Publication and Video Game Databases Now Open!

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Retromags

Publication Database & Video Game Database

Now Open!

As part of the Retromags 2.0 redesign, we have now opened up the Publication Database and the Video Game Database. The Publication Database is where you will find information about magazines like Nintendo Power, EGM, GamePro and many others. Where the Magazine Database covers the specifics of each issue, the Publication Database will cover the history and information about the magazine as a whole. Our Video Game Database is something I have wanted to do for a very long time. Retromags will now have our own game database that will eventually hold every single video game ever released. The Video Game Database will give us a home to attach our video game adverts to. In the near future you will be able to add review scores to each of the video game records. What did EGM think of Mortal Kombat? What did GamePro rate Super Mario 64 back in 1996? We aim to provide a comprehensive database to give you a glimpse into the past.

Publication Database - Video Game Database

• Like 3

• Retromags Curator

I am just one man with a dream, you guys help me make it a reality. Feel free to start adding information into the video game database. This guy on Youtube has a ton of gameplay videos....

https://www.youtube.com/user/cubex55/playlists

When linking Youtube Videos, you only need the end part of the urls....

Example

You would only need to enter....

QmrQkQsM9FU

With the description fields on the games, you can be creative and write your own synopsis. Or you can Google search the box art for that game and copy the text from the back. There are quite a few sites that should have box art translations that can be used. Last thing is that right now I am only pulling in USA games, I will move onto the others soon enough :)

• Like 2

• Retromags Curator

Thanks for putting these dbases together, Phillyman. The publications dbase is a pleasant surprise - I didn't know you were working on that. :) It's really nice to see that kind of info up front instead of kinda buried in the magazine dbase.

Thanks again for all the hard work!

We are progressing very nicely :) I am importing hundreds of video games into the game database daily, and I plan to import all the UK magazines into the publication database later this week. I will pretty up the system next, taking it from a list format into a thumbnail format. The game database will display box art thumbnails and the publication database will display the first issue of each publication. I know I have taken a while to bring everything up, but I am a measure twice, cut once type of guy. The last thing I want to do is release a system and have you guys work on adding information to it......only to change the system down the road.

After I get done the initial flood of video games into the game database, I will give our moderators the ability to add games. That way if I missed a game, it can be added by any of us. The hardest part of this is finding complete lists of video games from the USA, and then going through and fixing titles to be a bit more proper.

Example

The Legend of Zelda

Should actually be....

Legend of Zelda, The

For proper sorting :) Oh well back to work!

• Like 1

Neat! I'll definitely being doing a spot of work here. Right now I'm going to be working on a history of Sega Visions - I mean no offence, but the history that is there (which I've seen on a website titled gamingmagz.com) is poor, lacking in detail, and in a few places, inaccurate.

Update: The history of Sega Visions on Retromags can be found here, as written by yours truly.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Neat! I'll definitely being doing a spot of work here. Right now I'm going to be working on a history of Sega Visions - I mean no offence, but the history that is there (which I've seen on a website titled gamingmagz.com) is poor, lacking in detail, and in a few places, inaccurate.

Update: The history of Sega Visions on Retromags can be found here, as written by yours truly.

GamingMagz is also owned by me :)

The information for the Sega Visions wiki came from a site that no longer exists any longer (Magweasel). Kevin gave us permission to use his excerpts over here, they are meant as starting points....and should be added to and refined. Thanks for the updated info HunterOfBugs. :)

GamingMagz is also owned by me :)

The information for the Sega Visions wiki came from a site that no longer exists any longer (Magweasel). Kevin gave us permission to use his excerpts over here, they are meant as starting points....and should be added to and refined. Thanks for the updated info HunterOfBugs. :)

Happy to help :D

Damn, HoB, that's some impressive work! Thanks for writing that up! :)

*huggles*

Areala

Yep! Plenty of sources, so I gave them credit. Wonderful site, Sega-16, for such a good history of Sega Visions. I was actually contemplating just copy-and-pasting it, but that would be blatant plagiarism. Thank the gods for the Internet. I'm hoping to do a few more magazines histories - in particular, a wonderful British magazine from the incredibly obscure Rapide Publishing called TOTAL CONTROL. There's virtually no information on the 'Net for it, but I'm scouring it for whatever I can find to come up with as good a history as I can, though it will still be pretty sparse. You could say the same for Rapide Publishing. Virtually nothing on the 'Net about it!