whats taking so long on getting the new retromags going?

magazine_guy7

Other than the new look and format for the Retromags 2.0, I'm not sure if there is going to be any difference in terms of the number of magazines that will available at the time of launch. Phillyman has stated that 800-900 magazines will be available at the time of launch. Currently there are 947 magazins available in the Magazines Download section.

Unless there are going to be a lot more new magazines available, more than the 947 currently available, personally I don't think it really matters whether Retromags 2.0 launches now or in 6 months. The 1999 rule hasn't changed either from my understand. So you're basically going to get the same number of magazines that are already currrently available on the site.

If you haven't signed up for a Newshosting account, I highly recommend it. They have a 14-day free trial period. The downloads are extrememly fast. I downloaded all the GamePro, EGM and Game Players magazines in less than an hour. The I cancelled my account. I didn't have to pay a penny in the end. You could download all 947 magazines in probably less than 2 hours. I think 947 mags should keep you until Retromags 2.0 is launched :)

• Retromags Curator

Hey Magazine_Guy7,

At the moment, we just finished up with most of the work on the structure of the database....now we are entering data into the system. Keep in mind that almost 100% of the work is being done by no one other than myself. I can only work on Retromags when work and real life permit. The new magazine database has 11,000 video game magazine records contained within it. This database also allows any of our registered members to add and edit the contents of this database. Now with that feature came some concerns....

1) We want to minimize mistakes, so we had to restrict down what 90% of our members could edit in the database. Each magazine record has around 29 fields of data, some of these fields should only be edited by staff, some only by team members, while others should be editable by everyone.

The issue was that the system we are using, does not allow this by default. The individual fields can either be shown or hidden to everyone. So I had to modify this system heavily, by creating custom templates that look at what group a member is in, and then choosing which fields show to that particular group. To accomplish this, I had to pay around $150 to hire someone that was familar with this software and then wait for him to free up so that he could implement my vision. This part was only just finished up about a day ago!

2) We want to control what information can be entered. The magazine database does not know if Nintendo Power Issue 186 from December 2004 is allowed to be preserved. The database had to be programmed to know not to allow download links for certain records in database.

Now again that issue also brings it's own set of problems. Since I had to program the database to check whether download links are permissable....there had to be something in each record to check against. That validator ended up being the "Year" field.....as every magazine record has a year field. So that is the big hold up at the moment.....as with 11,000 video game records.....I have to manually input the month and year data into each of those records.

Now I am all up for help on this, if anyone wants to help me along....all I need is spreadsheets that have the issue number and month and year information populated......

Nintendo Power Issue 1, July/August, 1988

Nintendo Power Issue 2, September/October, 1988

Nintendo Power Issue 285, December, 2012

MisterZero is helping me out at the moment with the UK magazines.....but I am still working on the USA magazines....I have about 65 different magazines that I need this information for....I can provide guidance if anyone wants to help speed along this process :)

-Robert

• Retromags Curator

Other than the new look and format for the Retromags 2.0, I'm not sure if there is going to be any difference in terms of the number of magazines that will available at the time of launch. Phillyman has stated that 800-900 magazines will be available at the time of launch. Currently there are 947 magazins available in the Magazines Download section.

Unless there are going to be a lot more new magazines available, more than the 947 currently available, personally I don't think it really matters whether Retromags 2.0 launches now or in 6 months. The 1999 rule hasn't changed either from my understand. So you're basically going to get the same number of magazines that are already currrently available on the site.

If you haven't signed up for a Newshosting account, I highly recommend it. They have a 14-day free trial period. The downloads are extrememly fast. I downloaded all the GamePro, EGM and Game Players magazines in less than an hour. The I cancelled my account. I didn't have to pay a penny in the end. You could download all 947 magazines in probably less than 2 hours. I think 947 mags should keep you until Retromags 2.0 is launched :)

Well the 947 magazines that are up on Newsgroups at the moment, are still 200+ shy of what we actually should have. If you go back to our old download manager....

http://community.retromags.com/files

You will see that there are 1132 files that "should" be available for download. Now I have not had a chance to sort through all that and see how many of them are supplements, guides and promotional materials. But once Retromags 2.0 is launched, I will be able to focus back on scanning magazines....and hopefully our community will come together and help rebuild the database with redundant links to each scanned magazine. By default I have 5 download links for each magazine in the database.....

Official Download = An official download link provided by E-Day or Myself

NewsGroup Download = A second official way to download each magazine

Download Option 1 = A community provided redundant link

Download Option 2 = A second community provided redundant link

Download Option 3 = A third community provided redundant link

So with time, each of those 947 magazines will have two options to download provided by Retromags staff, and up to 3 additional ways to download provided by our members. No more putting all our eggs in 1 basket. The hope is that Retromags will have 947 Rapidshare links provided by the staff, then another 947 Newsgroup links......and 947 Hotfile links, 947 4Shared links, and 947 Mediafire links. Then if 1 of those services happens to up and disappear....we are not screwed!

The new system also opens up new doors for people to help us out. Since Retromags started, most people think they can only help out if they scan a magazine. This new system destroys that way of thinking! Now EVERYONE can help Retromags.....No scanner or photoshop experience needed! Users can come and add a missing cover for a magazine, help input information about what games were reviewed in each magazine, help add redundant download links, etc...

This is a really big project, and will probably take 12-18 months after launching to get everything we want out of it. Anyways, I should get back to work on it....I will keep you guys posted.

• Retromags Curator

Thanks for the latest update Phillyman. Look forward to seeing the new and exciting changes. I appreciate all the time and hard work you are putting into this site and making it possible for us to relive our childhood. Keep up the great work. I've sent a donation via Paypal.

Thank you for the donation shinobi33, it is much appreciated! This new magazine database will be something that can be infinitely built on.....I am already thinking of using it to catalog what magazines E-day and I own between the two of us.....the possibilities are endless!

• Retromags Curator

I am sorry I am not able to help at the moment. We are currently trying to sell our house, and my computer is put away in storage. I have using the wife's laptop (although the Lenovo Yoga is pretty awesome).

I can probably help with the spreadsheet thing though. Message me and we can chat about it.

Just thought I'd say that I appreciate both you guys' work on this. I know it must be infuriating when some people ask what's the hold up in a demanding tone, but I'm glad you guys aren't like others who snap at them. :)

Yeah .... seen that over at my site because I was putting up too much Nintendo or Amiga content. Trying to hold a rational conversation with someone who at the end of the day is just a total prick tends to make one sink to their level in frustration. Now I simply delete crap like that. If it isn't polite conversation or positive comments/ feedback I don't want to know about it. I don't have a problem with people saying there is something wrong with a magazine scan or whatever but "you Australian Cunt" or "get a move on you freggin' Kiwi" aren't remotely constructive. At the end of the day site owners etc put up what they want, when they want ... end of story. Bitching about it certainly doesn't encourage you to go faster etc.

• Retromags Curator

All the files that are in my possession have been uploaded to RapidShare and Newsgroups. That is just over 900 magazines, guides and supplements. I will need to email our members and see if anyone can fill in the missing 200+ magazines that I don't have a copy of. But this is a good start to getting things back on track around here :)

• 2 weeks later...