Sign in to follow this  
Blazer

Does Anybody Clean Their Keyboard?

My little sister once tried to clean a keyboard without knowing that the keys could be removed. She broke the keyboard pretty good.

My computer teacher told me that most non-fancy keyboards can just be put in the dishwasher to clean it up quick.

but ive never tried it, for fear of keyboard ruination >>

The dishwasher?

That sounds like a pretty bad idea.

I'm not sure what a keyboard is made of exactly...so I'm not sure if water would damage it or not...

I once spilled malt liquor in my keyboard. I took it apart, rinsed it out, let it dry, and put it back together and it works just fine. If you want a keyboard that's easy to keep clean you could get one of these:

flx-2000FLEX.gif

Haha is that real? What kind of base is that made out of?

Keyboards can get pretty dirty, you can't really get them clean without popping off the keys, vacuums and compressed air can only do so much but that'll probably just trap the dust under the actual key.

If I didn't have a Logitech G15 I would probably just say screw it and get a $10 cheapy every time it got dirty. The G15 is worth cleaning, though, I can press W, D, and E at the same time without my system beeping, and each key registers.

I also have a Logitech G15. It's fairly new so it's not dirty yet, but I occasionally wipe the outside with tissue and alcohol. I play Warcraft 3 and sometimes my fingers sweat so much when I play. Haven't cleaned the inside though.

I also clean my mouse often, coz of the sweat. I even opened my Razer Copperhead (voiding warranty) once to clean the dust under the buttons.

I bite my nails a lot so...if i turn it upside down i think ill have a surprise...:P

Yeah I usually find quite a bit of that in my keyboard as well :P

Hell, yes. I am really skeeved by a dirty keyboard, whether it's mine or someone elses. I do all the IT in a small engineering firm (maybe a dozen machines) and I carry around my own keyboard rather than touch the keyboard of some of the slobs I work with.

I deep clean my keyboard every 6 months or so. Otherwise, I just disinfect the surface with some cleaner and a rag. I always get a bunch of crap out too when I turn it over and shake.

I hardly ever do but usually its just turning it over and wiping down the keys with some rubbing alcohol.

Im really hating that Apple made their keyboards white too cause you can really tell its been awhile!!

It's pretty easy to get the keys off a normal keyboard to clean them off and get all the crap out from under them, but taking them off a laptop board is absolute hell and not recommended - they sit on a sort of plastic framework that breaks really easily, and once it's broken it's pretty much gone for good.

Then again laptops don't get dirty as easily as normal boards since the keys are spaced closely together, so it's not as big a deal to clean them.

If you have a can of compressed air then use it to blow any debris from around and under the keys, if not then use the hose of a vacuum cleaner to remove it.

Take one of the cotton buds and put a couple of drops of the cleaning fluid on it, use the cotton bud to clean the sides of the keys

I usually just give it the shake out, But I like to use an old tooth brush and some rubbing alcohol to get the black crap off the keys.

My oldest keyboard have more than 10 years!

I never clean! Its working... If stop I buy new one!

And the surface its clean! I never care about the interior! if working... its good...

i once had a college textbook that recommended using your dishwasher to clean you keyboard. they said that as long as the circuitry is removed it should be fine. but i don't know if i would trust it.

most keyboards you can shower :) if you google it i remember looking it up after washing 2c if anyone did the same lol :) some guy made a web page showing the world it cold be done.... :|