Bullying Affects Social Status?

DealBot

An anonymous reader wrote to mention a ScienceDaily article about the social status effects of bullying on mice and men. From the article: "The results reveal neural mechanisms by which social learning is shaped by psychosocial experience and how antidepressants act in this particular brain circuit. They also suggest new strategies for treating mood disorders such as depression, social phobia and post-traumatic stress disorder, in which social withdrawal is a prominent symptom ... He and his colleagues also discovered that social defeat triggered an upheaval in gene expression in the target area of the circuit, the nucleus accumbens, located deep in the front part of the brain -- 309 genes increased in expression while 17 decreased."slashdot?g=3638

http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot?m=3638

Really? Getting your butt kicked causes you to be maladjusted? There's a shocker. I would be more interested in a question such as: Does getting your butt kicked in front of a group of people cause more maladjustment than if it happened in private (ex. just you and the bully behind the gym).

• 4 months later...

Bullying sucks, don't get me wrong, but I worry when we're reaching the point in society when we can't teach kids how to handle defeat. Yes, people have mental problems that need addressing too (I deal with depression, so I understand this), and I was bullied in school in my early high school years, I just hope I guess that it gets to the point that they want everyone to be nothing more then drones.

That all sounds way disjointed, I hope the point is solid.