Best Graphic Card For Retrogaming?

orobi

Id' like to buy a new pc in order to play emu games and "not so older" emu games like Dreamcast and PS2 on the chanckast and PSX2...

What config shall I have to buy, and, most important, what graphic card?

Id' like to buy a new pc in order to play emu games and "not so older" emu games like Dreamcast and PS2 on the chanckast and PSX2...

What config shall I have to buy, and, most important, what graphic card?

Neither Chankast nor PCSX2 is worth building a computer around. Chankast has poor compatibility. It offers playable games but certainly isn't optimized to warrant a new comupter. PCSX2 is still rather eraly. It's make great leaps but it may be another year or two, at least, before the emulator is optimized enough to have good playability with games. I'd wait and just save up your money. When Windows Vista is released, new hardware will trickle out making some older hardware obsolete but cheaper.

• Retromags Curator

Yes honestly i dont see much emulated correctly past the PSx/N64 .....Even the Sega Saturn is iffy at best......But thats what modchips are for :)

I think the Sega Saturn Mod chip goes for $15 and the Dreamcast for $10 .......and a PS2 Modchip is $50-$60

Remember that in order to emulate a system ....the computer has to be many many times faster then the original hardware .....and i believe the PS2 is a 300mhz processor .....we will get there one day though

I agree with the other sentiments here. These emulators will certainly get there at some point, but you're not going to get huge results from either.

If you're asking what kind of card though you would want to make sure you're prepared, go with these features:

* PCI Express - If the motherboard is new enough to support PCI Express, get a card to match. It will have enough 2D horsepower for your MAME functions, most likely multimonitor support for games which can now use that, and plenty of video RAM, more then emulators require.

* TV Out - So that you can more accurately match up a real TV with emulators, make sure it's got a TV Out function, or that you are plugging it into a HDTV with VGA or DVI inputs. The composite will best simulate that old TV feel, but nonetheless, you want to be playing these games on a 40-inch TV, not always a 15-inch monitor (laptops can prove especially useful here!)

If it has these features, you've got a good enough card for emulation purposes. That, and a CPU with some juice behind it, becase most video enhancement features aren't dumped off to the video card, they're done with CPU cycles, so raw horsepower will always be needed.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For emulation, the most important thing is probably the processor, especially if you're emulating the saturn you'll want to look into getting a quad-core. Graphics really don't matter as long as your card has enough memory to run Direct X apps at native resolution on your monitor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Yes honestly i dont see much emulated correctly past the PSx/N64 .....Even the Sega Saturn is iffy at best......But thats what modchips are for :)

I think the Sega Saturn Mod chip goes for $15 and the Dreamcast for $10 .......and a PS2 Modchip is $50-$60

Remember that in order to emulate a system ....the computer has to be many many times faster then the original hardware .....and i believe the PS2 is a 300mhz processor .....we will get there one day though

I was under the impression that you didn't need one for Dreamcast, and maybe even Saturn...?

I have imports for DC that play fine with my machine unaltered.

PS2 and DC are so cheap if your wanting to emulate them you might as well just buy a PS2 and get a mod filp top lid for it and play backed up games. Or with DC you can play backed up games right out of box as long as you buy an older version of the console. Then you can emulate NES and a few others even from the Dreamcast.

When it comes to emulation it's more the power of your cpu that matters, not your video card. The fastest video card on earth isn't going to emulate 3d games on mame if your cpu isn't up to it. Best off getting a dual or even quad core cpu, specially for things like saturn and dreamcast emulation... Don't even think about ps2 emulation just yet.