A Rare Dilemma

MBJ

While making my last post I thought up another topic that is worthy of discussion. Rather than write about it myself I'll just post the section from Wikipedia, which summarizes the issue quite well. The original article can be found at the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_%28video...mpany%29#Future

"On March 26, 2006, Matt Casamassina, Editor-in-Chief of IGN Wii, had announced in his blog that Nintendo's Wii Virtual Console service, a feature which allows players to download games from the history of Nintendo, will be "Rareless" [4]. He stated that he had "met with some Rare/Microsoft staff" while attending the 2006 Game Developers Conference, who confirmed once and for all that the Virtual Console will not see any Rare-owned licenses. This means that classic Rare titles such as Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, and Banjo-Kazooie (to name a few) may be absent from the download service; GoldenEye 007 has the added problem that the James Bond video game license is held by Activision, and would require both Rare and Activision's approval to be released on the system. The Donkey Kong games that were developed by Rare remain unaffected, since Nintendo retain the rights to the Donkey Kong series. However, despite the blog post, Rare or Microsoft have yet to make an official announcement regarding this particular issue."

Other titles developed by Rare that this could potentially affect are: R.C. Pro-Am, Cobra Triangle, Marble Madness, Silent Service, Snake Rattle 'n' Roll, Battletoads, Killer Instinct, Blast Corps, and Conquer's Bad Fur Day.

I don't really know what to say about this other than it sucks and I wish that Nintendo could work something out with Rare to make these classic titles available. What are your thoughts on this issue?

Yep it would suck not to have this. Didn't rare develop games like DK Country?

Yes, but as the quote in my first post noted: "The Donkey Kong games that were developed by Rare remain unaffected, since Nintendo retains the rights to the Donkey Kong series."

Yes, but as the quote in my first post noted: "The Donkey Kong games that were developed by Rare remain unaffected, since Nintendo retains the rights to the Donkey Kong series."

:sleeping: Sorry I missed that, must have read too fast