Must have Sega Saturn games

theBobbyCrogan

Hi everyone,

my brother just returned from a 4 year stint in the marines with a sega dreamcast and saturn in tow. The dreamcast he kept but I got the saturn. I wanted one of these so bad when I was a kid. History turned out differently and we ended up with a playstation one instead. Can you guys recommend some games for my new/old system. Thanks in advance. My favorite genres are rpg's and survival horror.

• Retromags Curator

OK, my personal picks for Saturn titles that are must-haves would be:

- Magic Knights Rayearth

- Panzer Dragoon Saga

- NiGHTS Into Dreams

- D

- Tomb Raider

- Legend of Oasis

- House of the Dead

- Die Hard Arcade

- Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean

- Shining Force III

There were a whopping THREE survival horror titles I'm aware of released on the Saturn in the US ('Enemy Zero', 'Alone in the Dark II', and 'Resident Evil' in the non-director's cut format), five if you count the light gun shooter 'House of the Dead' and the adventure game 'D', and six if you count the awful corridor shooter that tried to be scary, 'Creature Shock'. The UK got a kick-ass game called "Deep Fear", but even though it's in English, it won't run on a US system thanks to the PAL video output.

Be aware that RPGs are among the most highly-coveted and sought-after games for that system. Many of them will run you over $50 for the discs alone. For complete boxed copies with the instructions of games like Albert Odyssey or Magic Knights Rayearth, you're looking at $150-200 range, and I've seen Panzer Dragoon Saga go as high as $400 depending on condition. :)

Lastly, there's a pretty darn good version of the original Quake that's good for a few frags if you don't own the PC version and don't mind a lack of multiplayer. :)

*huggles*
Areala

Edited by Areala
Brain fart; the Lunar games were for Sega CD, not Saturn...

I used to love my saturn. While everyone else had a ps1, p4p my saturn in its early days had the better games. There were a lot of great games for the system. Sadly it died pretty soon but there are some classics. Some of my personal favs are Shining Force 3, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix, Virtua Fighter 2, Quake, Sega Rally, Tomb Raider, Panzer Dragoon 1&2, Burning Rangers, Nights Into Dreams & Christmas Nights, Street Fight Alpha, X-Men - Children Of The Atom, and Guardian Heroes! All of these games will give you plenty of hours of fun. Ok so Christmas Nights is a very short game and was a freebie originally, but it was still better than most games released at the time. Track down these games, you wont regret it especially if your into your fighting games.

If you like Track & Field / Hyper Olympics type games, Athlete Kings is good. I've got the CD from when I had the console (long since dead) and will one day get round to getting a new console just to play it.

As above, Sega Rally, too.

Edited by bucephalus

• 2 weeks later...

I remember purchasing Magic Knight Rayearth and Albert Oddysey when they

were new in 1998. MNR was the last game published for Saturn a year after
support was halted but Working Design of Redding California were committed to
finishing the game although late and in limited quantities.

I have heard many people enjoyed Burning Rangers but it never really clicked
with me. I owned a Saturn when everyone else had a Playstation 1 and alot
of Saturn's games were either available for both systems or later ported to
PS1. The first time I felt fear in a game was playing Resident Evil on my
Saturn.

I enjoyed 3 shooter games that were only on Sega; those were Panzer Dragoon,
Panzer Dragoon Zwei (2) , and Radiant Silvergun from Treasure.

Radiant Silvergun was only every available on Arcade and Sega Saturn and was most publically
acclaimed.

I loved my Saturn back in the day (and still play it from time to time). Here's my top picks:

Guardian Heroes

Panzer Dragoon (series)

Virtua Fighter (series)

Nights (with 3d control pad)

Virtua Cop (series, with lightguns which you'll need a crt tv to use)

Sega Rally

Solar Eclipse

Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Legend of Oasis

Powerslave

Shining the Holy Ark

Shinobi Legions

All these games should be fairly easy to find on ebay, and with the exception of Panzer Dragoon Saga, should cost between $5-40. Good luck!

The UK got a kick-ass game called "Deep Fear", but even though it's in English, it won't run on a US system thanks to the PAL video output.

Let's say you used a region bypass cartridge like the Action Replay cart, then that game would work fine on a US Saturn.

There are some PAL Saturn games that have major issues when played at 60hz, but aside from some occasional slight green type artifacts at the very top of the screen, Deep Fear plays fine on an NTSC Saturn system.

• Retromags Curator

Let's say you used a region bypass cartridge like the Action Replay cart, then that game would work fine on a US Saturn.

There are some PAL Saturn games that have major issues when played at 60hz, but aside from some occasional slight green type artifacts at the very top of the screen, Deep Fear plays fine on an NTSC Saturn system.

Oh wow! That's great to know. I've got an AR, so now I've got a reason to add Deep Fear to my collection. Thanks, Spiro! :)

*huggles*

Areala

• 1 year later...

Sega's Saturn is my go-to 2D fighter system. So much Capcom love there. Some of my faves:

Street Fighter Alpha 1 & 2

X-Men: Children of the Atom (published by Acclaim and hard as the dickens)

Marvel Super Heroes (LOVE this game)

X-Men Vs. Street Fighter

Pocket Fighter

Vampire Savior (aka Darkstalkers)

A few of those are imports but the Action Replay via cart slot makes the Saturn an extremely import-friendly machine. I still have a number of imports left on my wish list, actually. Marvel vs. Street Fighter and Cyberbots, namely.

Lots of other great games on Sat as well. Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Nights into Dreams, Burning Rangers (a little rough around the edges but I really liked the theme), Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, and the Virtua Cops. I hope to find Working Design's Sega Ages collection someday. And Sonic Jam. Oh, and import Night Strikers S! Really need to track that one down - loved playing the original arcade game in college. Think Space Harrier X Outrun and you'll have an idea.

I need to reacquire Magic Knight Rayearth and Guardian Heroes sometime. Sold those way back when. Sigh.

True story. Back in the day, I stopped by Toys R Us after work and was checking out their game clearance section. They had Street Fighter Alphas 1 & 2 for ten bucks each. They also had Panzer Dragoon Saga for twenty. I went with the Alphas.

Hashtag regrets.