List of incomplete scans

E-Day

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been reviewing RetroMags' Atari Age scans and found some hiccups, unfortunately. I don't own the original issues myself but when comparing scans from four different sources, I've noticed some missing content.

Some problems revolve around an issue's missing editorial and reader mail column. I'm speculating these may have been included loose with early issues. Perhaps someone with physical Atari Age magazines can clarify this.

Also, "returnables" are often missing. If you're not familiar, Atari Age was something of an Atari Club mail-order catalog masquerading as a magazine. So each issue included regular returnables to be mailed - a contest form, a mail-order form, and a return envelope. Obviously, a copy of Atari Age won't have these if they were used back in the day so they're often missing from scans.

(You can argue the contest and order forms (which shared a page) aren't required for a scan to be considered "complete." Fair enough, but the forms are often referenced by other pages throughout each mag so I like to consider 'em as part of the complete package. Early on, they were also considered part of an issue's page count. The return envelopes shared page real estate with an Atari Club advertisement of some kind although usually only repeated a promotion described elsewhere in the same issue.)

Sometimes, form/envelope content hasn't been confirmed via scans but is assumed based on numerous references throughout the issue.

So here's the breakdown of missing pages. Page numbers listed are either printed directly on-page or obvious thanks to the Table of Contents or when counted in sequence.

Atari Age #1 (May/June 82) missing pages:

• Page 3 - 'From the Editor' editorial (1/2, numbered in TOC)
  • Page 4- 'From the Editor' editorial (2/2, not numbered)
  • Page 9 - 'New Action Games!' - Atari Club (Yar's Revenge, Defender) advertisement
  • Page 12 - 'The Clubhouse Store'
  • Page 13 - Priority Order Form/Contest Entry Form (not numbered)
  • Page 14 - Atari Scavenger Hunt (order form reverse; numbered in TOC as 'Atari Age Contest')
  • return envelope

Atari Age #2 (July/August 82) missing pages:

• Page 5 - 'From the Editor' editorial (numbered in TOC)
  • Page 6 - 'Game Grams' reader mail (numbered in TOC)
  • Page 15 - Priority Order Form/Contest Entry Form (not numbered)
  • Page 16 - 'Atari Contest Page' (order form reverse; listed in TOC as 'Atari Age Contest')
  • return envelope

Atari Age #3 (September/October 82) missing pages:

• Order Form (not to be confused with the short order form included on page 14)
  • Atari Club advertisement (order form reverse; Christmas themed ad)
  • return envelope
  • "The Atari Club Christmas Catalog" supplement (six pages)

Atari Age #4 (November/December 82) missing pages:

• Page 5 - 'Captain's Log' editorial/table of contents
  • Page 6 - 'Game Grams' reader mail
  • Page 17 - 'The Clubhouse Store' (2/2)
  • Priority Order Form/Contest Entry Form (assumed)
  • Atari Club advertisement? (assumed; order form reverse)
  • return envelope (assumed)

Atari Age #5 (January/February 83) missing pages:

• Contest Entry Form/Order Form
  • Atari Club advertisement (order form reverse)
  • return envelope

Atari Age #6 (March/April 83) missing pages:

• Page 15 - 'The Clubhouse Store' (2/2)
  • Contest Entry Form/Order Form
  • Atari Club branded, full-size Phoenix poster (= 4 pages)
Edited by RetroDefense

• Retromags Curator

This isn't technically an incomplete scan but Game Players Sega Guide #12 is missing the RetroMags referral.

That's one of my releases too :(. I've updated my copy of the scan with the Thank you page, and will upload it to FileFactory and replace the links. Thanks for catching that!

I added your Atari Age finds to the opening post.

• 3 months later...

Nintendo Power #25- missing page 18.

got a friend to scan the missing page. hope it's helpful.

i formatted it as good as i could to fit into the current .cbr file:

016a_zps3jfhycfe.jpg

but i also uploaded a new version (renamed the jpgs and combined the page spreads into one file):

https://mega.co.nz/#!vUgnTTCT!BOg6d2Zr_Fc_97-uK-rORyqiVShjsg4kLopmsGISzL8

edit: looks like you'll have to copy and paste the link, as the exclamation mark ruins the clickability of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have this on hand with the missing pages:

Electronic Gaming Monthly Issue 56 March 1994 - missing pages 113 through 116.

I'd like to avoid debinding for only 4 pages, but I'm not sure what the demand is...

• Like 2

I have this on hand with the missing pages:

Electronic Gaming Monthly Issue 56 March 1994 - missing pages 113 through 116.

I'd like to avoid debinding for only 4 pages, but I'm not sure what the demand is...

I will absolutely edit them and add them to the scan. It's on my to do list. Just need 300 dpi or greater scan, (600 if you can). Use the descreen option if you have it on your scanner. Upload it for me, Dropbox free account can easily accommodate.

Can I ask what the content on the pages is? If there is enough border room depending on the content, it may be possible to scan by bending back the pages and pressing flat against the scanner.

Edited by Sean697
  • Like 1

Completion of the MK II special feature (113-115) followed by a one-page ad of the EGM & Hero Illustrated Super Tour '94.

I'll run it and upload tonight.

Awesome! Also forgot to mention Scanning to a Tiff is preferable for editing. It's larger but it's only a few pages.

I noticed someone flagged RetroMags' EGM #16 scan as missing pages 64 and 65.

I'm wondering if this is a page numbering mistake on the magazine's part or an actual archival error. I have a physical copy of this issue - once I manage to dig out my 'zines (still unpacking after a recent move) I'll give it a look and - if need be - scan the missing pages.

I noticed someone flagged RetroMags' EGM #16 scan as missing pages 64 and 65.

I'm wondering if this is a page numbering mistake on the magazine's part or an actual archival error. I have a physical copy of this issue - once I manage to dig out my 'zines (still unpacking after a recent move) I'll give it a look and - if need be - scan the missing pages.

Yes. I have a thread for every EGM thing here. https://community.retromags.com/topic/10120-egm-audit-thread-and-needed-corrections/#.V1ZR1ZBpZCk

Nice! That is a serious amount of audit work there. E-Day, you may want to add Sean697's audit thread link to this discussion's OP.

So I assume you added the note about the missing pages to the EGM #16 description? I've thought about doing the same with the Atari Age scans and really think it should be done for any incomplete archived scan, actually. These forum discussion threads are great for active editors but I expect content notices - up-front in the database and download sections - are a better way to notify visitors/downloaders and may generate more assistance in terms of donated issues for rescanning, missing content scans, etc. At the very least, a downloader will be informed as to the content hiccups they'll encounter.

It would just be a matter of remembering to remove content notices once a revised archive is online.

Nice! That is a serious amount of audit work there. E-Day, you may want to add Sean697's audit thread link to this discussion's OP.

So I assume you added the note about the missing pages to the EGM #16 description? I've thought about doing the same with the Atari Age scans and really think it should be done for any incomplete archived scan, actually. These forum discussion threads are great for active editors but I expect content notices - up-front in the database and download sections - are a better way to notify visitors/downloaders and may generate more assistance in terms of donated issues for rescanning, missing content scans, etc. At the very least, a downloader will be informed as to the content hiccups they'll encounter.

It would just be a matter of remembering to remove content notices once a revised archive is online.

I dont remember if I added that on EGM 16 or not. But I have in the past added something in the database page for a magazine regarding missing stuff. E-day and I also use the shout box and WIP threads to ask for assistance. But sometimes it takes awile to get an answer back. I decided to personally take on correcting the EGM stuff. Would be cool if people could choose a publication they could be responsible for and audit everything we have on it. Too much for one person to take on the whole site. But I have a pretty good handle on the what we need to fix for EGM and what is missing. Alot of alternate covers.

Was able to clarify the contents of Atari Age #3 (Sep/Oct 82) with some recent Ebay browsing. This and the Digital Press scan confirms the Christmas Catalog supplement currently missing from RetroMags' scan. I've updated my original post with the new info. E-Day, if you could do the same with the OP?

Atari Age (1982) v1n3 Christmas catalog supplement

Edited by RetroDefense

• 2 months later...