Sign in to follow this  
RetroDefense

EGM #20 misprint?

RetroDefense    136

Hello everyone,

While indexing EGM #20 this evening (March 1991, Battletoads cover), I noticed my copy is missing pages 50-67! o_0

What's odd, I originally purchased this copy off the newsstand years ago, and I don't recall ever somehow losing pages since then.

I noticed the cover does reference some "New & Improved Atari Lynx" coverage on the cover, which probably fell within the missing content. So either a major blunder on EGM's part, or yeah, some bad luck on mine. :(

If you own this issue, could you take a moment to check your copy to see if yours is missing the same? I'm wondering if this was a page mis-numbering or misprint? Thank you!

RetroDefense    136

A quick follow-up. Looking at EGM #21, perhaps the notorious Atari Adventure insert found in this issue was originally intended for issue #20? It includes Lynx remodel coverage and closely matches the missing page count.

Wouldn't surprise me if EGM bumped the insert at the last minute, wanting to add insult-to-injury by complimenting it with a Cyberball cover.

E-Day    707

I've come across that kind of thing as well, in GamePro and EGM. Nothing was physically missing from the magazine, but the page count jumped. I just assumed they screwed up with their template, though an insert being cut or postponed seems like a good possibility.

RetroDefense    136

Yeah, after noticing how the issue #21 insert seems to fit the missing content in issue #20, I'm fairly certain this is what happened.

It wouldn't be the first time an early EGM issue made a page numbering mistake - their Table of Contents were almost always an exercise in frustration. :)

I have a synopsis ready for issue #20 - I'll add it to the database with a caveat pointing out the page numbering issue.