Status = Not Allowed?

phriq

Hello, I am new to the community but find what you are doing here awesome and want to help out. I have been purging my basement and have a massive amount of old gaming magazines (Game Informer, Computer Gaming World, Electronic Gaming Monthly, Games for Windows, Gamepro, etc.). I would ideally like to replace my physical issues with digital copies, however, for many of the magizines I see that there isn't a digital copy available. I would like to contribute by scanning these issues and submitting them to the site. However, when I go to the magazine issue I see the status is "Not Allowed".

I was curious if someone could explain to me more in depth the status's of magazines and what each status means. Does "Not Allowed" mean the magazine issue still falls under copyright regulation and therefore cannot be scanned?

• Retromags Curator

Welcome phriq!

For defunct magazines our cut off date is December 2004, however if a magazine is still being published......then that date is December 1999. In the case of Game Informer and GameFan, we have been asked to exclude those magazines from our preservation project. We will only provide covers of those magazines, and an outline of what each issue contained.

The UK section is still being filled out with dates, once the dates are in place....I can set the Allowed status on them.

-Robert

• Retromags Curator

If every issue of a magazine has this status, it means that we have been asked/told not to host their content on our site. Gamefan was the first to do this, and Game Informer asked us not to host their stuff late last year.

If it's later issues of a magazine, then it means they are too recent and are beyond our cut-off date.

Thank you so much guys for the thorough answers to my questions! I really appreciate it. As far as magazines published after December 2004, is there purpose to keeping these then? The cut off is roughly 10 years for discontinued mags and 15 for ones still in publication. Does this adjust to the right as time passes or are these dates pretty firm regardless? For example, if I have 2005 magazines, should I hold onto them for a year in hopes that they can be uploaded next year after 10 years has passed?

Thanks again for the responses. I can already tell this is a good community to be a part of!

Hi phriq - welcome to RetroMags! I'm relatively new here myself so Phillyman or E-Day could probably describe this in better detail, but yes, the cut off does move to the right as time passes.

Also, any magazines which do not qualify for preservation via the site currently - for reasons of cut off or exclusion request or what-have-you - are still very important, as a synopsis of the magazine can be helpful to researchers, hobbyists, and collectors who are curious as to the contents of the magazine.

• Retromags Curator

Welcome to Retromags, phriq! :)

Yes, by all means, hold on to your later magazines. Just because they can't be scanned for archival here yet doesn't mean you can't provide cover scans and indexing information on them (which is just as valuable). :)

We're glad to have you on board as a new member!

*huggles*
Areala

Thanks again for the replies. I was looking and it looks like a lot of the magazines I have don't have synopsises or anything like that. I will hold on to them and see what I can do to get some of them onto the site. Thanks again!

• 9 months later...

Hey guys, well, as Phyli explained, the date for defunct mags are 2004 issues, so, does that mean we can have newer issues of Nintendo Power ? assumed that they stoped publishing and we have only access to 2001 and older issues. And I have a question, I was on the EGM (USA) page and I saw a old mag "Not Allowed" and then I found a newer "Allowed" and preserved, I found 126-134 Not Allowed and then 135 is allowed. what does that mean ? Thanks and congs for the excellent work guys.

• Retromags Curator

It means that issue wasn't supposed to be marked as anything but preserved. While no download button was available, there was a link in one of the fields that could only be seen by me and Phillyman. The status is now set to Not Allowed like the rest of the newer issues.