Sign in to follow this  
E-Day

New Release: Electronic Game Player Issue 1 (January/February 1988)

Also was this the precursor to EGM? I notice the U.S. national video game team mention in the cover and knew they had a small run of issues with Steve Harris before formally launching EGM.

what is this ?

This is the (stupidly rare) precursor to Electronic Gaming Monthly. It has the same staff, same columns, same everything. It ran for four issues before they reset and launched EGM.

It's historically important for being the first multiplatform console magazine in United States to launch after the video game crash wiped them all out in the mid-80s (only Fun Club News predates it, and that's Nintendo marketing, not really a magazine).

I don't think distribution was very high, I only know of about three copies of this issue existing. I'm missing issue 2, but thankfully Kevin Gifford's copy is at The Strong, so it's accessible.

• Like 1

Awesome. Does that mean the Redeye is going to open the gates on some of his awesome collection? I sure hope so!

My gates have always been open to come to my house and scan away, but I don't have time to scan magazines myself. This only got scanned because of the holiday break.

Actually I originally scanned the undistributed April, 1999 issue of GameFan (only one verified copy in the world right now) without realizing RM had some kinda agreement with Halverson, so I'm posting it somewhere else I guess.

• Like 1

My gates have always been open to come to my house and scan away, but I don't have time to scan magazines myself. This only got scanned because of the holiday break.

Actually I originally scanned the undistributed April, 1999 issue of GameFan (only one verified copy in the world right now) without realizing RM had some kinda agreement with Halverson, so I'm posting it somewhere else I guess.

You are a saint even making this available. Ya if I didn't live in Hawaii, I might even take you up on that, just to see in person your amazing collection of retro stuff.