PlayStation: The Official Magazine ending production later this year

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Back in August, we learned that the offices of Nintendo Power will be going dark at the end of the year. Today we’re finding out that Nintendo Power won’t be the only gaming magazine to cease production in 2012, as Game Informer reports that PlayStation: The Official Magazine will be joining it. PlayStation: The Official Magazine will be shutting down after its Holiday 2012 issue hits newsstands.

post-1-0-73613600-1352252789.jpg

Future US, the publisher of PlayStation: The Official Magazine, confirmed the news to Kotaku. “Future US can confirm it will end production of PlayStation: The Official Magazine with the last issue slated for the Holiday 2012 issue,” said a company spokesperson. PlayStation: The Official Magazine has been releasing monthly ever since the first issue launched the magazine way back in September 1997, though back then it was known as PlayStation Magazine.

Future US is also the publisher of Nintendo Power, so we guess it should come as much of a surprise that it’s pulling the plug on PlayStation: The Official Magazine as well. Print media has taken quite a few hits with the rise of the Internet, and game magazines seem to be going dark at a pretty depressing rate. Unfortunately, we don’t have a reason why Future US is dropping PlayStation: The Official Magazine, but then again, it’s pretty easy to assume that it’s because of lagging subscriber numbers.

To tell the truth, we’ll miss both Nintendo Power and PlayStation: The Official Magazine. To many of us, Nintendo Power and PlayStation: The Official Magazine both served as go-to gaming news sources, so it’s sad to see them go. Keep it tuned here to SlashGear, as we’ll update you if we hear anything more about the shutdown of PlayStation: The Official Magazine.

Source

http://www.slashgear...-year-06255891/

WTF?! I like mags so I can get away from the PC once in a while. Online has too many ads and crap too. I 'used' to subscribe to 3 mags. NP was the first to go and that sucks. Now this sucks harder because now I'm down to the one I like the least - GI. I only get it because it's required with GS's store card. Now I won't get mail every month. However I won't have to keep finding place to store them.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think I can properly express my feelings. While I haven't patronized gaming magazines outside of Retro Gamer and some fanzines (Scroll rules), I think there will be something lost. It doesn't seem that long ago I would stop by the magazine rack at Target to pick up my CGW and thumb through open copies of OPM and Xbox Magazine.

I haven't bought a physical magazine in half a year (the last was Retro Gamer). I do read digital, but I tend to switch it up between two computer tablets (that's right, computer, not conventional): an old HP TC1100 (my workhorse), and an HP TC4400. I've had my eyes on those Literati readers for a while now, but that'll be for books only. For gaming magazines you need a large screen. I hate zooming around a page to read everything properly.

• 2 months later...

When that happens is when I will stop reading game magazines. I have no interest in staring at a screen even more. Magazines help me get away from screens.

Honestly, I already have since PTOM stopped. I now have about 3' of shelf space filled with nearly 20 years of Gamepro, PSM/PTOM, EGM, and a couple other randoms thrown in.

E-Day, Philly, if ever you guys want to borrow a mostly complete collection of PTOM for archiving purposes, please let me know. I have issues 9, 11-68 (or whatever the very last issue was?), most of them are in quite good condition too.