The "New" Nintendo 3DS

• Retromags Curator

After reading about the New Nintendo 3DS (that is the current name), I am excited about it. However, I think the current name is terrible. Super Nintendo 3DS or something makes it more clear that it's a significant upgrade instead of a 100% compatible model like the 2DS.

What are others thoughts on the announcement?

Eh, I think Nintendo is nuts with all those variations of 3DS. Let's see, you got the original Nintendo 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, and now New 3DS. If I wasn't a hardcore gamer, I would be so confused. It's like trying to pick a cereal box at the grocery store. I honestly feel sorry for the folks who already bought a 3DS system; because they are going to be in the dark when they find out that some games will only work on the New 3DS. It just sounds like they are trying to target different types of consumers with the different models.

Personally, I will buy the New 3DS because it's got the best of all the other models. I guess the positive side is Nintendo finally got it right with all their experiments. Good things come to those who wait. :-)

ugh is all i can say.

people were already confused about the DS/DSi/DSLite/3DS/3DSXL/2DS deal. why are they making more variations? if it's a significant improvement, it's time to start over with the naming scheme. if it's not a significant improvement, hold off until it is.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading about the New Nintendo 3DS (that is the current name), I am excited about it. However, I think the current name is terrible. Super Nintendo 3DS or something makes it more clear that it's a significant upgrade instead of a 100% compatible model like the 2DS.

What are others thoughts on the announcement?

Yeah, it's still way early - NOA has yet to even announce this for a NA release, after all - but this looks to be a marketing nightmare if they follow Japan's lead.

Super 3DS, 3DS II - anything but New 3DS. The name just doesn't sell this as being a new system with backwards compatibility. Instead, it sounds like another iteration of today's 3DS. It's sure to cause confusion and frustration if the name is carried over stateside.

You already see this with gamer commentary 'round the 'net. Instead of the usual excitement which comes with new hardware capable of playing an all-new grade of software, I've heard mostly frustration over having to buy a new 3DS for the new features and how current 3DS systems soon won't be able to play all 3DS games. It's as if Nintendo's current marketing message is ass-backwards.

NES, then SNES. Game Boy, then Game Boy Color. These names better emphasized the improvements and changes. New 3DS sounds like a simple remodel.

• 4 months later...

It's compatible with chargers as far back as the DSi XL, I believe. Which is Nintendo's (rather poor) explanation as to why a charger isn't included.

Shame they stuck with the "New 3DS" name. That kind of thing is always confusing to casual gamers. The tacky box design for the standard editions may help, though - really goes out of its way to spotlight all of the updates.