RetroDefense

RetroDefense's Work In Progress

Hello all,

My posts have seemed kind of nit-picky recently (missing magazines, missing scans, etc) so here's something a bit more positive. :)

On deck to be preserved, Turbo Force #3 (January 1993):

post-18528-0-87558100-1421603515.jpg

If all goes well I'll be scanning more saddle-stitched magazines in the coming months. Perhaps with a focus on Video Games & Computer Entertainment but I'll likely mix things up to keep things interesting. I'll have a better idea once I have an opportunity to dig into my collection.

Cheers,

RetroDefense

• Like 3

Thanks Areala - the Turbografx line is often under-rated so was glad to preserve some coverage from back in the day.

Took me a little longer than expected but I think I've worked out all the kinks. If this issue of Turbo Force is approved by the curators I'll probably tackle an issue of Mega Play next. Or maybe jump straight into some VG&CE.

With this scan of Turbo Force issue #3, all four issues are now archived here at RetroMags. Always nice to have a complete run. :)

Can't wait for the PSM issue! It's an interesting magazine. Hope to see some VG&CE next (especially because some of the issues have a Fanzine section, and video game fanzines are seldom mentioned on the Internet save for Digital Press).

I do plan to get to VG&CE eventually but need to rearrange my home office a bit. Currently dealing with a lack of desk space.

Digital Press was one of the greats back in the day - Joe Santulli and friends really knew their stuff. Still do, apparently - the website and game store are still going strong.

I ran across a partial archive of Paradox a good while ago. Not sure who maintains it, though. And Jess Ragan's OnFile is still online but hasn't been updated in a very long time.

But yeah - as you say - "seldom mentioned." Who knows - perhaps RetroMags will introduce a fanzine section someday. :)

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the Turbo Force issue above. It includes a two-page feature spotlighting the fanzine scene. One reason why I wanted to preserve it, actually. :)

• Like 1

PSM #55 completed - just waiting for my Internet service to improve to the point where I can actually upload it. *grumble*

Next up to be preserved, Team Sega Newsletter #7 (December '89):

Team Sega Newsletter Issue 7 (December 1989)

I have a few VG&CE issues I can upload for you, if you'd rather edit those than Next Generation!

If you have any issues of VG&CE not already preserved, go ahead and upload 'em! :) My eventual VG&CE scans are going to take some extra time & work as I won't be debinding the issues, so any you can add to the archive, the better. The Team Sega Newsletter issue is something of a test run for my future VG&CE scans, actually.

I'm committed to editing those three Next Generation issues and will probably edit more of your scans eventually. Especially VG&CE and NG, as those are some of my favorite 'zines and I'm glad to see them preserved. You'll find I like to jump around just so I don't get bored with any one thing, though. One day I'll be scanning, the next indexing, or editing, or working with cover galleries, or posting about missing mags, etc.

E-Day, it's a short magazine so shouldn't take long! :)

• Like 1

I really hope somebody has VG&CE issue 2 / February 1989.

jsVVCXy.jpg

If I am remembering correctly this issue has a review of the original Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System.

I just de-stapled it this afternoon. :)

• Like 1

Indeed Mark, it was a total blast seeing VG&CE #2 again.

But I was wrong, the Phantasy Star review was actually in the August 1989 issue (thanks to the info on it).

Umbve1z.jpg

My memory is failing me, lol. One day I'll see that nice Genesis preview in that issue as well.

• Like 2

An edited Video Games & Computer Entertainment #2 (February 1989) is preserved and ready for download/mirroring.

https://archive.org/details/vgce_02

I'm only responsible for the editing on this one - thanks to RetroMags' own marktrade for all of the scan work! (If you'd like to help with his backlog of unedited magazines, please check out his Work In Progress discussion.)

• Like 2

The Team Sega Newsletter #7 (December 1989) is preserved and ready for download/mirroring.

https://archive.org/details/tsn_007

Sorry, this magazine scan doesn't include the Altered Beast poster. Not a huge deal, really - the poster wasn't unique to the magazine and is fairly common. It was included with a Genesis game or two, if I recall - maybe with the original release of Altered Beast? It features Genesis Altered Beast artwork on the front, a "Your World Will Never Be The Same" advertisement on the back.

Here's a visual aid.

• Like 1

On deck to be preserved: EG's Complete Guide To Mortal Kombat II. This was originally released as a supplement to Electronic Games Issue 20 (May 1994).

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Phillyman
      Next Generation Issue 020 August 1996
      COMPLETED!
      ETA = June 14/15 2007

• By kitsunebi77
      I feel kind of dumb starting one of these threads. I doubt there's going to be a lot of overlap with what I scan and other people's collections, so it shouldn't be necessary to make my progress known to anyone.

However, I figured this would be a good place for me to ask some questions to more experienced members.

1st: I just uploaded my scan of Famitsu 158 here:

https://mega.nz/#!FA5DCYwS!Y1zBRmvWZQPq9AbWrmL9-VMLkWHUpcIAkZWc5MYHoIY and added the download link to the database page. However, I don't see any download link. Is that something someone else has to approve before it shows up? (edit: I accidentally posted a link requiring a key at first. I replaced it with an unrestricted link, but it still doesn't show up on the database page)

2nd: related to the first, how does one go about posting an uploaded mag in the new releases category? The Famitsu database is 60 pages long. Without a new release post or a listing in the download section (yeah, how about that?), no one is ever gonna stumble across my user link by browsing through 60 pages of mostly (for now) blank entries.

3rd: This relates to my scan of Famitsu #1 which I haven't uploaded yet. I want some opinions first: The original mag sells for hundreds of dollars (or, like the last time I saw it, in a 1400 issue collection for $25,000 lol). So scanning the original is not gonna happen. I bought a reproduction of the first issue. It's identical except for a gray border on the pages where there are occasionally notes of interest about the contents of the page. The reprint is half the physical dimensions of the real mag, but when scanning at 600dpi, it isn't really that big of a problem (although the actual printing quality might be a bit hurt because of it.) At any rate, I figure it's the best we'll ever have of a historically important issue.

Here's my problem/question: The cover of the reproduction is in bad shape. Not torn, but very faded and with some water damage. It was not the sort of thing fixable by mere clone stamping. For my own personal satisfaction, I created a nicer looking cover by repainting it (the cartoon graphics are very simple with no shading or gradients, so filling in solid colors works just fine). There's still some spaces around the Japanese text where the paint can't fix it, but overall it's far more pleasant to look at. Of course, it isn't an authentic representation of what was scanned (but then neither is using clone stamp or whatever to repair damage or blemishes.) For that reason, I also include the actual scanned cover as the page following the repainted cover.

When I upload it, should I leave the nice cover out or keep them both? Opinions? Hopefully the scan of 158 I linked to above shows what my scans will look like from now on. Issue 1 suffers in qulity a bit due to issues out of my control, but I'd like it to be presented as best as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice!
    • By Sean697
      So I decided to help get our EGM collection complete, I acquired a lot of stuff and sent a lot to E-Day. But I am going to try and scan some of this stuff myself. And try my hand at editing. I purchased a Canon LiDE 220 scanner. It doesn't have a huge bed. But big enough for magazines.mbut it outputs excellent color and is fast. Uses LED lamp so no warmup times.
      My first issue I'm scanning is EGM 07 the Top Score issue with the codes. I've completed scanning. Now on to editing. I've messed around a it and found straightening and cropping to be pretty fast. And the clone stamp has been working well for fixing blemishes. The colors came out so good I'm not sure if I'll have to color correct much if at all. I'll probrably go through and crop and fix blemishes and straighten first. Then I'll post some images here to get some opinions on color correction options and contrast adjustments before app,using them. Any advice on Photoshop corrections would be appreciated ahead of time to get me started. Or just wait till I post some screenshots and give me some feed back.
      I'm scanning in 500 dpi because it's fairly quick with this scanner. When I'm done editing I plan to resize the images to 1600 pixels wide. Is this still a good standard to use. Should I do more or less. Files sizes maybe could get bigger with the times. But let me know what the site still reccomend and I'll go with that.
    • By amorri40
      I have listed these here in the hope that some kind soul has the time and patience to edit these (cropping etc) as I sadly don't have the time at the moment.

Note that you will need to click the download pdf button as the quality is much higher in the pdf than the pages you can see on the site.

Total Control 01
      The cover needs re-scanned as my scanner doesn't support the shiny silver:
      http://read.oldgamemags.com/Ali/Needs%20Edit/Total%20Control/Total%20Control%2001%20(Publisher).pdf/#page/2 

PC Gamer (2002-Xmas) 117 (Future)
      http://read.oldgamemags.com/Ali/Needs%20Edit/PCGamer/PC%20Gamer%20(2002-Xmas)%20117%20(Future).pdf/#page/2

PC Gamer (2003-02) 119 (Future)
      http://read.oldgamemags.com/Ali/Needs%20Edit/PCGamer/PC%20Gamer%20(2003-02)%20119%20(Future).pdf/

PC Gamer (2004-07) 137 (Future)
      http://read.oldgamemags.com/Ali/Needs%20Edit/PCGamer/PC%20Gamer%20(2004-07)%20137%20(Future).pdf/

I will update this as I scan more
    • By E-Day
      I am going to attempt to use my old, slow flatbed scanner to scan:

GamePro Issue 90 (labeled 100) January 1997. I'm not sure how it will turn out - if it turns out - but we'll see!