Retro Gaming

What can I say I love older games, I actually got my start on a Coleco Gemini. Then worked my way up with stops at the Genesis, PS1, and a couple of portables until finally my latest purchase a PSP. You might be surprised by this I actually got it for the classic gaming collections out there rather than any modern game...even though I own a few.

I really love playing some games I honestly never heard of before like The Knights of the Round on my Capcom Classic Collection reloaded it's a really fantastic game. The same can be said for ever new find for example Capcom Classic Collection reloaded has this great version of 1941. Namco Museum Battle Collection where just about ever game is fantastic. Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play, Taito Legends Power Up are both great but the real find was SNK Arcade and Top Hunter. I wonder why I never heard of such a great game.

Meanwhile Hot Pixel and Space Invaders Extreme are modern takes on what is really old school.

I even found a few emulators that work on my non modded model. One for the NES what can I say I love the Donkey Kong games, and one for the 7800 what can I say Food Fight is fun.

You can go modern, yet be old school.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

my mom had an Atari when she was a teen, so as a kid i played that. probably my first gaming. my uncle (her brother) had an Intellivision, which i thought was the coolest thing ever.

we got an NES in 1986 i believe. i was 4. i still have it and it still works, although i've picked up a toploader since then and never use my original anymore. it definitely has made the most impression on me since i still play it and collect games. it spawned my lifelong Nintendo love.

we didn't have a whole lot of arcade machines around here. the ones that made the most impact on my gaming life:

Dig Dug. it was at a local pub and my brother and i would just fill that puppy up with quarters.

Ninja Turtles. X-Men. both were at the skating rink. whenever we went there (bday parties and such) most of my time was spent playing one of these.

Tekken (2 i think?) local bowling alley had this one. always played as King because he had a tiger mask and used pro wrestling moves. coolest thing ever.

Lucky & Wild. two player, one shoots and the other drives & shoots. one of my good friends and i played the shit out of this game in the late '90s.

I've found myself going more and more retro each year. While I still enjoy many modern games, most of the genres I'm especially fond of have fallen by the wayside or are only available via the digital scene - something I can't fully support. So I pretty much stick with the retro stuff anymore - be they compilations, remakes, remixes, or originals.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I grew up with the Atari 2600, though also tinkered around with the Colecovision and Intellivision, which both felt so inferior. Then I got the NES when I was 9, and...well, I never looked back.

Actually that's not true. I sometimes do look back, to be reminded of what those old Atari games were like.

Then I remember why I prefer to emulate systems from the NES onward.

I grew up with the Atari 2600, though also tinkered around with the Colecovision and Intellivision, which both felt so inferior. Then I got the NES when I was 9, and...well, I never looked back.

Actually that's not true. I sometimes do look back, to be reminded of what those old Atari games were like.

Then I remember why I prefer to emulate systems from the NES onward.

I started with the Intellivision myself as well. I might be now on more modern consoles, but one of my favorite things is the Atari Classics on the iPad when used with the iCade system. Looks like a mini arcade box in my house. I'm actually debating on getting a Rasberry Pi unit and looking at setting up a MAME system/arcade box with a basic 17" monitor and x-arcade stick so the kids can play some of those arcade classics.

First game I played was Tempest, coin-op. I was utterly amazed by it at the time. Then I got to go to the mall and see Jungle King and Zaxxon. First game system was an Atari VCS, but I don't remember if it was a 6 or 4 switch model. It wasn't for me, though, as my parents were still in their early twenties at the time. I remember being irritated that I couldn't get a turn playing Asteroids or Space Invaders. This all had to be back in like 1982 or so.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think almost all who register on this forum love retrogames) My first games were on ZX-Spectrum, more true on an anonymous Russian clone) Later was my own Sega Genesis... Games in NES at friends... Arcades on train stations - Toki, Rastan, Mortal Kombat... After that - almost all games on emulators on PC... Now - Android with many many emulators)

• 3 months later...

My father would buy older consoles at tag-sales, so I grew up with the NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, Atari 2600, and the Jaguar. As I got older and had my own money I bought Gameboy games and the N64 was the first console that I bought. The most recent console I owned was the Sega Dreamcast. The most chronological game I played and beat was Metal Slug 6 (2006), so  I don't know what's been going on in the gaming world over the past 10 years (other than there's PS4 and XboxOne).

• 5 months later...

My first ever console was the Famicom. where I lived, we didn't get the NES. Not only that, it was a hacked one where it had like more than a 100 games, similar to the NES classic nowadays. But my fondest memories were of the PS1. Games like RE,SH,FF..etc were my favorites. I remember running from my room out of fear after the first monster broke the window in Silent Hill lol

• 1 month later...

Big retro fan here. Getting the switch though. First ever game was probably pong at my grandfather. First game I owned was the Nintende Game&Watch game Lion. Then the atari, commodore plus4, commodore 64 etc, etc etc.

Bit off topic: my grandfather was quite the tech nerd in his day, repairing tv's and what have you not. He actually had a huge stack of computer magazines from the early 80's. Unfortunatley when he passed they were all dumped in the trash (I was not around to save them). I remember atari age, computer games and videogames.