The Final Nintendo Power Cover is Awesomely Nostalgic

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

On the left, the cover of the final issue of Nintendo Power magazine, a publication that's been running since the 80s. It's great on its own, but when you remember what the first issue of Nintendo Power looked like, on the right, it's enough to bring a tear to the eye.

Nintendo Power's closure was announced back in August.

http://kotaku.com/5964491/the-last-nintendo-power-cover-is-awesomely-nostalgic

post-1-0-99714200-1354246058.jpg

Whoa, very cool. They said the final issue would be awesome. Looks like they are living up to those standards. So as Nintendo Power is closing its doors, the video game industry is closing its old age and dawn of a new one. You may like or dislike it. But it is growing up and becoming more mature, although somewhat childish at times, just like a person going through their growth phases. However, we have yet to see its prime. We are still seeing its teenage years. Get ready for it and embrace the new age of video games.

• Retromags Curator

This should be in Magazine Talk, where I had put the same kind of topic because I didn't know this one existed, and just deleted it!

Far better cover than what I had thought up for a final cover. Even the Bowser flag on the very right is a nice touch, signifying the end.

As for a new age of video games...if that involves even more shooters and more photorealistic imagery, then I am not interested. I prefer the colorful cartoony look over photo-realism. And now I am stuck with only EGM and Game Informer to read, both of which obsess over shooters and photo-realistic graphics.

• Retromags Curator

quesiton. PLEASE E-Day, will be getting this issue scanned and uploaded for all of us to read here ?!?!?!

some of us are not subsribers anymore :(

Yeah, but as with all last issues, they will be printing plenty of them and you can find them at your local CVS, Walmart or grocery store. We are still RetroMags, not CurrentMags. I am sure someone out there will scan the final issue, but it will not be us.....nor will we be linking to such things.

As for a new age of video games...if that involves even more shooters and more photorealistic imagery, then I am not interested. I prefer the colorful cartoony look over photo-realism. And now I am stuck with only EGM and Game Informer to read, both of which obsess over shooters and photo-realistic graphics.

Yep, I find myself enjoying older games on the Super NES, Genesis, and Playstation/PS2 more often these days. I only play new games with my friends online. Seems older games are just more fun to play. Simple as that. The small, downloadable games though have the more old-school feel. You should try those.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, I did the same thing as Spoon for my collection page. Took a pic of the first and last. Haven't gotten to read it yet. And it kinda sucks to only be left with GI because that mag focuses too much on crap and 360 stuff. I just want the Sony or Nin stuff from their dedicated mags. Would be nice if it were revived down the road.

I practically had to beg for the last 2 issues because my sub ran out in Oct. Paying retail price for these mags wasn't gonna work either. I've paid for entire years for the same price it would cost to have 2 issues sent to me. I have like the first year or 3 of NP and then all since the Wii. Missed most of the SNES, N64, and GC years. Was getting other mags during that time.

So how long until you do scan it for the site? Dunno your policy on discontinued mags. Or do you wanna wait and see if it's really gone?

• Retromags Curator
10 years if I remember correctly, so each year you'll see the 12 issues from 10 years ago be allowed to be upped.

You remember incorrectly :P.

It used to be a rolling five year period Then a few years ago it was changed to a hard 1999 cutoff for everything. Then I changed it about a year and a half ago to 1999 for all magazines still in publication and something like 2002 or 2003 for others. Right now I don't know exactly what the policy is since contributions have nearly stopped.

As far as Nintendo Power, the body isn't even cold yet, so it's a bit early to be discussing when to scan what. In any case, there is no chance of us scanning anything recent of theirs while they have back issues available for purchase from their site. Anyone who wants to read the last issue is encouraged to go to their local newsstand and pick up a copy. They are already sold out on Future US's online shop.

They were actually sold out on the 11th.. I put an order through while it still said they were in stock and after not receiving an order conformation email I called their

customer service. They were extremely rude and just told me "well, if you didn't receive an email then we must be out of stock."

Ironic name for a company that has no future...

You remember incorrectly :P.

It used to be a rolling five year period Then a few years ago it was changed to a hard 1999 cutoff for everything. Then I changed it about a year and a half ago to 1999 for all magazines still in publication and something like 2002 or 2003 for others. Right now I don't know exactly what the policy is since contributions have nearly stopped.

As far as Nintendo Power, the body isn't even cold yet, so it's a bit early to be discussing when to scan what. In any case, there is no chance of us scanning anything recent of theirs while they have back issues available for purchase from their site. Anyone who wants to read the last issue is encouraged to go to their local newsstand and pick up a copy. They are already sold out on Future US's online shop.

• 2 weeks later...

My subscription ran out shortly after they announced they were ending publication, so I wasn't able to renew. I spent the last 5 or so months waiting for the next issue to show up at Barnes & Noble. Was able to snag a newsstand copy at BNN and wanted another one to keep sealed but a week later they were nowhere to be found. I had been subscribing since the Nintendo Fun Club days, I stopped for a bit during the Gamecube Era but started up again during the Wii. My wife actually e-mailed them to ask for one of those farewell letters since we're in the process of trying to collect whatever we're missing. Thankfully they obliged.

It was a really sad issue. Especially at the end with Nester.