Hands on With the Neo Geo X

• Retromags Curator

That's a badass deal all things considered. Twenty games, a portable console, a way to hook it up to your TV set and an arcade-style joystick for $200? That's like $5,000 worth of gaming material from the 90's. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder is this will go down in price in due time. I certainly do want one. I just don't want to pony up $200

I'd be surprised if it drops much. I dunno if any retailers stock them, but there for a while you couldn't touch one on Amazon for less than $400. Still have yet to find the time to even hook mine up to be honest...

I'm interested because a real NG plus games is a bit expensive to add to my collection. But I would need more info on potential future games. I'd want more action and shmups; Never was big on fighting games.

Hmm, well the NG was very much a powerhouse when it came to fighting games in the 90's. Besides Capcom, I don't think anyone else really pulled off 2d fighters quite like SNK. =)

That said, there is a pretty healthy variety on the system. If one is into roms and that sort of thing, I understand the NGX can be tinkered with to play them. So far, I have yet to even see anything on any other games for the NGX, so... that may be our only option.

Yeah. 2D fighters were too reliant on combos and memorization so I barely played any of them.

I'd want one for things like Sonic Wings/Aero Fighters, Metal Slug, the sidescrollers, etc. Enough of them are there to make me want the hardware. Just not enough to warrant a several hundred dollar hardware purchase (still that expensive after all these years) plus a hundred or more per game. Not to mention I never quite understood WHAT to get, being there's an MVS, AES, JP and US units, a CD based model, and no guide to tell me if they have different libraries.

The X is reasonably priced, but I don't know if those games will release. Haven't seen info on how it can be hacked. I'd gladly buy the games that see release, ROM's would be a backup plan. Although I did have one good idea. Since I have a MAME machine with several of these games I wonder if it would be worth getting the X to enjoy what I can, then use the new model NG joystick which I read is now USB on my PC. Skip the hacking yet keep my backup plan. Should probably start looking for info...

I think you'd like the X then, I hear especially good things about the joystick, considering it's rather cheap price.

That said, I'd love an original AES (pretty sure that was the arcade setup), but like you mention, the cost is still fairly prohibitive...

The joystick gets good reviews. The video out of the shell not so much. I'd prefer to use that over the handheld so I don't know if it's worth the price or I just stick with emulation. Can keep watching for a good Ebay deal, however unlikely as the games cost a ton too.

From what I pieced together the MVS is the arcade hardware fresh out of a cabinet. The AES is the hardware in a console model for home use, the one the X is designed after. They use similar games but need a converter.

Yeah, I have been playing with my Neo Geo X for a month now, and the system is awesome. The arcade joystick gives it a very authentic feeling of playing the original AES. On the go, you just take out the portable to game. I'd say it's the poor man's Neo Geo if you can't afford the original. I still can't believe how powerful the Neo Geo was back in 1990 when it was released. The graphics are simply very colorful, and the sprites are very large compared to the SNES and Sega Genesis of the same era. I recommend the Neo Geo X if you are never going to get the AES. It still has more games than trying to buy individual cartridges for the AES, which you will end up spending over $2,000 bucks easily. I do hope they will release more games in the future in SD Card form like Ninja Masters that came with the Neo Geo X Gold.

The Neo Geo X can be plugged into a regular CRT TV via RCA (A/V cables) or a HDTV via HDMI. I tested on both. It looks great on a standard TV with no slowdown nor any lags whatsoever. It has higher specs than the original AES, so I wouldn't expect it to have lag issues. http://www.thebitbag.com/2012/09/11/neo-geo-gold-details-emerged/ The resolution is exactly the same as the AES. On a HDTV, it looks darker and not much of an improvement, since they kept it authentic by not trying to upscale or anything. If you have a HDTV Widescreen, it will play in the standard square resolution, unless you stretch it using the widescreen feature on your TV. The system does come with both A/V and HDMI cables. I recommend you play it on a regular TV to get the full AES experience like back in the 90s.

The portable system's screen is vibrant and clear. It plays in widescreen by default. You can press one of the shoulder buttons to toggle between regular and widescreen. The portable system is nicely designed and feels very similar to the PSP. The rubber backside feels very comfortable and high-quality with a SNK Neo Geo logo embossed on the back.

Huh. I'd rather keep it in the native resolution but I don't have my SD set hooked up at the moment. Ever since getting these HD monitors I put them in front of it. Not that picky to want scan lines or anything, I just want to be sure it runs well compared to the actual hardware if I was going to get this. If I didn't say this before elsewhere I'd be getting it for the home version more than the portable version. Would like some proof that new games are coming too.

• 1 month later...

The Neo Geo X is currently on sale at Amazon for $149.99. Good price if you've been on the fence about getting it. Remember that Tommo has finished releasing the final batch of Neo Geo X Gold Limited Edition units. So after they are sold out, they will release the regular systems. I assume either just the portable unit by itself with no docking station (since it's coming out in April as well) or just a system without the Ninja Masters game bundled with it.

http://www.amazon.com/NEOGEO-X-GOLD-Limited-Electronic-Games/dp/B0093G9VOI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1364321722&sr=1-1&keywords=neo+geo+x

Also, there will be five new Neo Geo X game cards coming out next month. Already for pre-order at Amazon. Each card will have 3 new games on them. You also get a free travel charge cable for your Neo Geo X portable unit with a purchase of a game card.

http://www.amazon.com/Neogeo-Classics-Vol-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00BQR56GO/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1364321968&sr=1-2&keywords=neo+geo+x

Here's the press release about the total of 15 new games releasing next month (according to Amazon pre-orders, it will be April 25, 2013):

http://neogeox.com/tommo-announces-neogeox-classics

I'm still unsure if this is what I want. Only 3 games per card means low chances at getting the shmups I'm looking for anytime soon, and without buying a ton of games I'm not as interested in. $150 isn't a lot but it's just the fact that I don't know what else might be coming or if they'll update it to work out kinks. Basically all the info they're withholding is the very stuff I want to know before picking one up. Go figure.

Thanks for the update Phil! If I remember the game correctly, Sengoku was pretty badass back in the day. I remember playing it as a kid in our local arcade, and the fact you played as a ninja, who could summon (or maybe turn into?) things like tigers and dragons? Of course, this blew my mind back then haha.

Still, $25 seems a little steep for an SD card, even if they are NeoGeo games. Also, I'm a little curious on what this "update" is for. I wonder if it's a means of locking out (or at least attempting to) hackers, as was the case with the continual PSP updates over the years...

Thanks for the update Phil! If I remember the game correctly, Sengoku was pretty badass back in the day. I remember playing it as a kid in our local arcade, and the fact you played as a ninja, who could summon (or maybe turn into?) things like tigers and dragons? Of course, this blew my mind back then haha.

Still, $25 seems a little steep for an SD card, even if they are NeoGeo games. Also, I'm a little curious on what this "update" is for. I wonder if it's a means of locking out (or at least attempting to) hackers, as was the case with the continual PSP updates over the years...

I will definitely be getting those games next month. So I will inform you guys on what the "update" will be about. My mentality is that I would rather spend money on an authentic re-release of Neo Geo and its games than modern stuff. The Neo Geo AES is nice but still way overpriced. This is the next best thing to experiencing Neo Geo without spending major bucks. Hey, at least I'm making a statement that I want to support the retro community. If they re-released the Atari Jaguar or the Philips CD-I, I would get that too! lol.

If they re-released the Atari Jaguar or the Philips CD-I, I would get that too! lol.

Clearly you never played one the first time around... :lol:

Agreed on the support of retro gaming though. All the hubbub of new consoles, I honestly... just meh. I'm good where I'm at. Facebook can have the kiddos and their gaming habits these days.

And now it's on sale for $130. I caved and got one after doing some research to see what it would take to get these games any other way. Always wanted one for the collection and really prefer the AES platform. Problem is the games are stupid expensive, and that goes for all games not just rare ones. The CD version is much cheaper but appears to be missing many of the games that released in cart form. An in-between solution would be the MVS hardware since the games are cheaper than AES, more costly than CD, but it's not very appealing as it's pretty much bare bones arcade hardware. Then I found out about something called the Supergun and a CMVS which are sort of alternate ways of enjoying the MVS option.

So I'm hoping for the best on the X and if it falls flat then I'll just have to stick with emulation until reasonable prices can be found. It's just a bit too much for me to commit to considering how many current gen games I've yet to finish and how many more are coming.

I don't know of anything good on the Jag or CDi. The few other things I'd like to find would be a TG16 or maybe a Master System. Anything I buy needs to have at least a few games worth playing or it's just a waste of cash ya know?

I still remember the days of ads in the back of gaming mags with the NeoGeo, selling the consoles for $500+ and the games for $100-200. Used to be, that was insane to think that someone would pay that much. I still do, but to a kid, that cost just puts the thing in a special realm. Almost like an obscenely expensive car. I could easily build something faster than a Ferarri, but c'mon... it's a Ferarri. They're just cool, and I think the NG has a lot of that same appeal.

As for the Jag and CDI, the only reason I'd ever consider picking one up is if it was less than $20, and in decent enough shape to put on a shelf for decoration. The games just weren't there, hence their failures.

The TG16 and Master System on the other hand... there was some gold on both of them.

Well, to me, I don't really care if a system had any good games on it. I'll buy a retro system just to have it. I plan to own all retro consoles that were released in North America eventually. I'm only missing a few right now, such as what I've mentioned--Atari Jaguar, Philips CD-I, Intellivision, Turbo Express, Sega Game Gear, and the Odyssey. But congrats to DPsx7 for getting the Neo Geo X. I think you'll like it. If you happen to have a buddy who got the system, ask him or her to bring over an arcade stick to do some multiplayer action! Nothing like a game of local co-op.

One game that I'm looking into buying for the Sega Master System is Golden Axe Warrior. It's rare and many people never heard of it. But it was Sega's answer to The Legend of Zelda. I heard great things about it.

For me the collecting was sort of a result of excessive gaming, not the goal. Lol. What that means is when I buy a game or platform I intend to enjoy it at some point, otherwise it's just wasting money. If I wanted full sets then I'd have to buy a lot of old sports games and other kids titles which would just collect dust and take up space. I feel I'd rather spend that cash on something to use, ya know? Those who focus on collecting tend to play less and that's not gonna work for me.

Hopefully the X does a suitable job. Nah I don't know anyone who's still local that plays games.

Heh funny you mention that 'cause it's one game I'd also like to have. I can confirm it's a lot like Zelda because it was included on the Genesis Collection released on PS3. Didn't play it long though just in case I did get the Master System someday.

• Retromags Curator

One game that I'm looking into buying for the Sega Master System is Golden Axe Warrior. It's rare and many people never heard of it. But it was Sega's answer to The Legend of Zelda. I heard great things about it.

At one point I had every Master System game released in the US and Canada (we got games the US didn't and vice versa) except for James Buster Douglas Knockout Boxing, and Golden Axe Warrior was one of them. I am not sure if I still have it, as I sold a lot of my retro games three years ago because I knew I would never play them all, and because they were taking up too much space in our small house. I wonder if I still have it...

At one point I had every Master System game released in the US and Canada (we got games the US didn't and vice versa) except for James Buster Douglas Knockout Boxing, and Golden Axe Warrior was one of them. I am not sure if I still have it, as I sold a lot of my retro games three years ago because I knew I would never play them all, and because they were taking up too much space in our small house. I wonder if I still have it...

That's cool. If you still have it, would you be willing to sell it to me? :-) I have a decent collection of games for the Master System. But I still need to get Golden Axe Warrior, Ninja Gaiden, and probably Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.