So, I have the complete Japanese Official Sega Dreamcast Magazine

Cuckooguy

18 minutes ago, Cuckooguy said:

Just a heads up right now I'm leaning towards sending the whole shebang to KiwiArcader. Before that though, I'm thinking of getting about 120 plastic sleeves so that when it's debinded each magazine can at least be together in their own plastic sleeve.

question, though: will the pages actually be cut up, or is it only the staple that will be removed?

Okay. Things have taken a different turn from your original post where you stated that if the whole lot were shipped you would be okay letting them go.

I am super happy to scan and return the four issues you stated haven't been scanned previously. If they are stapled issues I can remove the staples and scan the two pages in one go as I have an A3 scanner. No problems there at all and you could possibly feed the staple back through or use new staples or get them re-stapled professionally.

If they are glue bound then I would have to cut the spine away which is messy depending on the glue excess which can cause knife slips etc (I'm not rich enough to afford a $400 Guillotine unfortunately) Those would be a pile of individual pages.

If you want the whole lot shipped back however, .... hell's teeth ..... that is some serious, serious costs right there ..... New Zealand Post ONLY ship airmail out of the country nowadays :blink:

3 minutes ago, KiwiArcader said:

If they are glue bound then I would have to cut the spine away which is messy depending on the glue excess which can cause knife slips etc (I'm not rich enough to afford a $400 Guillotine unfortunately) Those would be a pile of individual pages.

Have you ever tried a heat gun?  I find it quite easy, and aside from the first and last page of the magazine, almost no glue residue on any pages.  And a heat gun costs like $20.

Woah!!! That sounds like, burn the house down dangerous. How do you NOT toast the magazine to a crisp?

No, I don't own one of those but I'd look into it if it was safe. How long does it take to process an issue that way?

The only heat gun I'd be happy or comfortable with would be 

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/makita-heat-gun-50-600-degrees-celsius/p/124964

... which is way more than $20 but with the low heat settings would surely be less likely to scorch paper in my mind.

Edited by KiwiArcader

It takes about a minute or two to heat things up to the point that you can push the front cover away from the spine and the first page comes loose, and after that, the pages will pretty much peel away one after the other while keeping the heat gun waving back and forth across the gutter area.  I'd say...5 seconds per page?

So long as you keep the gun in motion and don't just leave it blasting at one spot on the page, the magazine is safe from discoloration or warping.  Of course, if you accidentally knock the heat gun over onto your carpet or something (like your lap:lol:) you could have a big problem.

I don't like cutting things with knives, and by not losing any of the gutter data, I can better reassemble two-page ads and the like.  But simply cutting the spine is possibly faster (definitely so if using a guillotine.)

The Japanese Dreamcast Magazine is staplebound

actually, I am and was always still ok with letting the collection go after I mailed it. I just wasn't sure what was going to happen to them AFTER they've all been scanned. If KiwiArcader is content in keeping the magazines indefinitely after sending them their way, that's totally fine, but if they were gonna throw it away after being scanned... I almost feel like we'd almost be losing a historic artifact if they were thrown away, which is why I suggested a video game museum after they were scanned.

Just now, Cuckooguy said:

The Japanese Dreamcast Magazine is staplebound

actually, I am and was always still ok with letting the collection go after I mailed it. I just wasn't sure what was going to happen to them AFTER they've all been scanned. If KiwiArcader is content in keeping the magazines indefinitely after sending them their way, that's totally fine, but if they were gonna throw it away after being scanned... I almost feel like we'd almost be losing a historic artifact if they were thrown away, which is why I suggested a video game museum after they were scanned.

LOL.  Kiwi throws his mags away after scanning.  So do I.  So does everyone except Philly, as far as I know.

I'll admit to feeling a pang of reluctance whenever I go to toss a scanned mag in the trash, but once it's done, I have no regrets.

Thank goodness they are staple bound. I was getting twitching in my privates at the thought of dropping a heatgun in my lap :blink:

While I personally throw away my magazines after scanning them I am more than happy to put these back in the boxes they were shipped in and put them in the basement. The Japanese mags are fantastic artwise so if I were to retain any mags at all it would likely be those.

Once we have good quality scans I see little point in storing Euro mags. And with two thousand mags in my basement there's literally a tonne of paper down there on my foundations that I am working on removing.

2000 mags in your basement?!?! What the heck!!! You don't think it'd be more imperative to scan the magazines in the basement that have never been archived than a magazine that has been archived (though in a quality lower than people here apparently want them to be o.O)?!?!

Anyway, I have about a dozen Japanese Nintendo Dream magazines that you can scan if you want, which are glue bound. I don't mind these being thrown away except two specific issues, if you'd like to scan those at all.

Don't worry. I'm really ancient so multitudes are Amiga/Commodore/Amstrad/multi-format mags from the 1980's of which large swathes of them have already been scanned but are terrible quality scans so they are there to make newer/better digital files at some point.

Most of the magazines I am scanning at present, well, when I get my website back up 100% again after I decided on a newer platform because kitsunebi77 was sad at the previous version (I have to admit PHP-Fusion turned out to be pretty crap), are indeed never previously scanned titles.

2 minutes ago, KiwiArcader said:

Most of the magazines I am scanning at present, well, when I get my website back up 100% again after I decided on a newer platform because kitsunebi77 was sad at the previous version (I have to admit PHP-Fusion turned out to be pretty crap), are indeed never previously scanned titles.

Wow, you revamp your entire website because I'm sad... earlier today Philly preps 30 PC gaming mags for scanning because I'm sad...

I'm gonna have to be sad about stuff more often!

*ahem* :cry::cry::cry:WHY oh why can't anybody obtain/scan/give me all the missing issues of Game Players PC and PC Gamer?  CAN'T YOU SEE I'M SO SAD??:cry::cry::cry:

• 2 weeks later...

Just giving an update. Right now I've been going through each magazine one by one since this is likely the last time I'll be able to personally do this, but I found out two of the issues have demo discs that I never sent to a game dumper. After I get these dumped, my plan is still to mail them all to Kiwi.

I also have Nintendo Dream 83-105 too that I would also like to send as I would also like those scanned if possible.

Also, if possible, I have 4 Japanese Skies of Arcadia strategy guides I would also like to have scanned.  You don't have to edit these for PDF format if you don't have the time as I know enough about image editing to do that myself, but is it ok if I also send those your way to have scanned? I can debind those with a clothe iron myself since cutting them with a knife may ruin the scan quality...