what is your reason for downloading magazine scans?

orthicviper

I do it for love and memories! I reminds me of the decades I lived in! It is like music during those times and movies that stays with you. As we all get older there is nostalgia and I will bet top dollar that all of us have cherished memory of reading some magazine here. The love of games is with us that are into this line of entertainment. My example is (please don't laugh) Drinking Crystal Clear pepsi (yes I liked it) with Van Halen, Red hot Chilli peppers wearing snow washed jeans.

Bought my first Die hard game fan, saw Batman Returns and Bram Stoker's Dracula playing Sonic 2, Taz Mania, lastly Mortal Kombat came home! If you can figure out what year that is your good! I could go on forever about the subject and come up with so many emotions that I felt getting an awesome game from what I read in the monthly's! Sorry if it sounds like gibberish but I do it for love and memories!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finding the really early gaming magazines fun to read because it was a completely new hobby for many people. It's also fun to skim and read magazines I had back in the day. I haven't seen them in many years. The best part about these is that I often come across games I've either forgotten about or never played that I might have a interest in.

• Like 1

All of the above. I still love and play classic games, I still have most of my old gaming magazines and worry about how long they'll keep, I love the convenience of having a decade's worth of digital classic gaming news, and I simply really, really enjoy seeing hundreds of Game Players, Nintendo Powers, EGMs, PSMs and Gamepros on the virtual shelf of my ebook reader app. :)

• Like 1

A couple of reasons.

Nostalgia is a big part. The PS1 era was my golden age of gaming.

The history is also interesting, having lived through this era, and now looking back with a fresh set of eyes knowing what the "future" holds.

I used to have boxes of these magazines, but had to throw them out during a difficult move, and I've regretted it ever since. So it's nice to get them back in some form.

Also, I still play a lot of these old games, and I use these magazines to evaluate old games I wanted play (and still do) but never got the chance at the time, and to discover games I missed and now want to catch up on (20 years later).

• Like 2

One big reason is nostalgia. I used to be an EGM subscriber. When I moved out of my mom's house at 18 I chucked them out. I really regret doing so, and it will be neat to be able to look through all then old issues I once had. Also I do a podcast with Ratguy and we are thinking of doing an episode all about the classic gaming mags. This is a great resource. Will surely give a shout out to the website!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My sis tossed my collection of 300+ mags 12 years ago and though I managed to save a scant few, the hole in my life left by their absence has never healed.  This site helps to ease that loss.  Plus, as I get older, it is much more fun to READ about the old games than it is to actually play them and it takes a lot less time to do so.  These scans spark areas of my brain that haven't lit up in years and once lit, I can vividly recall the circumstances, feelings, situations, and sometimes even the weather surrounding the arrival of a new issue of GamePro or EGM.  Ah, memories.  Those idyllic days are gone forever, but these mags are a key to their precious memory.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Preservation and nostalgia, of course. I'm sick and tired of people hoarding and purposefully making things rare by not digitizing some of this stuff. Many collectors are doing it for the money when things like this need to be preserved, not collected and sold.

A great example is the DVD version of Audioslave's self-titled 2002 album has never been digitally preserved and ripped to .flac format. It's 24bit 48kHz and apparently sounds really good, but society will never know because almost nobody has a copy of it to digitize. :(

Do you need a copy?  Are you looking for the album or a concert DVD of their 2002 album?

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I have been playing 80s and 90s Consoles(mainly NES) via RetroPie and where finding it tough to decide on games to play... so I had a thought, What if we played games recommended by magazines from the era.. so I set it up that every 3 months a new Year passes.. so in Real World months 1-3 we only have games available for NES from 1985 then months 4-6 we will have all the 1986 games as well.(just made a script copy the games using cron)

Then on the ipad we have GamePro, Nintendo Power, Nintendo Fun Club, Nintendo Power Flash, EGM Magazine , and a few other odds and ends so we can read about "upcoming games" and reviews etc as seen through the eyes of the people at the time.

Just need to find some better material for 1984(people anticipating release etc),1985 and 1986 after that there is lots of info... all we have to go on so far is early issues of some of the magazines mentioned above Looked back on already released titles.

So far we are in the begining of month 1... having a tough time finding launch game reviews etc from the time when we get to 1987 reviews are easy :P

• 1 month later...

I miss the overall vibe of the late 80s, 90s, and early 00s era of gaming. You go to a gaming community now and it's all extremely cynical, postmodern, self-aware, ironic detachment mixed with ideology and politics. But back then there was this sort of wonder and sincerity that is kind of gone now.