressed air can only do so much but that'll probably just trap the dust under the actual key.

If I didn't have a Logitech G15 I would probably just say screw it and get a $10 cheapy every time it got dirty. The G15 is worth cleaning, though, I can press W, D, and E at the same time without my system beeping, and each key registers.

I also have a Logitech G15. It's fairly new so it's not dirty yet, but I occasionally wipe the outside with tissue and alcohol. I play Warcraft 3 and sometimes my fingers sweat so much when I play. Haven't cleaned the inside though.

I also clean my mouse often, coz of the sweat. I even opened my Razer Copperhead (voiding warranty) once to clean the dust under the buttons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's pretty easy to get the keys off a normal keyboard to clean them off and get all the crap out from under them, but taking them off a laptop board is absolute hell and not recommended - they sit on a sort of plastic framework that breaks really easily, and once it's broken it's pretty much gone for good.

Then again laptops don't get dirty as easily as normal boards since the keys are spaced closely together, so it's not as big a deal to clean them.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a can of compressed air then use it to blow any debris from around and under the keys, if not then use the hose of a vacuum cleaner to remove it.

Take one of the cotton buds and put a couple of drops of the cleaning fluid on it, use the cotton bud to clean the sides of the keys

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...