Scratched Dvds

dstryr420

Some of the DVDs in my collection (store-bought TV series, a few movies, etc) are scratched and have marks on them. Most are hardly noticeable (except for when I hold them under a light and look waaaay more closely than a normal person would) but some are more deep.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good way to fix them? I have the gamestop disc scrach filling gel and the cloths, but the cloth scratches the disc, the gel doesnt work that great.

Also, since most of the damages i see are minor, I know they probably won't play any less than perfect- but just so i can sleep better at night- is there a program of some sort that can read the whole disc and report back any errors?

Like, since I'm able to run the disc through DVD Decrypter and it copies without errors- is that good indication that the disc will play 100%?

anyone that can offer any help would be appreciated. thanks

If the discs aren't skipping when you play them then you really have no reason to worry. DVDs are surprisingly resilient to most scratches. I've played many a Netflix/public library disc that looked like they had been rolled through a sandblasting festival. The fact that DVD Decrypter will read them with no problems is further evidence that your discs are fine.

If you do have scratches so deep that they interfere with a decrypter read then you can try a disc doctor tool. Because those tools are actually abraisive to the disc, however, I don't recommend using one unless you are having serious read problems with a disc.

As far as error checking tools go, Nero comes with a program called CD/DVD Speed that has a ScanDisc function.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

For light scratches that are merely superficial and don't interfere with playback, there is no need to bother with them. For deep scratches that cause skipping and freezing while playing, there are a few things you can try. If the scratch is deep enough to reach the layer where the data is stored, then the disc won't be repairable since the actual data layer is scratched. If the scratch is deep, but not deep enough to reach the data layer, I read that sometimes toothpaste works. There is no way to buff the scratch out without actually making that part of the disc thinner with an abrasive. Brasso is good for this, since it's abrasive but very fine; it works like those disc repair kits that basically scratch a layer of the plastic off.

Anytime I have a disc that is deeply scratched and can't be repaired, I wait til the DVD or DVD set is on sale for a great price and I buy it again :D