Retromags Status Update

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Dear Retromags Community,

I know the last year has brought us many challenges and that the current state of Retromags is less than ideal. However, I want you all to know that I will be working around the clock to fix everything on this site. The last few months have not been filled with much free time, because I get married on September 6th. I will be in Mexico from the 1st to the 16th of September, but once I am back.....its go time! I have quite a laundry list of items to resolve on this website, here is but a small list of things.....Feel free to mention anything you may think I missed :)

1) Fix the Download Manager! While we do have somewhere around 300 magazines fixed at the moment, I want it 100% fixed.

2) Hire a professional to design a 1 of a kind skin for the Retromags website.

3) Hire a professional to code some new features into the Retromags website.

4) Go through the entire backend of Retromags, and look through all the permissions to make sure they are correct.

5) Create guides for common questions and concerns, and delete anything else that may contradict those guides

All in all I have probably around 150 hours of work ahead of me to get this site to where it should be. It will also cost me around $700-$800 to hire a professional skinner and a php coder to put in place the funtionality that I want you guys to have.

-Phillyman

Just wanted to find out if I can help you with anything in order to get retromags.com back up and running. I worked on EGM from 1989 to 1994 and have mint condition issues of all the mags that Sendai published including EGM, Mega Play, Super NES Buyer's Guide, Super Gaming, and even have Electronic Game Player which is pre-EGM. I used your site before MegaUpload got raided and would love to see it functioning again. Congrats on the wedding by the way!

Take care,

Martin Alessi

Senior Editor EGM 1989-1994

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Just wanted to find out if I can help you with anything in order to get retromags.com back up and running. I worked on EGM from 1989 to 1994 and have mint condition issues of all the mags that Sendai published including EGM, Mega Play, Super NES Buyer's Guide, Super Gaming, and even have Electronic Game Player which is pre-EGM. I used your site before MegaUpload got raided and would love to see it functioning again. Congrats on the wedding by the way!

Take care,

Martin Alessi

Wow, just wow!

Its an honor to have you on this site and get to chat with you. I grew up with the trifecta of EGM, Nintendo Power and GamePro guiding my video game purchases. I would love to have any help you feel like lending. I believe that the cover scan of EGM #0 was a bit rough, and a few others also. I should put together a list of covers that we need scanned/rescanned. But before any of that, how would you feel about an interview? I am packing for Mexico right now, but while I am on the beach I will have my tablet with EGM magazines and can come up with some questions for you?

Its really great to know that the work we do here at Retromags, is appreciated by the fantastic people who helped put out these magazines.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Take care,

Martin Alessi

I sincerely hope this is not a joke, because I had just about the largest geek-gasm on the face of the planet when I read that... :)

I think Philly about said it all. Wow indeed! :)

*huggles*

Areala

• Like 1

Wow, thanks to both of you for all the props and making me feel like a million bucks!

My days at EGM are some of the fondest memories I have so I am honored that you even remember me as I was only there for a little more than 50 issues.

I would love to do an interview, just email me at the address I private messaged you and we'll go from there.

Any covers you need, just shoot me the specs and I'll scan it for you.

I might even be able to get Ed Semrad to scan a few super rare unpublished covers as well, he has stuff I don't even have!

Have a good night and a great wedding and honeymoon!

Martin

• Retromags Curator

It might have been a little more than 50 issues, but it was 50 issues during what I consider the golden era of gaming magazines.

Welcome to the site! We are very excited and honored to have you here. It's also exciting that you are still in contact with Ed Semrad. I haven't heard much about him in a long time.

• Like 1

Hey there, Phillyman. Haven't been on this site in quite a while, glad to see it's still going. 'Grats on the engagement, by the way! I noticed on the main page you're looking for a developer. PM me if you haven't got anyone lined up yet. I can shoot ya my resume and portfolio, as I've got an itch to do some design work.

• 1 month later...
  • Retromags Curator

Item 151 on todays glitch list: fix the double cover problem in the download manager.

Item 152: get the gallery to sort images properly.

Item 151: Has been fixed

Item 152: Let me find a SQL hack for that!

Edit:

I have a ticket into the support people. There is no way I am hand changing 174 categories! I will find a hack to run on the database to put things back in the correct order!