Incomplete Magazine Collections

Terry93D

I would like to point out that there are some missing issues for some magazine collections I have been indexing.

In particular, Atari Age is missing the first two issues - which took a newsletter/fanzine-like black-and-white format, as well as Big K, which ran for twelve issues, but shows only eight.

If anyone else has noticed missing issues, please point them out for the good Curators of this wonderful website. We must do all we can to make sure Retromags has a complete database!

Thank you for your time.

--Hunter Of Bugs

• Retromags Curator

That newsletter was a different publication from the Atari Age magazine. If you look at the cover of issue 1, you will see that iii is labeled as such on the cover. So while those newsletters are missing, they are not missing from the Atari Age run that we have currently.

Yeah, the Atari Age situation is similar to Electronic Games, imo. If indexed, it'd probably involve differentiating between the two, such as "Atari Age" and "Atari Age LC2."

This does bring up a question I've been meaning to ask, though. Does RetroMags intend to index all corp/professionally published newsletters (meaning, newsletters published by mag publishers, game developers & publishers, etc), or just newsletters that eventually "evolve" into magazines, like Nintendo Fun Club News?

That newsletter was a different publication from the Atari Age magazine. If you look at the cover of issue 1, you will see that iii is labeled as such on the cover. So while those newsletters are missing, they are not missing from the Atari Age run that we have currently.

I'll look at them again.

Yeah, the Atari Age situation is similar to Electronic Games, imo. If indexed, it'd probably involve differentiating between the two, such as "Atari Age" and "Atari Age LC2."

This does bring up a question I've been meaning to ask, though. Does RetroMags intend to index all corp/professionally published newsletters (meaning, newsletters published by mag publishers, game developers & publishers, etc), or just newsletters that eventually "evolve" into magazines, like Nintendo Fun Club News?

Well, we should. All professionally published newsletters or magazines ought to be indexed. That also brings up the question I so persistently, doggedly wonder about, of fanzines. We can't exactly put them in the Magazine database, and they don't belong in the strategy guide database, so wouldn't there have to be a Fanzine Database? I can help with the indexing on those (I have digital copies of several fanzines).

Well, we should. All professionally published newsletters or magazines ought to be indexed. That also brings up the question I so persistently, doggedly wonder about, of fanzines. We can't exactly put them in the Magazine database, and they don't belong in the strategy guide database, so wouldn't there have to be a Fanzine Database? I can help with the indexing on those (I have digital copies of several fanzines).

I agree RetroMags should catalog pro newsletters, especially considering they're more obscure than the traditional magazine, so archiving them digitally is very important. It's probably a matter of nailing down the publication schedules & histories first though. How many issues, etc. Again, a task made difficult because of their obscurity.

I would like to see fanzine newsletters eventually cataloged as well, but I don't know if the current database convention could be applied - fanzine publication schedules were often very sporadic and numbering/volumization was often inconsistent. Jokingly so, in many cases. :)

For that matter, I'd like to see general, misc. ephemera cataloged. Pamphlets, catalogs, etc. But I can understand why this would probably be considered scope creep.

I agree RetroMags should catalog pro newsletters, especially considering they're more obscure than the traditional magazine, so archiving them digitally is very important. It's probably a matter of nailing down the publication schedules & histories first though. How many issues, etc. Again, a task made difficult because of their obscurity.

I would like to see fanzine newsletters eventually cataloged as well, but I don't know if the current database convention could be applied - fanzine publication schedules were often very sporadic and numbering/volumization was often inconsistent. Jokingly so, in many cases. :)

For that matter, I'd like to see general, misc. ephemera cataloged. Pamphlets, catalogs, etc. But I can understand why this would probably be considered scope creep.

I might be able to obtain reliable and correct information on a number of fanzines, though I can't make guarantees for every fanzine on my list.