JohnSmith's work in progress

JohnSmith

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This is an issue that I had scanned earlier, only to realize that a scan already was uploaded. I was going to shelve it, but when I compared the quality of mine to the one available, I noticed how bad the previous scan's quality was. It's too bad that most people avoid scanning anything that's already available, but some of those early scans are of noticeably low quality.

Next Generation Issue 21 Setpember 1996

Next Generation, September 1996

Infopage - https://archive.org/details/Next-Generation-1996-09

CBR file - https://ia601406.us.archive.org/6/items/Next-Generation-1996-09/Next%20Generation%201996-09.cbr

Indeed they are. There weren't many quality requirements in the beginning and a lot of scans were raw scans, or low resolution, or at 300DPI but then scaled down to pages sizes of 1280 width etc so there's definitely a place for better quality scans. I'd say "need" but for some people low res is better than nothing and more than enough and they are happy with that. At the end of the day it usually boils down to whether someone else has a copy of the magazine and is prepared to do the work. That isn't many experience tells us.....

I hope you replace the current one. I was reading that one before I sent it off and that was a great issue. And in good condition. If only because to read what was considered the top games of all time mid 90's. I really enjoyed that one. And the follow up later the top multiplayer games of all time.

• Retromags Curator

Just because something exists, does not mean we should ever exclude it from being improved on. This not only goes for the preservation of magazines, but also the magazine indexes and gallery covers. Personally I want to start redoing the early Nintendo Power issues that were edited by KMFDManiac back in 2005. We should always try to preserve these magazines to the standard they deserve. One of these days I am going to go through the gallery covers and start replacing out the ones that have address labels attached. But by all means, if your scan is of a higher quality, we will use your scan :)

Just because something exists, does not mean we should ever exclude it from being improved on. This not only goes for the preservation of magazines, but also the magazine indexes and gallery covers. Personally I want to start redoing the early Nintendo Power issues that were edited by KMFDManiac back in 2005. We should always try to preserve these magazines to the standard they deserve. One of these days I am going to go through the gallery covers and start replacing out the ones that have address labels attached. But by all means, if your scan is of a higher quality, we will use your scan :)

I've been planning to do the same - replacing some gallery covers with label-less scans. I have several, I'm sure - just a matter of having the time to dig into my boxes sometime. :)

I wonder if it's viable to put together a list of re-scan candidates? Not just mags that require a correction of some kind (missing pages, etc), but that are generally lower in quality than what RetroMags aspires to. Site veterans are probably best equipped to deal with this - knowing where scan archives were obtained, etc. Or maybe archived zines scanned by RetroMag staffers can be "Retromags Certified" or some such, so downloaders will know there's a certain level of scan quality they can expect.

Just thinking out loud. :)

Thanks again, JohnSmith, for all of the Electronic Games and Next Generation scanning lately. Great to see some of my favorite mags finally archived!

• Retromags Curator

I would venture to say that everything that was saved as 1280 pixels wide or 1440 pixels wide could use an upgrade. Back then everyone was looking at them on their regular monitors. Now we have screens and tablets with ridiculous pixel density. Several years ago I started doing everything at 1600 pixels wide.

Nowadays I do everything at 2100 tall, as well as saving a full sized scan at the same time. That way if we ever want to replace those scans with full size ones, they are already done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you think I could get a front page mention for the last Electronic Games I scanned?

And I just wanted to let everyone to know that an ebayer named golfinelle just put up a bunch of rare Electronic Games issues:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Games-Magazine-May-1995-Featuring-Donkey-Kong-Generations-/171705683223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fa74cd17

They being sold one at a time, but he's got quite a few. I'm going to be bidding on them, just for scanning someday. It'd be nice to not have cross-bidding going on, since I imagine most people who care frequent this site.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I made a scan of the Final Fantasy VII Versus strategy guide, which you can see here:

https://archive.org/details/Final-Fantasy-VII-Versus-Guide

sVDnDow.jpg

It's a very well regarded and expensive guide, so it was a goal of mine to make a free scan of it.

Right now, there's no place for this, as the Versus strategy guide section is empty on the site. I have two other versus guides that I previously uploaded to archive.org, the Resident Evil 2 & 3 guides, which are also not hosted on this site yet. I don't have the ability to add them, so someone else would have to make listings for them.

• Like 1