List of incomplete scans

E-Day

• Retromags Curator

This is a running list of scans that are incomplete for the following reasons:

• Page(s) missing
  • Page(s) damaged
  • Section cut out of page(s)
  • Overall quality issues

If you come across a magazine that has a problem, post it below and I will add it to this post.

The following list will be updated and edited as new problems are found and known problems are fixed. A exhaustively detailed list of EGM problems can be found in Sean697's thread here: https://community.retromags.com/topic/10120-egm-audit-thread-and-needed-corrections

Electronic Gaming Monthly Issue 56 March 1994 - missing pages 113 through 116.

Game Players Nintendo Guide Issue 2 (page 103 missing)

Game Players Nintendo Guide Issue 11 (page 70 clipped, pages 71-74 missing)

Game Player's Issue 21 (March 1991): Missing pages: 13-16, 43-44, 51-52, 55-58, and 91-94.

Game Players Issue 34 (page 66 clipped)

Game Player's Encyclopedia of Nintendo Games (April 1990) - missing page 148

Game Players 24 - incorrect pages 1,18

Game Players 19 - missing pages 19-24,29,30,39,40,57,58,83,84; clipped pages 73,74,93,94

Game Players 20 - missing pages 3,4,37,38

Game Player's Buyer's Guide to Nintendo Games Vol.2 No.5 (October/November 1989) - pages 113,114,127,128 clipped

GamePro Issue 17 (December 1990) - Missing Flying Warriors pull-out comic

Nintendo Power Issue 52 (page 35 missing)

Nintendo Power Issue 90 (Nov 1996) - missing poster

Nintendo Power Issue 25 - page 18 missing

Sega Visions #19 (June/July '94) - pages 3 & 4 are clipped

Team Sega Newsletter #7 (December 1989) - missing poster.

Expert Gamer 72 - Missing page 5/6 (Fred Durst in Marc Ecko ad, and the first half of Space Channel 5 ad).

Video Games & Computer Entertainment 50 (March 1993): 27.jpg - 30.jpg portions of pages cut out (two content pages, two advertisements)

Video Games & Computer Entertainment 14 (March 1990) - missing pages 10-18, 21,44

Videogaming Illustrated Issue 6 (June 1983) - missing back cover/inner back cover
Videogaming Illustrated Issue 10 (October 1983) - pages 14 and 15 are incorrect (from issue 5)

Atari Age #1 (May/June 82) missing pages:

• Page 3 - 'From the Editor' editorial (1/2, numbered in TOC)
  • Page 4- 'From the Editor' editorial (2/2, not numbered)
  • Page 9 - 'New Action Games!' - Atari Club (Yar's Revenge, Defender) advertisement
  • Page 12 - 'The Clubhouse Store'
  • Page 13 - Priority Order Form/Contest Entry Form (not numbered)
  • Page 14 - Atari Scavenger Hunt (order form reverse; numbered in TOC as 'Atari Age Contest')
  • return envelope

Atari Age #2 (July/August 82) missing pages:

• Page 5 - 'From the Editor' editorial (numbered in TOC)
  • Page 6 - 'Game Grams' reader mail (numbered in TOC)
  • Page 15 - Priority Order Form/Contest Entry Form (not numbered)
  • Page 16 - 'Atari Contest Page' (order form reverse; listed in TOC as 'Atari Age Contest')
  • return envelope

Atari Age #3 (September/October 82) missing pages (this issue may have been bundled with a (loose?) six-page "The Atari Club Christmas Catalog"):

• Order Form (not to be confused with the short order form included on page 14)
  • Atari Club advertisement (order form reverse; Christmas themed ad)
  • return envelope

Atari Age #4 (November/December 82) missing pages:

• Page 5 - 'Captain's Log' editorial/table of contents
  • Page 6 - 'Game Grams' reader mail
  • Page 17 - 'The Clubhouse Store' (2/2)
  • Priority Order Form/Contest Entry Form (assumed)
  • Atari Club advertisement? (assumed; order form reverse)
  • return envelope (assumed)

Atari Age #5 (January/February 83) missing pages:

• Contest Entry Form/Order Form
  • Atari Club advertisement (order form reverse)
  • return envelope

Atari Age #6 (March/April 83) missing pages:

• Page 15 - 'The Clubhouse Store' (2/2)
  • Contest Entry Form/Order Form
  • Atari Club branded, full-size Phoenix poster (= 4 pages)

• 2 weeks later...

Cool. I included both covers of Game Player's NG #2 (or at least what the database calls #2, I'd call it #3, but I'll save that for another topic). Don't know how you handle that, but it would be cool to see both covers in the same file.

Don't have that issue of EG. I don't go too crazy trying to get the pre-crash mags that are already scanned, and that one's on Digital Press:

http://www.digitpress.com/library/magazines/electronic_games/electronic_games.htm

Thanks, TheRedEye, for scanning the missing material, and to you too, E-Day, for putting it together!

I've noticed a couple of variant covers with early issues of GP. I'm guessing market testing. But like the numbering, I suppose this is a discussion for another topic. :)

My understanding is that they de-emphasized the word "Nintendo" on the covers because Nintendo threatened to sue.

This site is very lucky to have TheRedEye and E-Day contributing their skills and time - kudos to you both, guys! :)

Sorry about missing page 69 of GP 11 - that was my bad. I must've only had content pages on my mind when I pointed out the incomplete scan originally. I'll take better care in the future.

Looking forward to downloading the revised scans! :)

They will both go into the same file.

I like this idea. I hope the same is applied to other scans as well, as I've always had an interest in video game magazine variant covers. Especially those that were never announced or promoted as such.

And yes, this is both as niche as geeky as it sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Videogaming Illustrated Issue 6 (June 1983) - missing back cover/inner back cover

Nintendo Power Issue 90 (Nov 1996) - missing poster

I'm assuming the page scans on Digital Press for VG Illustrated aren't up to Retromags spec?

I don't have that issue but I have the one after, it has the same back cover but a different inside-back. Inside-back is an ad for River Raid, wouldn't be surprised if it's in other mags of the time.

I have a loose Wave Race 64 poster in my cop of NP #90, I'm assuming it's from that issue. I can scan that.

I'm assuming the page scans on Digital Press for VG Illustrated aren't up to Retromags spec?

I was thinking the same thing, but - and someone correct me if I'm wrong - gleaning content from other sites/scans seems to be frowned upon here at RetroMags?

Personally, I'm of the mindset that - with the collaborative goal of archiving these magazines for the sake of the (eventual) public domain - resources and progress, net wide, should be shared when necessary.

So while I can understand the technical reasons regarding "spec" and quality issues, these should be the only reasons not to update the scan, imo.

I have a loose Wave Race 64 poster in my cop of NP #90, I'm assuming it's from that issue. I can scan that.

Wave Race 64 is a featured game in NP #90, so this is a pretty safe bet. Thanks, TheRedEye! :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Retromags Curator

It is frowned upon simply because some people think they own the content they scan and are protective of it, even when you give them full credit. It's easier to have everything done within this site than to borrow other people's scans. The exception is if they come to us asking if we want to host it as well.

Opening post has been updated.

Re-reading my earlier post, it sounds as if I'm in favor of simply grabbing content from other sites to host here at RetroMags. Certainly not what I intended to imply. I definitely believe in credit where credit is due and properly contacting these sites/scanners beforehand.

I'm only suggesting RetroMags be open to accepting scans from other sources. Both by accepting requests and perhaps by making some requests of our own. :)

• Retromags Curator

Ah, fiddle sticks. I'll get that fixed today. In the meantime, I will remove the download link.

EDIT: Actually, I can't fix it since I don't have the original magazine anymore. I got rid of it months ago. I guess this one will have to go on the list. Damn!

• Like 1