The Perfect NES Clone

ctophil

Hi everybody,

If you are ever looking for a NES Clone that can output via RGB, HDMI, Component, or Composite (uses upscaling to look good on a High Def TV), native stereo sound, expansion port for Famicom Disk games & sound expansion (The Famicom had additional sound hardware for better music/sound effects, i.e. Castlevania III), support for 4 players, and play Famicom & NES game carts perfectly, then, I guess you should pick up the Analogue NT Console. It is the best NES Clone to date for a measly $500. :-) Who needs the Xbox ONE or PS4 when you can relive the NES time period in high def?

Check out its features: Analogue NT

Pre-order it: Release Date - Summer 2014

• Retromags Curator

*laugh* Good lord... Would you even WANT an NES that output at HDMI levels? Something tells me River City Ransom at 720p isn't going to look all that much better than River City Ransom at 256x240... :)

*huggles*
Areala

Well, there are a lot of folks out there who got rid of their "old fashioned" CRT Televisions. So, all they got is their fancy HDTVs. If they want to get the best possible picture from the NES without pixelation, then this Analogue NT is their best bet. Sprites do look awful on a high def TV. Polygons look a lot better when it is zoomed in and clear. But Sprites are an entirely different story. Upscaling allows Pixels (Sprites) to look crystal clear but not ugly.

Also, some folks are obsessed with the audio portion. The original model NES had RCA (composite) outputs as well. However, the sound was just mono unless you buy a cord that split the audio into left and right speakers. But even then, it was still mono. The Analogue NT can recreate stereo effects. Plus, the Famicom audio support is awesome. You haven't heard Castlevania III or Kid Icarus music until you try out the Famicom version.

I'd rather wait and see what the upcoming Retron 5 will deliver. Sounds very promising - HDMI out, support for numerous retro systems (NES/FC, SNES/SFC, Genesis/MegaDrive, GB/GBC/GBA - even SMS support with Power Base Converter or equivalent), original controller support, plus audio & video enhancements (including smoothing filters, scanline emulation, etc) And retailing for less than $150, last I heard.

I plan on buying one for the living room, but it won't be replacing my preferred CRT/original system setup anytime soon. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd rather wait and see what the upcoming Retron 5 will deliver. Sounds very promising - HDMI out, support for numerous retro systems (NES/FC, SNES/SFC, Genesis/MegaDrive, GB/GBC/GBA - even SMS support with Power Base Converter or equivalent), original controller support, plus audio & video enhancements (including smoothing filters, scanline emulation, etc) And retailing for less than $150, last I heard.

I plan on buying one for the living room, but it won't be replacing my preferred CRT/original system setup anytime soon. :)

That's cool. The Retron 5 has been delayed due to manufacturing issues since December 2013. So I wouldn't hold my breath. But it is a nice system when it comes out. Right now, I have a Retro gaming room and Modern gaming room. And my Retro one has a bunch of classic consoles hooked up to the same CRT TV. I'm out of room in the entertainment center. Although, I have a second CRT TV that I can hook consoles to it. So it would be nice to have a Retron 5 occupy one space, leaving the rest of my center to more retro systems.