Actor Robin Williams Dead at 63

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

What a loss the world has suffered tonight, let us take a moment to remember the legend.

Oscar-winning actor and comedian Robin Williams apparently took his own life at his Northern California home Monday, law enforcement officials said. Williams was 63.

"He has been battling severe depression of late," his media representative Mara Buxbaum told CNN. "This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time."

Coroner investigators suspect "the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia," according to a statement from the Marin County, California, Sheriff's Office.

Williams married graphic designer Susan Schneider in Napa Valley, California, ceremony in October 2011. Schneider sent a written statement to CNN through the representative.

Got to love anyone who names their daughter after The Legend of Zelda.

Just heard about this and its really sad. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

I used to love watching him in "Mork and Mindy" as a kid and really liked a lot of his performances in many of his movies, particularly "Insomnia" and "One Hour Photo".

A great stand up comedian and actor, he will be missed.

Yes, Robin Williams is one of my favorite actors. He was so awesome in Mrs. Doubtfire! I heard from the news that he was fighting depression and early signs of Parkinson's Disease for a while now. This is probably why he committed suicide (hung himself with a belt). My love goes to his family and friends. Because the surviving family members and closed ones are who need help the most to deal with the grief. The one who passed away just needs to go to the right place in his consciousness. The rest we leave to God. Either way, my prayers be with Mr. Robin Williams and all his closest loved ones.

• 5 months later...

I remember when I heard this I couldn't believe it. So many comedians, specially the best ones, end up dying from broken hearts because they are so depressed but they are great at hiding it from the world. I think from his heart surgery, it did him in. I always hear of major depression happening to people after major heart surgery.