RetroDefense's Work In Progress

RetroDefense

Hello all,

My posts have seemed kind of nit-picky recently (missing magazines, missing scans, etc) so here's something a bit more positive. :)

On deck to be preserved, Turbo Force #3 (January 1993):

post-18528-0-87558100-1421603515.jpg

If all goes well I'll be scanning more saddle-stitched magazines in the coming months. Perhaps with a focus on Video Games & Computer Entertainment but I'll likely mix things up to keep things interesting. I'll have a better idea once I have an opportunity to dig into my collection.

Cheers,

RetroDefense

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Thanks Areala - the Turbografx line is often under-rated so was glad to preserve some coverage from back in the day.

Took me a little longer than expected but I think I've worked out all the kinks. If this issue of Turbo Force is approved by the curators I'll probably tackle an issue of Mega Play next. Or maybe jump straight into some VG&CE.

With this scan of Turbo Force issue #3, all four issues are now archived here at RetroMags. Always nice to have a complete run. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I do plan to get to VG&CE eventually but need to rearrange my home office a bit. Currently dealing with a lack of desk space.

Digital Press was one of the greats back in the day - Joe Santulli and friends really knew their stuff. Still do, apparently - the website and game store are still going strong.

I ran across a partial archive of Paradox a good while ago. Not sure who maintains it, though. And Jess Ragan's OnFile is still online but hasn't been updated in a very long time.

But yeah - as you say - "seldom mentioned." Who knows - perhaps RetroMags will introduce a fanzine section someday. :)

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the Turbo Force issue above. It includes a two-page feature spotlighting the fanzine scene. One reason why I wanted to preserve it, actually. :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have a few VG&CE issues I can upload for you, if you'd rather edit those than Next Generation!

If you have any issues of VG&CE not already preserved, go ahead and upload 'em! :) My eventual VG&CE scans are going to take some extra time & work as I won't be debinding the issues, so any you can add to the archive, the better. The Team Sega Newsletter issue is something of a test run for my future VG&CE scans, actually.

I'm committed to editing those three Next Generation issues and will probably edit more of your scans eventually. Especially VG&CE and NG, as those are some of my favorite 'zines and I'm glad to see them preserved. You'll find I like to jump around just so I don't get bored with any one thing, though. One day I'll be scanning, the next indexing, or editing, or working with cover galleries, or posting about missing mags, etc.

E-Day, it's a short magazine so shouldn't take long! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An edited Video Games & Computer Entertainment #2 (February 1989) is preserved and ready for download/mirroring.

https://archive.org/details/vgce_02

I'm only responsible for the editing on this one - thanks to RetroMags' own marktrade for all of the scan work! (If you'd like to help with his backlog of unedited magazines, please check out his Work In Progress discussion.)

• Like 2

The Team Sega Newsletter #7 (December 1989) is preserved and ready for download/mirroring.

https://archive.org/details/tsn_007

Sorry, this magazine scan doesn't include the Altered Beast poster. Not a huge deal, really - the poster wasn't unique to the magazine and is fairly common. It was included with a Genesis game or two, if I recall - maybe with the original release of Altered Beast? It features Genesis Altered Beast artwork on the front, a "Your World Will Never Be The Same" advertisement on the back.

Here's a visual aid.

• Like 1