Question on missing magazines

JohnSmith

I've been looking to get into the whole scanning business, because I find it to be a great resource and I grew up reading these magazines.

I've already started buying some of the magazines that are missing from ebay that I found for cheap, and while I was putting together a list for items that needed it, I seemed to come across something I was wondering about. Do a lot of these magazines already exist in the hands of scanners on this site and they just haven't been converted yet? I was looking at the second run of Electronic Games/Fusion/Intelligent Gamer's Fusion/Intelligent Gamers magazine and saw they there were many high quality scans of just the covers of these magazines.

I'm interested in bringing scans of these to the archive, but my question is is it worth spending a couple of hundred bucks on ebay when someone already has these in their collection? Do they not want to debind the magazines or is it just work that might take years to get around to?

The magazines that I'm most interested in are Game Players, Next Generation and Electionic Games family. I already bought some, but I'm no where near close to getting what's needed to complete the gallery. I just wondered if I should be bothering or not.

Hi JohnSmith,

Welcome to RetroMags! :)

I'm (relatively) new here myself, so I'm not sure if there's a formal process for scanners and their queues.

(As an aside, maybe a formal work queue isn't such a bad idea? Scanners could list their queues to avoid scanning conflicts, unnecessary purchases, etc, in an easily referenced, centralized location.)

Your best option may be to start a "Work in progress" thread and announce what you're planning to scan, then wait a while to see if anyone chimes in. Not that this helps much when making Ebay purchases.

I would also recommend contacting some veteran scanners here (E-Day and Phillyman, for two) for their help in ensuring your scans meet RetroMags standards. The goal is to preserve these magazines as best as possible, so you can understand why there are certain guidelines to follow. :) I would highly recommend a "test run" of a few pages and have them reviewed by the senior staff before scanning a full magazine.

Cheers.

This is the first magazine that I have scanned. I'm putting everything I scan on archive.org, as I find their downloading to be much easier than this sites. That said, I'm fine for everything that I scan to be hosted here as well. I'm primarily working on scans of things that aren't hosted on either site, so I know that this is all stuff that's needed:

https://archive.org/details/Electronic-Games-1993-06

The CBR file link is in the description field.

I bought a bunch of magazine lots on ebay, so I have plenty to work with for a good while. I'm focusing on Next Generation, Electronic Gamer and Game Players magazines. I'll probably start a dedicated thread with my progress and links to the CBR files as I go.

• Retromags Curator

Phillyman owns a ton of magazines, but rarely scans anything. As of right now, before you showed up, I was the only one scanning magazines, and currently I only have a few issues left to scan, and nothing that you listed. So you can pretty much scan anything at the moment and not worry about duplicating someone else's work.