Classic Run & Gun Video Game Survey

JonneLyonne

Cool, I always want to support indie movie or game development in some form or another. I just put in my two cents. Good luck and have fun, let me know if you need my feedback or help in any way.

Thanks a lot for your reply... if its not too much too ask though, could I get a bit of help from you to pass this survey on to other people who you think might be interested?... or are there any other forums which you think I can post this survey on to get more results?...

Sure, below are a couple of forums and web sites I visit on a daily basis. They are very passionate about classic games and will be glad to help out. I'm an active member of the first one. So tell them I sent ya. Just post in the general gaming discussion thread. We talk about classic games there. The second one has very high traffic so that you'll get a bigger response on your survey.

1. http://www.jce3000gt.com/forum/index.php

2. http://www.retrocollect.com/forum/

Yeah I took it but the answers were a little undefined. I don't think extremely challenging is a great idea, but at the same time you don't want it to hold your hand. You want to feel like you're always making progress otherwise you'll go find something else to play. Simplicity is vague, it should be easy to learn without being bland after the first 5 minutes. If you're aiming for stuff like Contra, Megaman, Gunstar, and the like I don't see how it could go really wrong. The main suggestion would be to create something that doesn't feel like a clone. Oh, a huge factor is to focus on gameplay and not graphics.

And I didn't know what you meant by being involved with development so I just chose no. With more details I wouldn't mind offering suggestions or watching some gameplay.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I took it but the answers were a little undefined. I don't think extremely challenging is a great idea, but at the same time you don't want it to hold your hand. You want to feel like you're always making progress otherwise you'll go find something else to play. Simplicity is vague, it should be easy to learn without being bland after the first 5 minutes. If you're aiming for stuff like Contra, Megaman, Gunstar, and the like I don't see how it could go really wrong. The main suggestion would be to create something that doesn't feel like a clone. Oh, a huge factor is to focus on gameplay and not graphics.

And I didn't know what you meant by being involved with development so I just chose no. With more details I wouldn't mind offering suggestions or watching some gameplay.

Thanks a lot! The questions are there to help me confirm certain aspects about the people who enjoy these games, perhaps you're right about some of the answers being a little undefined, but that is what I have the comments section at the bottom for. That said, I do agree with most of what you've said and my aim is definitely on polishing the game-play, enemy and level designs before thinking too much about the graphical and auditory aspects of the game.

Sure, below are a couple of forums and web sites I visit on a daily basis. They are very passionate about classic games and will be glad to help out. I'm an active member of the first one. So tell them I sent ya. Just post in the general gaming discussion thread. We talk about classic games there. The second one has very high traffic so that you'll get a bigger response on your survey.

1. http://www.jce3000gt.com/forum/index.php

2. http://www.retrocollect.com/forum/

Sorry about the double post, thanks for the suggestions, have just made posts on both sites and hope to get more replies soon. I am actually hoping to finish a prototype sometime soon and I hope to get feedback and etc from yourself and everyone else who has been keen to help so far.

Thanks again!