top ten sega genisis games of all time

drico40

• 3 weeks later...

Zombies ate my neighbors, Splatterhouse and Splatterhouse 2 are the only ones I remember playing and liked a lot. Also a batman game, a dragonball game and a DC superheroes game that I don't remember the titles of. Those were awesome. Are there any good Rpgs for sega genesis?

Zombies ate my neighbors, Splatterhouse and Splatterhouse 2 are the only ones I remember playing and liked a lot. Also a batman game, a dragonball game and a DC superheroes game that I don't remember the titles of. Those were awesome. Are there any good Rpgs for sega genesis?

Phantasy Star, from what I've heard.

• Retromags Curator

Best Genesis games of all time? That's hard. I'll go with the ten best exclusives, since many good Genesis games also got ported to the SNES (Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Mortal Kombat II, Street Fighter II, etc...)

Phantasy Star IV - One of the best 16-bit RPGs ever made, and one of my favorite games ever.

Sonic & Knuckles - A cart that you could attach other carts to in order to experience new ways of playing old games? YEAH!!

Herzog Zwei - Real-time action/strategy for the Genesis, and a solidly-made title to boot.

Splatterhouse 3 - Blood, gore, horror, violence, and a choose-your-own-adventure-style storyline? Sign me up, please.

Micro Machines '96 - Other platforms got Micro Machines titles, but this one was unique to the Genesis and features some of Codemasters' best track layouts. If you didn't like them, the built-in design feature let you make your own.

Gunstar Heroes - A "can't stop to catch your breath" shooter from Treasure. People broke more controllers over this company's games than any other, I'd be willing to bet. Best with two players, but still enjoyable solo.

Strider - Run around, hit things with a big-ass sword until they blow up, then hit even more things with your big-ass sword. Yes, Strider appeared on the NES too. It wasn't the same game. At all.

Shadowrun - There was a Super NES version of this game made, but we don't talk about it because it sucked. You want the real Shadowrun experience on a console, you play the Genesis version. End of discussion.

Castlevania: Bloodlines - It's no Super Castlevania IV, but Bloodlines still had two awesome playable characters, fantastic level design, and a great soundtrack.

Streets of Rage 2 - Sega might not have been able to get Final Fight from Capcom, but they did the next best thing, which was to create Streets of Rage. Number two is the best, but all three are playable to this day.

*huggles*

Areala

• 2 weeks later...

I could try and play that again. Last time I played it I was turned off by the graphics. Are there any more?

There is a cool new RPG game that just came out for the Sega Genesis back in 2010. It's called Pier Solar. It was developed by Brazilian company called Watermelon. Looking at the screenshots, it looks similar to the Lunar series and very nice graphics for the Genesis. I heard the soundtrack is awesome. It's also touted as the largest Sega Genesis game in existence at a whopping 64 Megabits! lol. I ordered it last week and should be getting it by tomorrow. Check it out here: http://www.magicalga...y/pier-solar_1/ You can buy it now for a cool $69 (free shipping). But it's got the full packaging with box, manual, etc. I don't know about you. But I am looking forward to playing my copy soon! You should get it as well because they might not reprint it next time and have to end up getting it on Ebay for mega bucks.

You can download or buy the soundtrack and play it in your Sega CD while playing the actual game on the Genesis to listen to CD quality sound. Pier Solar was developed to take advantage of the Sega CD throughout the game.

Watermelon is also working on another beat-em-up game similar to Streets of Rage with RPG elements, simply called Project Y at this time. You can check it out on their web site, http://www.magicalga...com/en/factory/ , and even invest money into the project. Early adopters get the special investors version just like for Pier Solar.

• Retromags Curator

I don't know what it is about South America in general and Brazil in particular, but those guys jumped on the Genesis hardcore back in the day and never let it go. I have cousins down there who still have their Genesis because it's so easy to find Sega games. Blows my mind. :)

*huggles*

Areala

Best Genesis/MegaDrive games, in no particular order:

1) Castlevania Bloodlines

2) Contra Hardcorps

3) Sonic the Hedgehog 1

4) Splatterhouse 2

5) Splatterhouse 3

6) Streets of Rage 2

7) Ecco the Dolphin: The Tides of Time

8) Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition

9) Mortal Kombat II (Only for 2-player mode, as the AI you face in 1-player mode is ultra-cheap)

10) Samurai Shodown

I was a big SNES fan back in the hey-day of the console wars, but I secretly enjoyed the following Genesis games the most:

1. Gunstar Heroes

2. Sonic 2

3. Castlevania Bloodlines

4. Contra Hardcorp

5. Strider

6. Kid Chameleon

7. Vectorman

8. Streets of Rage

9. Rocket Knight Adventures

10. X-Men (the first, Sega-exclusive one)

Gunstar Heroes

Sonic The Hedgehog II

Dynamite Headdy

Alien Soldier

Rocket Knight Adventures

Pulseman

Ys III

Chiki Chiki Boys

Wonder Boy in Monster World

Rinstar

honorable mention:

McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure

Ranger X

Streets of Rage

Ranger X was awesome... forgot about that one!

• 1 month later...

In no particular order:

Toe Jam & Earl - The definition of fun, and manages to feel almost new even though i have finished it like 100 times since 1991.

Revenge of Shinobi - People seem to prefer Shinobi 3, but for me this one is the best, also i think the music is not only better than 3 but also sound way better.

Strider - A kickass non stop ride.

Golden Axe - It was like having the arcade at home, and still is brear coop fun.

Sonic the Hedgehog - A masterpiece and still the best Sonic for me, and the only one that i really like.

Desert Strike - Madman must have been stopped.

Mercs - Although one player only it has the original mode that is awesome.And i love those top view shooters like this and Jackal on Nes.

Castle of Illusion - Amazing game and still best Mickey game for me.

Streets of Rage - I,m in the minority but this is my favorite of the series, music is the best of series

Thunder Force III - Same thing, people usually prefer 4, but i think this one is the best, also one of the best ost ever.

Also hi retromags, and i have to say that i'm deep thankfull to all the staff and everybody that helps this wonderfull place.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah. Those are good lists. Here is mine in alphabetical order:

1. Beyond Oasis.

2. Comix Zone.

3. Earthworm Jim 2.

4. Gargoyles.

5. Master of Monsters.

6. Shining Force II.

7. ToeJam & Earl.

8. ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron.

9. True Lies.

10. Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

• 2 months later...

Mine would go something like this....

1. Golden Axe - I played this game more than any of my Sega games.
  2. Sonic the Hedgehog - The is the gold standard for any Sega owner.
  3. The Revenge of Shinobi - Hard as hell, but fun and adventurous.
  4. Tommy Lasorda Baseball - Homerun after homerun.
  5. Castlevania Bloodlines - True to the side scrolling format, this game owned!
  6. Sipder-man - Long, fun and the ending took me forever to figure out.
  7. Streets of Rage - Right up there games like Final Fight, this one brought it on the Genesis.
  8. Captain America and the Avengers - Nonstop Marvel bliss.
  9. Shadow Dancer (the secret of Shinobi) - This game was fun as hell, especially with the dog.
  10. Jurassic Park - So hard on so many levels for me, I don't think I ever beat it.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, this would be way too hard for me, way too many memories...

However, I do remember one particularly fun game, was two player, and your characters were PLANES if I remember correctly. You could attack in one of four directions (switched between them with one of the buttons), the screen scrolled on its own. In a way, it reminded me of the art style from the first Rayman game. Does anyone else remember this game?

And if anyone was looking for a classis SRPG, the Shining Force series was quite fun.

• Retromags Curator

Man, this would be way too hard for me, way too many memories...

However, I do remember one particularly fun game, was two player, and your characters were PLANES if I remember correctly. You could attack in one of four directions (switched between them with one of the buttons), the screen scrolled on its own. In a way, it reminded me of the art style from the first Rayman game. Does anyone else remember this game?

That would be 'Hellfire' by Toaplan, te72. This is the only shooter I'm familiar with that gives you a difficulty option of, 'Yeah, Right...' and 99 lives with which to complete it (and good freakin' luck surviving past the second level). :)

*huggles*

Areala

That would be 'Hellfire' by Toaplan, te72. This is the only shooter I'm familiar with that gives you a difficulty option of, 'Yeah, Right...' and 99 lives with which to complete it (and good freakin' luck surviving past the second level). :)

*huggles*

Areala

Hmm, the gameplay was similar, but think cartoony. I think one of your main weapons was a boxing glove on one of those spring-type extensions (again, think cartoony). Any other guesses?

Also another more obscure favorite of mine growing up, this game:

Goofy's Hysterical History Tour

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goofy%27s_Hysterical_History_Tour

Game was rather difficult, but a lot of fun.

• Retromags Curator

Well, if it wasn't Hellfire, then the only game it could have been was Twinbee. Only problem is that the Twinbee series never appeared on the Genesis (though one of them appeared on the Saturn...could this be what you were remembering?)

Look up Pop'n Twinbee for the Super Nintendo, and see if that's the game you remember. If not, try Detana Twinbee on the Saturn. :)

*huggles*
Areala

Ahhh! I found it. Didn't think Google would be quite so precise when I myself was rather clueless. Turns out it was called "Gadget Twins".

http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/586197-gadget-twins

Doesn't even have a wikipedia article on it... About all I rememberd was what was mentioned above, and it came out around (within a year, give or take) the time that Sonic 3 did. I had a lot of fun with it as a kid, I wonder if it still holds up these days? Thanks for the motivation to sort it out Areala! :D

Give it a shot, considering it doesn't even have a wiki, I'd say that calling it underrated might be proper. That would hopefully translate to cheap, if maybe not easily found. I liked it then, might have to hook up the old Xbox and give it a shot this weekend. :)

• 3 years later...