How much will "Nintendo Power" magazines be worth in future?

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Wow.....just wow!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20121105010038AA3kwE4

post-1-0-81451700-1352172932_thumb.jpg

Question

If you somehow had ALL the nintendo power magazines from 1998 untill December 2012. How much you think it be worth 20 years from now?

Best Answer

Depends what the price of recycled paper is in 20 years.

Magazines don't usually increase in value, not unless they're special in some way. Even rare ones probably won't sell for much more than what you paid for them. They're not like comic books in that way.

Now if you had one signed by Miyamoto Shigeru or Inafune Keiji, you can look at maybe a few hundred bucks for them or perhaps a few thousand from a collector.

Other than that, expect about $200-300 for the whole set, sans a few special editions which might get you $10-15 a piece if they're special. The key is to keep them in as close to mint condition as possible. Vaccum seal the bags in mylar or plastic or something and you might raise a buck a piece or more for them.

I wouldn't expect much. My mags are pretty beat but other than nostalgia value there's nothing new to read. At least games can be enjoyed many times over the years, they'll hold some value.

I've debated on what to do with all mine. Do I find room and keep 'em for the hell of it? Do I junk 'em to free up space? Many of them aren't ready for you guys to scan, they're too new. The only mag with any kind of protection is my NP #1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

For me, keeping these old magazines isn't about how much they'll be worth. It's about re-reading them and remembering how great that time was, or reading some of them for the first time. I just find the magazines far more interesting than anything found on the gaming websites.

• Like 1

For me, keeping these old magazines isn't about how much they'll be worth. It's about re-reading them and remembering how great that time was, or reading some of them for the first time. I just find the magazines far more interesting than anything found on the gaming websites.

I surely agree. It's like a time capsule about video games in time past. Just like ancient scriptures and books, they capture a chronological history of events that happened in print form that you can pass to future generations about the roots of video games and where it came from. Sure, you can design a web page to talk about video game history; but can you really create that inspiration and feeling you hold in your hands from a magazine that was printed in 1989? The mood and excitement that journalists wrote in 1989 are totally different from today's perspective.

My Nintendo Power and EGM magazines will never be sold to anyone. It will remain in my archives for many generations as a part of history.