Sign in to follow this  
Blazer

Does Anybody Clean Their Keyboard?

I spent last night cleaning out the crud in my keyboard. I can understand the crumbs, and lint, but the dog hair confused me.because I have never had a dog. It was nasty. :sick:

I once spilled malt liquor in my keyboard. I took it apart, rinsed it out, let it dry, and put it back together and it works just fine. If you want a keyboard that's easy to keep clean you could get one of these:

flx-2000FLEX.gif

My keyboards anymore are cheap, so I just replace, not clean.

Although I do need to get a new laptop-style keyboard, I like the way those work as I have grown used to using laptops more and more.

I have a good wireless setup, and i guess I should just spend some time cleaning it, an not let it get so gross.

i clean my keyboards every few months. i even remove each key and brush it with soap and water, dry it before putting it back. you find all sorts of dirt under the keys. the "dog hairs" you found might not be dog hair(maybe rat hair?) or other fibers that might have stucked in your clothes

Speaking of keyboards, anybody here encountered ants inside their keyboard? i used a couple of cheap keyboards before and after a while i notice that some keys would not work properly. when i removed the keys i found out a lot of ants were chewing away the rubber underneath the keys. i had no choice but to replace the keyboard.

Speaking of keyboards, anybody here encountered ants inside their keyboard? i used a couple of cheap keyboards before and after a while i notice that some keys would not work properly. when i removed the keys i found out a lot of ants were chewing away the rubber underneath the keys. i had no choice but to replace the keyboard.

LOL those must have been some strong ants.

I just turn my laptop over and shake and see all the bread crumbs come right out. I have seen some nasty keyboards at a few places.

I have had ants attack my keyboard last summer.

It was nasty! And my keyboard was not dirty. :rolleyes:

As I was reading this, a tiny spider ran across my desktop and jumped underneath my '0' key. I am not joking.

I guess he got an idea by reading the thread over your shoulder...

My cat used to sleep on my desk behind my keyboard, so you can imagine the disgusting amount of cat hair I found when I cleaned this baby. I popped all the keys off and everything for that clean-up, but usually a can of compressed air does the trick quite well.

The quickest way, and the way that I clean my keyboard is to just turn it on its side with the keys facing slightly downward, and just bang it on the stand that holds it Gets a lot of the crap out, and is good if you're lazy like me and don't wanna remove all the keys and deep clean it.

Keyboards can get pretty dirty, you can't really get them clean without popping off the keys, vacuums and compressed air can only do so much but that'll probably just trap the dust under the actual key.

If I didn't have a Logitech G15 I would probably just say screw it and get a $10 cheapy every time it got dirty. The G15 is worth cleaning, though, I can press W, D, and E at the same time without my system beeping, and each key registers.

I've seen a TV show in which they said, that a keyboard is usually more dirty than most other things in a household like a toilet for example... time clean it up i guess.

Every once and a while I'll do a deep cleaning by popping everything off. Otherwiase on a month to month basis I'll use one of those things that look like baby wipes but have lysol on it and just disinfect my keyboard keys.