Does anyone here have a Virtual Boy?

LostLuggage

Would like to see these translated to the 3DS as Virtual Console titles someday.

i pitched this to my Nintendo rep about a year ago. she seemed genuinely interested in the idea and promised to pitch it to her superiors. never heard about it again, although i can't say i'm entirely surprised. i really doubt there's much demand.

edit:

the way i suggested it was a Virtual Boy cartridge. the case looks like virtual boy packaging (AKA lots of red) and it includes a cheap pair of 3d glasses printed to look like the virtual boy console. i thought it may be cool to have something collectible beside the novelty of almost 20 year old games.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember buying a Virtual Boy when it was released (I was in the Navy at the time). After playing Wario Land and Red Alarm for a few weeks though I sold it to a friend. Never could play the games longer than 20-30 minutes without taking a break. It wasn't until recently that I've thought about getting another one to add to my collection. If I ever run across a good deal I might pick one up though I hear they are rare.

• 1 month later...
  • Retromags Curator

Never had one, but would like to try it out. Had it been done with regular colour LCDs and gave a 3D effect like the Viewmaster things do, I think it would have done better than it did, though the setup would probably be just as goofy.

The cost would have been too prohibitive. There were color 3d goggles available for the pc at the time which costed $500-800. And more colors would have meant a much more powerful cpu or graphics chip would have been needed. It was still very much a market aimed at kids and teens in those days, so it might have bombed even harder.