Upcoming Change: Magazine Listing View

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Hopefully within the next two weeks I will have a much needed change in place for the magazine database. Viewing video game magazines in a "list" view is not the way I want to display our records. So I will be changing them from this.....

Example1.png

to this....

Example2.png

Will see if we can make the "Status" field change colors depending on the status. Example...

Green = Preserved

Yellow = Being Scanned

Red = Not Allowed

etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Viewing the covers is nice, but as of yet there doesn't seem to be a way to know if the mag can be downloaded except by clicking on each individual issue. Considering what a small percentage of the mags listed on the site are actually downloadable, discovering them is extremely time consuming. Is there any way to browse only magazines which have download links?

• Retromags Curator

Viewing the covers is nice, but as of yet there doesn't seem to be a way to know if the mag can be downloaded except by clicking on each individual issue. Considering what a small percentage of the mags listed on the site are actually downloadable, discovering them is extremely time consuming. Is there any way to browse only magazines which have download links?

I can whip up something simple tonight. Just have it flat list anything that has a download link. I want to create a database tool that can let our members do their own searches against the database. It would have two drop down boxes......

Show me {DropDown1} magazines that are {DropDown2}

First Drop down box would be all of the magazine categories, second one would be a conditional clause. For example......

• Show me Nintendo Power Magazines that are Missing Covers
  • Show me GamePro Magazines that are Preserved
  • Show me Sega Vision Magazines that are Missing a Synopsis
  • Show me EGM Magazines that are Not Yet Scanned

etc..

That would be awesome!

I found that I could search downloads by year and get a list of magazines from that year with download links, but the links to the issues that show up in the search are all broken, so I would then have to navigate to the issue in question via the "magazines" tab. Less time-consuming, but still a hassle.

I own a ton of older computer and video game mags, but unfortunately they're all locked up in storage (in another country, no less), so I can't currently access them. I've been trying to recreate (and expand) my collection digitally, but so many of the mags I own don't seem to be available anywhere.

• Retromags Curator

That would be awesome!

I found that I could search downloads by year and get a list of magazines from that year with download links, but the links to the issues that show up in the search are all broken, so I would then have to navigate to the issue in question via the "magazines" tab. Less time-consuming, but still a hassle.

Here is a rough draft, I will see if I can make the list click able.

http://www.retromags.com/downloadable_magazines.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

Just an update, yes we now have the magazines displaying with their cover images and color coded statuses :Yahooo:

Next up is doing the exact same for the Strategy Guides, and I am also working to try to get the "Downloadable Magazines" page to come back in a similar format. I think rather than have the status field, I will have the scanner's name under the date.